Pokeball Questions (Not how they work.)
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokeball Questions (Not how they work.)

Blog Entries

Default Pokeball Questions (Not how they work.)

I have some questions about pokeballs.

#1: Are they considered weapons?

I mean if you think about it, you need a license to possess them. And if they have a pokemon, they can be FAR more destructive than any firearm.

#2: (ties in with #1) Can you carry them on planes?

If you can carry them on planes, can you carry only empty pokeballs? Again think about it, you could don a gas mask and hijack the plane using a Weezing (threaten to gas everyone on the plane) or you could release an Electrode or Voltorb and threaten to have it use selfdestruct or explosion. (I'm assuming a Voltorb has an explosive yield of a large hand grenade and an Electrode has the explosive yield of a satchel charge <10 or so pounds of high explosive>)

#3: Is it possible for them to catch humans?

It's already canon that they can catch things that aren't pokemon (donut/rice ball). And in the games, pokemon trainers will apparently use their bodies to block capture balls that are thrown at their pokemon. So do pokeballs have a safety mechanism that prevents them from activating if they contact humans? What would happen if that mechanism failed or was intentionally disabled for nefarious purposes (kidnapping comes to mind)? Would a human suffer serious injuries or death from being captured, be captured like a pokemon or suffer injuries from the direct impact of the ball itseld (pokeballs appear to have the same mass and size as a large rock or baseball).

Here's an answer to #3

Human Trainers

Torterra
    •Earthquake
    •Frenzy Plant
    •Iron Head
    •Stone Edge
    Lickilicky
    •Focus Blast
    •Ice Beam
    •Power Whip
    •Surf
    Spiritomb
    •Dark Pulse
    •Psychic
    •Shadow Ball
    •Shadow Sneak
    Giratina
    •Draco Meteor
    •Shadow Force
    •Silver Wind
    •Thunderbolt
    Magmortar
    •Earthquake
    •Flamethrower
    •Psychic
    •ThunderPunch
    Crobat
    •Cross Poison
    •Fly
    •Heat Wave
    •X-Scissor

Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Qskecksget View Post
    Here's an answer to #3

Human Trainers
    Oh wow, that is hilarious.

There was an episode where someone tried to recall a pokémon but the red light hit Jessie, seemingly hurting her. Although that's different than actually throwing the pokéball at her to catch her.

Blog Entries

There seems to be contradicting evidence for this.

In the first season, we have "Charmander, The Stray Pokemon!", where one of Damian's Pokeballs actually tries to catch him (there's red light and everything). And naturally, everyone looks VERY shocked about this happening!

The first contradicting evidence we have, comes from an episode in Battle Frontier. It's the first time where Ash tries to catch Aipom. However, using its tail, Aipom hits the ball back to Ash, and this knocks him down or something.

But more recently in the anime, there was an episode of D/P (I'm pretty sure it was "Setting The World on its Buneary") where Dawn tries to catch a Pokemon but her Pokeball ended up hitting Ash instead. Although, rather than trying to "suck him in", it just bounced off his face pretty much. XD

DOES IT VIA COPY/PASTE Æsahættr's Avatar
    Blog Entries

#2.

No, I don't think you could, simply to prevent accidents. It's canon that you can transfer Pokemon inside their Pokeballs via PC linkup, so I'd assume they'd send them on in that fashion.

Facebook | Twitter | LJ
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

The sun? Thats the hottest place on earth!

Just wondering, how do pokemon who have owners not get captured when another trainer throws a pokeball at them? Like when Dawn threw pokeball at ash's Pikachu but it would not go in pokeball because it belonged to Ash.

Also, how do trainers know which pokemon is in which pokeball? They all look same right? With exceptions of different balls of course.

Relpy to #1: Dark balls could be considered dangerous because it can make pokemon evil, like what Vicious did to Celebi when he caught it in dark ball. It could be illegal to use them and get arrested for trying to if caught.

and at #3: A response here I fiund which could explain why they don't catch humans: http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/pokegirls/whatis02.html#DQ3

For any legally produced pokeballs, it just won't work on a human. There is a built in lockout on human DNA and while Pokegirl DNA is similar, there are key differences between even a strong-bloodgifted human and a pokegirl. A pokegirl could concievably use one to keep another pokegirl in check, but since she couldn't be a tamer as the captured girl would legally go to whoever the tamed pokegirl is registered to.

However, with illegal modifications, it IS possible to capture humans, but since the pokeballs are hardwired for pokegirls only (and any information about what circuits contain that information is such a high level secret that even getting close to it is warrant enough for death), the result of the illegal modifications will turn a human into a random pokegirl, most likely an Ingenue (unless it's programmed for a specific pokegirl type). For bloodgifted individuals, it's whatever is closest to their genes.
    Last edited by Shinx3000; 17th April 2008 at 04:24 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonTrainerLisa View Post
    T
    In the first season, we have "Charmander, The Stray Pokemon!", where one of Damian's Pokeballs actually tries to catch him (there's red light and everything). And naturally, everyone looks VERY shocked about this happening!
    Is that the episode where Damian and Ash almost get into a pokemon battle are told off by Nurse Joy who states, "Pokemon are never to be used in personal battles. It's disrespectful to the pokemon and their trainers."? I don't recall Damian being the target of a malfunctioning pokeball.

Blog Entries

Yep, that's the same episode.

Well, the incident with the Pokeball happens near the end of the episode. It's when Damian throws his Pokeball at Charmander - it hits it back to him (nearly sucking him in).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonTrainerLisa View Post
    Yep, that's the same episode.

Well, the incident with the Pokeball happens near the end of the episode. It's when Damian throws his Pokeball at Charmander - it hits it back to him (nearly sucking him in).
    I just looked at it, Damian is not nearly captured. He just ends up with a huge bruise on his face from the pokeball hitting him.
    Last edited by Drakon; 18th April 2008 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Extra Info

Blog Entries

Yes, but the "bruise" was red.

Pokeballs use red light to capture Pokemon. And judging from Ash and everyone's expressions, it would seem like the Pokeball tried to absorb him (well, his face anyway).

Besides, I doubt that everyone would be surprised for nothing.

They were surprised by Charmander's reaction considering how he has previously been so determined to return to Damian. And Damian's not the only one to get a red bruise. I never thought he was about to be sucked in, tbh.

Anyone remember the ep with the huge Gengar, Alakazam, and Jigglypuff? That weird ancient Pokeball thing could capture humans.

Also, how do trainers know which pokemon is in which pokeball? They all look same right? With exceptions of different balls of course.
    Ritchie uses stickers. And I suppose trainers keep the Pokeballs in the same spot and they just remember where each Pokeball is. It's simple if you've got a belt like Ash. I do recall Misty sending out the wrong Pokemon before (and I don't mean Psyduck just popping out) but she keeps hers in her backpack so they probably roll around.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinx3000 View Post
    Just wondering, how do pokemon who have owners not get captured when another trainer throws a pokeball at them? Like when Dawn threw pokeball at ash's Pikachu but it would not go in pokeball because it belonged to Ash.

First: I believe that, when captured, an energy signature of some kind of left on the Pokemon, invisible to the naked eye but detectable by the PokeBall, thus making it unable to capture the Pokemon.

Second: In some comics at least, you can see through the top of the ball when close enough, liked tinted glass. But they have shown no evidence of this in the cartoon, so maybe they keep them in specific order, like Ash does on his belt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MondoTR View Post
    And I suppose trainers keep the Pokeballs in the same spot and they just remember where each Pokeball is. It's simple if you've got a belt like Ash.
    I completely agree with this theory!

This makes a lot of sense for the anime, actually. ^^

For example, in "The Chikorita Rescue", there's a scene where they show Ash reaching directly for Charizard's Pokeball (but of course, Ash had left his belt and Pokeballs at the Pokemon Center, lol). XD

So yeah, trainers like Ash (who wear Pokeball-belts) just remember which Pokeball is which.

Question 1 & 2:
    I think they're considered 'cages'. I mean, it'll kinda hurt if someone throws a cage at your head, but it doesn't do much if it's empty. On the same note, the 'pokeairport security' would check to see if the pokeballs were empty. if they were, you'd be let on the plane, if not, they'd be thrown in the back with cargo or confinscated to be reimbursed when you land...hopefully...
    Question 3:
    I'm going with what everyone else is saying, the order, and MAYBE the weight. If you want to follow the law of 'matter cannot be created nor destroyed' we can awesome the pokemon would keep different weights inside pokeballs, just condensed. So a Onix would be heavier than a squirtle. Also, perhaps, a fire type might have a hot ball, an electric type might give you a bit of a spark, and so on.
    So, single-type trainers, like Misty or Brock, would have more problems finding theirs since they all feel the same.

1) I thought the licenses were only for handling Pokemon? I suppose without the Pokemon inside, you could use an empty Pokemon as a projectile. (Similar to the way you can in the Smash series)

2) If we're basing things on the anime or even the games, humans of these worlds seem to be much more resilient to things humans of our world might consider threats. Lightning bolts, fire blasts, compressed bursts of water, and even explosions only seem to deal minor damage to humans in the anime, so I don't think there's much to worry about there. Furthermore, the Pokemon world seems to be a relatively safe place. The only 'true' troublemakers we've seen are Team Rocket, who went so far as to kill certain Pokemon.

3) As for this, I'm pretty sure capturing non-Pokemon was done simply for an amusement factor. In the games though, I could have sworn trainers blocked other Pokeballs by throwing Pokeballs of their own to counter...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast