Pokeball Questions (Not how they work.) - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pokeball Questions (Not how they work.)

The Wings of a Butterfree Not Skarmory Armor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonTrainerLisa View Post
    Yes, but the "bruise" was red.

Pokeballs use red light to capture Pokemon. And judging from Ash and everyone's expressions, it would seem like the Pokeball tried to absorb him (well, his face anyway).

Besides, I doubt that everyone would be surprised for nothing.
    You know, most Smacks/Hits/Bruises that occur in any anime are red.

Banner done by A_F Thankies

Nah in the games they block it with their hand and yell "hey don't be a thief"

Does Team Rocket hire? ImJessieTR's Avatar

Yes, human trainers can block pokeballs. However, to catch a pokemon, one must be willing or near-exhausted ... neither of which applies to the human trainer (usually). That may be why humans aren't usually caught.
    Protect the World from Devastation -- a fanfic
    Has anyone else noticed a weird progression in fanaticism as the generations progressed? Giovanni must define himself in the presence of the religious fanatics and the cruel sociopath....

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ImJessieTR View Post
    However, to catch a pokemon, one must be willing or near-exhausted ...
    Or involve a Master Ball, or a Quick Ball sometimes, or things of that sort.

Does Team Rocket hire? ImJessieTR's Avatar

Yeah ... I forgot about those. :D

I wonder if anyone's tried a master ball on a trainer in any source other than the games.
    Protect the World from Devastation -- a fanfic
    Has anyone else noticed a weird progression in fanaticism as the generations progressed? Giovanni must define himself in the presence of the religious fanatics and the cruel sociopath....

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    I have some questions about pokeballs.

#1: Are they considered weapons?

I mean if you think about it, you need a license to possess them. And if they have a pokemon, they can be FAR more destructive than any firearm.

#2: (ties in with #1) Can you carry them on planes?

If you can carry them on planes, can you carry only empty pokeballs? Again think about it, you could don a gas mask and hijack the plane using a Weezing (threaten to gas everyone on the plane) or you could release an Electrode or Voltorb and threaten to have it use selfdestruct or explosion. (I'm assuming a Voltorb has an explosive yield of a large hand grenade and an Electrode has the explosive yield of a satchel charge <10 or so pounds of high explosive>)

#3: Is it possible for them to catch humans?

It's already canon that they can catch things that aren't pokemon (donut/rice ball). And in the games, pokemon trainers will apparently use their bodies to block capture balls that are thrown at their pokemon. So do pokeballs have a safety mechanism that prevents them from activating if they contact humans? What would happen if that mechanism failed or was intentionally disabled for nefarious purposes (kidnapping comes to mind)? Would a human suffer serious injuries or death from being captured, be captured like a pokemon or suffer injuries from the direct impact of the ball itseld (pokeballs appear to have the same mass and size as a large rock or baseball).
    1. Yes, definitely. If they're not, that's just ridiculous. Any device that could potentially unleash a giant, fire-breathing lizard on a person's ass should definitely be considered a weapon.

2. Do people use planes in the Pokemon world? Even Giovanni seems to use one mostly for the luxury value than for a really practical purpose. But then again, not everyone is a trainer. The answer is a no, for reasons you've already stated.

3. No.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NoDontRapeMeOMG View Post
    1. Yes, definitely. If they're not, that's just ridiculous. Any device that could potentially unleash a giant, fire-breathing lizard on a person's ass should definitely be considered a weapon.
    Is it the Pokeball, or the giant fire breathing lizard that is the weapon then? Should I not be allowed to carry an empty Pokeball on the plane? Or Carry a Pokeball which houses a harmless Togepi?

Surely an empty Pokeball is no more dangerous than a fork, yet you immediately categorize all of them as weapons. Your answer was a mere "yes" with reasons being that they can unleash fire breathing creatures, yet those creatures are not the ones you seem to be reffering to as weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by "L" View Post
    Is it the Pokeball, or the giant fire breathing lizard that is the weapon then? Should I not be allowed to carry an empty Pokeball on the plane? Or Carry a Pokeball which houses a harmless Togepi?

Surely an empty Pokeball is no more dangerous than a fork, yet you immediately categorize all of them as weapons. Your answer was a mere "yes" with reasons being that they can unleash fire breathing creatures, yet those creatures are not the ones you seem to be reffering to as weapons.

Well, that sort of strikes me as like asking if you should be allowed to carry an empty gun with no bullets on to a plane. Technically, that wouldn't really do much harm either, would it? But you still can't do that either, because it's just too much risk. Nearly all Pokemons, Togepi included, are supernatural powerhouses that could easily destroy a plane in 36 different ways in the wrong hands. It's just too much risk. I stand by my belief that the Pokeball is a weapon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NoDontRapeMeOMG View Post
    Well, that sort of strikes me as like asking if you should be allowed to carry an empty gun with no bullets on to a plane.
    The analogy is better compared to a box or a bag than an empty gun, which I knew you, or someone would bring up, whcih makes me regrett not posting this sooner.

You see, though you are carrying an unloaded gun, someone else on that plane can be carrying a box of bullets, thereby making it a weapon. However, one cannot easily sneak a Charizard onto an airplane outside their Pokeball, and if they had, what would be the purpose of putting it back onto its Pokeball?

And really, don't they have some sort of machine you put a bag or box through to see if it is carrying anything dangerous? They obviously have something like that for Pokeballs, as shown in the many league tournaments ash has gone through, not to mention that machine at the end of the game after the E4.

It was also shown in Pokemon 7 that when network signals are blocked, the Pokeballs cannot be opened (which I find stupid for reasons I will not go into) but surely, they have the technology to jam signals in the Pokeball to keep it from opening on an airplane as a precaution.

What you propose is that anything that can be used to carry a weapon in, is technically a weapon. With that said, it is in my opinion that everyone should be required to go naked while boarding a plane, since one can easily contain guns, bombs (liquid or otherwise), knives, or any other sort of weapons you can think of. Infact, they should keep their mouthes open the whole time incase they are trying to hide something in there aswell, and must go through a thorough body cavity check. Only then, will we be safe, knowing that, any place you can hide a weapon has been checked.

But oh wait, our nails and teeth can seriously harm someone! We must have our teeth removed and our nails cut! But even then we can choke people! Perhaps we should be restrained onto our seats! All this for the safetey of our passengers!
    Last edited by The Outrage; 25th May 2008 at 07:02 PM.

Actually I just watched one of my Orange Island DVDs and in Bound for Trouble Ash throws his pokeball with the Bubasaur at James like a projectile, so yeah the pokeball itself is a projectile.

And if they did prevent pokemon from being on airplanes, then I guess Ash has never been on an airplane and never will. Plus when they rode the blimp they didn't have to leave their pokemon, though this could be just team rocket breaking the rules to catch pikachu.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They were on an airplane in an episode. There was this old guy and a really old Noctowl...but that wasn't a commercial flight. Anyway, the pokemon had to work together to hold the plane together.

The analogy is better compared to a box or a bag than an empty gun, which I knew you, or someone would bring up, whcih makes me regrett not posting this sooner.

You see, though you are carrying an unloaded gun, someone else on that plane can be carrying a box of bullets, thereby making it a weapon. However, one cannot easily sneak a Charizard onto an airplane outside their Pokeball, and if they had, what would be the purpose of putting it back onto its Pokeball?

And really, don't they have some sort of machine you put a bag or box through to see if it is carrying anything dangerous? They obviously have something like that for Pokeballs, as shown in the many league tournaments ash has gone through, not to mention that machine at the end of the game after the E4.

It was also shown in Pokemon 7 that when network signals are blocked, the Pokeballs cannot be opened (which I find stupid for reasons I will not go into) but surely, they have the technology to jam signals in the Pokeball to keep it from opening on an airplane as a precaution.

What you propose is that anything that can be used to carry a weapon in, is technically a weapon. With that said, it is in my opinion that everyone should be required to go naked while boarding a plane, since one can easily contain guns, bombs (liquid or otherwise), knives, or any other sort of weapons you can think of. Infact, they should keep their mouthes open the whole time incase they are trying to hide something in there aswell, and must go through a thorough body cavity check. Only then, will we be safe, knowing that, any place you can hide a weapon has been checked.

But oh wait, our nails and teeth can seriously harm someone! We must have our teeth removed and our nails cut! But even then we can choke people! Perhaps we should be restrained onto our seats! All this for the safetey of our passengers!
    Something tells me that just putting Pokemons in separate planes is much easier than cutting nails/pulling teeth.

And yes, in technicality, anything is a weapon, but some weapons are less dangerous than others. I have a feeling a highjacker using a fork as a weapon won't last all that long before he gets his ass beat and tied up somewhere.

Blog Entries

Sword and Sheath vs. Gun and Bullets

Better analogy.

Bullets don't work without the gun, the gun does not work without bullets.

The sword can still do damage without its sheath, the sheath is merely there to protect the sword. However, the sheath alone does nothing. If I have to explain the Pokemon comparison to that to anyone, then they have problems since its fairly clear.

Blog Entries

1) I'd say that Poké Balls don't count as weapons and yet they can be. They aren't designed as such but given a chance, anything can be used as a weapon with varying effectiveness. The problem is, their sturdiness seems to be very much ambiguous, both internally and externally. A bit of force can break them as can dropping them, episode dependant. In the anime a failed capture simply returns the ball to the trainer but it renders the ball useless in the games, for example. That said, the shards could pierce the skin or cut it.

Gee, I'm thinking too hard about this. >_>;

2) I'd say yes since most people don't use Pokémon as weapons. Those that do (Cipher, Team Rocket etc.) can be spotted a mile off. Besides, they're allowed on boats, trains etc. so why not planes?

3) No. While humans and Pokémon may well have been "the same" once they aren't now. If they were, everyone would just say "human human human" in the games and anime. Then again, Mystery Dungeon shows Pokémon speech as regular speech. However, because such a distinction can be made, I'd say that humans and Pokémon are too dissimilar. Even Jynx, which appears to speak almost like a human, Pokémon that can communicate telepathically or even special cases like Team Rocket's Meowth aren't close enough to human. Genetically, there is probably a huge difference between human and Pokémon. As such, Poké Balls cannot capture Pokémon.
    no moar sig 4 u D=<

Sword and Sheath vs. Gun and Bullets

Better analogy.

Bullets don't work without the gun, the gun does not work without bullets.

The sword can still do damage without its sheath, the sheath is merely there to protect the sword. However, the sheath alone does nothing. If I have to explain the Pokemon comparison to that to anyone, then they have problems since its fairly clear.
    All Pokemons are pretty dangerous, even seemingly harmless ones like Togepi (Metronome can potentially turn into a Hyper Beam or Blast Burn), so it's probably in the best interest of the passengers to not let them carry anything that could potentially be/carry Pokemon.

The sheath can be used as a blunt weapon though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast