Poke yen(whatever the currency's called) Inflation

Thread: Poke yen(whatever the currency's called) Inflation

Default Poke yen(whatever the currency's called) Inflation

okay, so I just started thinking when I was playing pokemon mystery dungeon that as a meowth, I had more poke then any one else who played...pokemon mystery dungeon. So then I wondered, don't Meowth and pokemon that learn pay day hurt the pokemon economy? Eventually everyone would want a meowth and make it use pay day, and then would the economy eventually be put to a point where 1000000000000 poke yen meant one us dollar because of serious inflation?

so.... do you think the economy in the pokemon world is obsolete? Or do you think Pay day produces clear counterfeits?

Default Re: Poke yen(whatever the currency's called) Inflation

Well, if you can use the money that you get from pay day legally, then it's real money, but the pokemon world is screwed up anyway when it comes to laws; I mean, ten year old girls in short skirts sleeping in some random strangers house? I mean, there has to be SOME law against people setting up cottages in mountains and insisting that little children stay!? Then again, there isn't one in the real world that I know of... I'm getting off topic aren't I?

Anyway, meowths could be the money making machines of the pokemon world's government for all we know, and they haven't thought of a way around stopping people doing that yet. So in conclusion, there's most likely HUGE inflation in the pokemon world, but the people just aren't very bright for the height of technology that they're at...

On a side note, my 200th post!

Thanks to King of Jesus (Neodark) for the banner!

Well seeing as Meowth can have the Pickup ability, it's not a huge stretch of the imagination that it's money that it found on the trail between battles. People are exchanging money after battles all the time. Some may fall on the ground. In fact, we KNOW some falls on the ground when a trainer is defeated by a wild Pokemon. And if Meowth can find potions, I'm sure it can find dropped change. And then when you command it to use Pay Day, it uses its found wealth as a weapon. In fact, that's the only way you can get it to give up it's shiny golden discs. Otherwise, it hordes them.

Inflation averted.

Humanity's Strongest Shiny Celebi's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

I always assumed that Pay Day money was real money in the game
    tumblr(not spoiler free)

Quote Originally Posted by DRaB View Post
    Well seeing as Meowth can have the Pickup ability, it's not a huge stretch of the imagination that it's money that it found on the trail between battles. People are exchanging money after battles all the time. Some may fall on the ground. In fact, we KNOW some falls on the ground when a trainer is defeated by a wild Pokemon. And if Meowth can find potions, I'm sure it can find dropped change. And then when you command it to use Pay Day, it uses its found wealth as a weapon. In fact, that's the only way you can get it to give up it's shiny golden discs. Otherwise, it hordes them.

Inflation averted.
    .....but it's always an item. And my point in that if meowth is holding another item, it can't use its "pickup" ability, and(especially in pkmn mystery dungeon)I am always holding an item and so i don't sense any new items, but I use pay day so many times because it's my strongest move.

In the pokemon main series, you may have a point, but the more times you use pay day in battle(from my experience) the more poke yen you can get, but I don't believe poke yen is dropped that much because it would mean that billions of billions of people are careless and drop their poke yen..... unless it's possibly due to inflation!

Blog Entries

It's a common element in RPGs in general that enemies oftentimes hold money and items. The economy would skyrocket when people like you learn to simply slay a few monsters and rake in all the cash you want. But economy's not such an important factor that it affects things in a game. Also note, and this is true for Pokémon too, more powerful items cost more. Full Restores cost more than Super Potion, and stronger Pokémon require larger balls like Ultra Balls to catch them.

Pokémon averts this to an extent by making the money a prize for beating a trainer ant held items being unable to take without a special move, and even then it's rare to find held items on wild Pokémon.
    Selling items also makes money. I can easily make $100,000 every day raking in what the Underground holds. My wallet's maxxed out.

Suspended disbelief. Sometimes something just works as a gameplay mechanic or is just necessary for the game to be balanced, but doesn't make sense even in internal game logic. Sometimes it doesn't have to make sense, you just kind of look the other way when it happens. If the game doesn't address it in-character it's not a problem.

A similar problem exists in FFVII. A major concern in the game is that using materia eventually uses them up, depleting the world's irreplaceable life force. But in gameplay mechanics, using materia makes it stronger. You just look the other way when it happens because seriously, the game would be a terrible pain the other way.

I remember years ago an MMO developer commented on why random animals dropped gold. "Because shut up, that's why."

Minion of the Damned cityvillain's Avatar

I assume the coins generated by Meowth's pay day are coins filled with mystical energy that disappears once it hits the opponent. But wait, the user can pick up coins after the battle once pay day is used. Maybe just to make the move in game sound special. To set aside from tackle and other damaging moves with no secondary effect. Coz I never seen Jessie and James ordered Meowth to generate money for them. If they would, they'll just stop chasing Ash and live a filthy rich lifestyle.
    Kenta's Pokemon Party

Quote Originally Posted by Lezard View Post
    Suspended disbelief. Sometimes something just works as a gameplay mechanic or is just necessary for the game to be balanced, but doesn't make sense even in internal game logic. Sometimes it doesn't have to make sense, you just kind of look the other way when it happens. If the game doesn't address it in-character it's not a problem.

A similar problem exists in FFVII. A major concern in the game is that using materia eventually uses them up, depleting the world's irreplaceable life force. But in gameplay mechanics, using materia makes it stronger. You just look the other way when it happens because seriously, the game would be a terrible pain the other way.

I remember years ago an MMO developer commented on why random animals dropped gold. "Because shut up, that's why."
    lol...true that I never thought of that for Maplestory.

that does make sense, except that thee's team rocket and they steal money, and many people think that is somehow more realistic then team aqua ad magma, when the economy is obsolete if money is prize. That would mean Team Rocket would be a prize-stealing team, the problem is you and the item mart peole are the only ones with the prizes then.

Þæ åsåmste mæn ån þæ sæit Battaman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cityvillain View Post
    I assume the coins generated by Meowth's pay day are coins filled with mystical energy that disappears once it hits the opponent. But wait, the user can pick up coins after the battle once pay day is used. Maybe just to make the move in game sound special. To set aside from tackle and other damaging moves with no secondary effect. Coz I never seen Jessie and James ordered Meowth to generate money for them. If they would, they'll just stop chasing Ash and live a filthy rich lifestyle.
    This is actually excused in the anime, as Meotwh learned "how to be human" before he learned Pay Day and thus he can't learn it. But I don't know how the move works in the anime.

And yes, it's just another logic vs. game mechanic thing. It doesn't make sense to send 10 years old out to capture monsters either, but that's what thees games are based around. Logic + Pokemon = untrue.

FC: 2766-8797-7935 Known as Bent in game
    Due to reaching 90 friends om my 3DS, I will not add anyone anymore random people, I'm sorry, don't take it personally.