Pokémon World Maps - Page 50

Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Pokémon World Maps

Default Re: Pokémon World Maps

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrainStationH View Post
    Except Unova is explicitly based on New York and not Shanghai, its not as though the two are interchangeable and of negligible difference to each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben of Bebe Mignon View Post
    I hope you DO realize that the Unova region is based on NYC, not Shanghai. Even Junichi Masuda (I might be stating the wrong person, though) said that Unova is based on New York City.
    Short-term memory loss?
    Quote Originally Posted by NikNaks View Post
    I do also know that Unova is meant to be New York, as you can see from this alternative version that I started a while back. However, it seemed a bit untidy, so I decided just to place it on the Asian mainland instead.
    Yes, it's New York. It's inescapably New York. But it's much easier to put it where Shanghai is logistically. Capiche?

Quote Originally Posted by Kameinu View Post
    Actually that interpretation is very interesting. Thanks for sharing that, highly appreciate it.
    No problem! :3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ben of Bebe Mignon View Post
    I remember you from BW pre-release. I'm just curious as to why you really wanted Shanghai instead of NYC.
    Wow, someone remembers.

The reason I want(ed) Shanghai instead of NYC is simple:

It fits bitter.

Think about all the things in BW that can be linked to things from China.

(Off the top of my head)
    Tepig's Line
    Reshiram and Zekrom (and by extension, Kyurem)
    Darmanitan (Legend of the Bodhidharma)
    Team Plasma (Plenty of conflict between Europe and China throughout history)
    Sports Stadiums (It may fit the US, but there are/were plans for China to build American Football stadiums)
    Genesect (Insect Fossils from China)
    Other things that aren't coming to mind right now.
    EDIT: Seven Sages (of the Bamboo Grove. I was the one to edit that on the Bulbapedia page, a long time ago)

Also think about this: If the Pokemon world was the same as our world, continent-wise, how much of the world would be left undiscovered (by us) if Unova was a part of China, rather than America? Think about how Unova has so many entire routes overrun with older Pokemon. If those Pokemon are so widespread, halfway across the world, then how many Pokemon are actually left to be discovered?

My problem with NYC is that it will cause the series a whole bunch of potential canon problems in the future, provided it has a future (I want it to, don't get me wrong). That's why I view it as a mistake.
    Last edited by Venator; 18th May 2011 at 02:38 PM.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." -George S. Patton
    Arceus is a false god. Only science knows the true answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Wow, someone remembers.

The reason I want(ed) Shanghai instead of NYC is simple:

It fits bitter.

Think about all the things in BW that can be linked to things from China.

(Off the top of my head)
    Tepig's Line
    Reshiram and Zekrom (and by extension, Kyurem)
    Darmanitan (Legend of the Bodhidharma)
    Team Plasma (Plenty of conflict between Europe and China throughout history)
    Sports Stadiums (It may fit the US, but there are/were plans for China to build American Football stadiums)
    Genesect (Insect Fossils from China)
    Other things that aren't coming to mind right now.
    EDIT: Seven Sages (of the Bamboo Grove. I was the one to edit that on the Bulbapedia page, a long time ago)

Also think about this: If the Pokemon world was the same as our world, continent-wise, how much of the world would be left undiscovered (by us) if Unova was a part of China, rather than America? Think about how Unova has so many entire routes overrun with older Pokemon. If those Pokemon are so widespread, halfway across the world, then how many Pokemon are actually left to be discovered?

My problem with NYC is that it will cause the series a whole bunch of potential canon problems in the future, provided it has a future (I want it to, don't get me wrong). That's why I view it as a mistake.
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_world_in_relation_to_the_real_world#Unova

Blog Entries

Thanks for the link that does not mean anything to me. :)

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." -George S. Patton

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Venator, we've been over this before. Just because there are chinese elements (some of the ones you listed barely qualify) doesn't mean it's based on china.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakeshi View Post
    Venator, we've been over this before. Just because there are chinese elements (some of the ones you listed barely qualify) doesn't mean it's based on china.
    And I am not here to incite argument. Only thoughts.

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All I have to say regarding this NY/Shanghai issue is that just because the B/W team didn't literally make Unova an over the top caricature of the United States like Eagleland in EarthBound dosen't mean that it's any less conceptually inspired by New York.

Heck, just a few weeks ago I even showed photographs of the cobblestone streets with abandoned train tracks from Nacrene City that actually exist in real world twin neighborhood of Brooklyn Heights. I believe Masuda even specifically pointed out on some blog entry of his that the Skyarrow Bridge mirrored the Brooklyn Bridge.

Even with their unique elements, pretty much any location in the Pokémon World is still going to fall into the same basic generic "pokeworld" template, which is still informed by it conceived by an Asian team.

Even when the evidence was OVERWHELMINGLY leaning in favor of Unova being based on New York, I couldn't fault the notion some clung to of it being based on Shanghai until we got the specific confirmation stating otherwise.

I just hope this doesn't become the split timeline/singular timeline thing in Zelda, though I would say this issue is MUCH more clear cut than that mess

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    And I am not here to incite argument. Only thoughts.
    Be that as it may, this is not the appropriate place to be bringing back your old arguments on the subject.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakeshi View Post
    Be that as it may, this is not the appropriate place to be bringing back your old arguments on the subject.
    What better place than the maps thread? (No, really. What place would be better suited?)

Also, I would like to point out that this map makes sense when you take into consideration that "Old World" Pokemon are only found on the eastern side of Unova. Just saying.

Blog Entries

I just hope this doesn't become the split timeline/singular timeline thing in Zelda, though I would say this issue is MUCH more clear cut than that mess
    It is known that Zelda timeline is split in two. So, it can't get clearer than that. :D

I FOUND IT. THE WORLD MAP OF POKEMON WITH ALL REGIONS

http://www.serebii.net/pokearth/index.shtml
    Last edited by Kayi-chan; 19th May 2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: fixing broken link

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rekless123 View Post
    I FOUND IT. THE WORLD MAP OF POKEMON WITH ALL REGIONS

">http://www.serebii.net/pokearth/index.shtml
    Where's Unova on it (not below the thing)? And Serebii's Pokéarth map isn't official, I hope you know, we're talking about official ones.

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Dante View Post
    It is known that Zelda timeline is split in two. So, it can't get clearer than that. :D
    Yes, but the problem is that Ocarina of Time doesn't mention that the ending split and the gameplay suggests a singular time flow. The Ocarina of TIme split timeline notion didn't exist at all until an Eiji Aonuma interview from around the time Wind Waker came out. Hopefully the game script for OOT 3D fixes this so the split is actually mentioned during the ending or something. Thats for a different board though.

Likewise in Black/White, we actually have cases of multiple neighborhoods we can can visit in the game and see actual real life equivalents and KNOW objectively that its based on New York.

Blog Entries

sorry, but Serebii's map is far from official. And the layout doesn't make much sense.

Blog Entries

Well, to be fair it was pretty obvious what Link planned to do when he went back to Zelda at the end, and Majora's Mask confirmed that something different occured with Child Link by way of the place wasn't being devistated and Zelda wasn't being rushed away in the flashback.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was said Real World New York = Pokéworld Unova by the designers. It can't be more confirmed then if there was a Pokébible with every region's design in and the Base City listed.

Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast