Pokémon World Government - Page 4

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Pokémon World Government

Quote Originally Posted by Kater
    roses ablaze as much as i agree, this is a community that revolves around Pokemon. A Pokemon Trainer is seen there as a Movie Star is seen in out sense. With no known government we can only assume that it is govern by the League Champion. This is how i see it. President= Champion, Senate= Elite Four Govereners= Gym Leaders. In towns without gym leaders they are seen over by Prof. or neighboring towns.
    Ugh. As a political science minor, I can't help but balk at this form of government. I can't imagine Misty running Cerulean City much less her sisters doing so. The Pokemon League is a private organization who's role is completely devoted for the purpose of setting rules for battles and establishing ladders for competitions. There's no evidence that they have any role in politics. Them involved in government would be akin to the NFL, Major League Baseball, or the NBA running the United States which is something people DO NOT WANT. Plus, there is evidence that cities are run without gym leaders. The cities in the Orange Islands come to mind. Plus, on Mandarin Island, we even see a mayor who's up for reelection running his campaign which was interesting to see.

We know there's an existance of government outside of Pokemon training. However, how that government is structured is up to debate (Is it structured on a federal system? Confederate system? Democratic? Republican? Constitutional monarchy?)

If their is a Government it does not take a major effect on the training world though. I do agree know that Gym Leaders dont run the governent nor do the elite four. I do believe though that their are seperate governments. The Orange Islands have one that seems different than the others. They are the only known ones to have a mayor. It is known though that in Orre they do have mayors. Could one mayor run an entire country? Does the Orange Island mayor run every Orange Island? Does the mayor in Phenac run all of Orre? The last question is who runs Kanto and Johto. I believe that those two are run by one government.

Sootopolis Water Pulser OkashiraShinomori's Avatar

I agree that Johto and Kanto are run by the same government. They are linked both by land and by League, and judging by the characters, they retain relations across both regions, so it's logical to assume they are governed by one entity.

-Harmony in both the Sky and Sea, I'm a GracefulShipper-

May the Aura be with you. FabuVinny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mayors seem to have the same scope of power as in our world.

Incidently, Pallet Town has got a mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by FabuVinny
    Mayors seem to have the same scope of power as in our world.

Incidently, Pallet Town has got a mayor.
    i dont think they have as much power as in out world. I think that they travel to different cities. We just see them in that city. So the "Pallet Town" mayor may run Kanto and Johto.

Blog Entries

So how does the mayor of Pallet Town have time to be a big support of Professor Oak's lab if he keeps travelling to each town and city of Kanto and Johto?

well that explains a lot about why Team Rocket is getting so big, because the mayors so bad. lol. No but he probably has a private jet to fly to each city and has other minor people look over the other cities.

Blog Entries

Have we seen any jets? I suppose Giovanni had some air transportation in Mewtwo Returns...

I'm not convinced.

If he doesnt have a jet then he has a Pokemon fly him.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Here's how I visualize the Pokeworld's government:

The Pokemon Master (or Mistress) acts like the president. Likewise, the Master/Mistress has a "cabinet" of attendants...the Elite Four act collectively as a vice president.

Likewise, there's probably something like a Senate/Parliament that makes the laws. Gym Leaders are a part of this senate/parliament, but other top trainers are there as well, making for roughly 100-150 members.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

Why would Pokemon trainers be the government? It's likely the government we know of the country. Pokemon training isn't the be all and end all of people's existance. The government is run by politicans like in ours.

I feel like Poomo tonight.

Unregistered

The Pokeworld is seen from through the eyes of Ash and the gang. They serve as proxies for the viewing audience.

How often do real-world pre-teens deal with the government? At most, they'll encounter police officers or fire fighters. Doubt they'd ever see a politician or a civil servant.

As far as I know, Ash and the gang have had two encounters with government. One was the mayor on Mandarin Island. The second was the king and queen of the Mirage Kingdom. In both situations, they were comfortable with the idea of government run by politicians or monarchs. They didn't freak out that gym leaders weren't running the government.

The Dude Abides

The scant hints of government we get paint an interesting picture. A decentralized governing system, loosely organized and purely local, and of course democratically elected. The Pokemon League seems to be the only structured government. What government there is happens to be corrupt, and incredibly weak. I would postulate the existence of a legislative assembly composed of representatives elected by local City Councils. This assembly would be presided over by a president.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

I relatively agree with INfinite Sceptile.

Kanto (and the others) seems to be an array of city-states, where people such as mayors are pretty much as far as it gets in terms of authority. The mayor in the OI episode did not seem to fear reprisals from above (ie, upper layers of government) much.

The League, on the other hand, would appear to be the only regions-wide organization, something like the International Olympics comitee. HOWEVER' due to the role played by pokémon training in that society (trainers are, after all, the people who interact, combat and control animals that could otherwise be very dangerous), this IOC takes on near-religious aspect in the way many people perceive and respect it, both among and outside trainers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Unregistered

If it seems like the League is the only multi-region organization, then maybe it's because it's the only one Ash has dealt with. That doesn't mean there isn't some sort of national government.

To borrow from the other thread about "The War", if such a war did occur, then it doesn't seem likely The War would involve individual city-states. It would have to involve at the minimum several city-states in some form of union fighting another union. Far more likely it would involve one nation against another.

As for the OI mayor not fearing a higher authority, in the real world there have been many mayors, governors, congressmen, senators etc. who felt the same way. So, in that respect, the anime actually reflects the real world.

Finally, if the Pokeworld consisted of city-states, wouldn't each city-state enact their own laws? Yet somehow, they seem to have enacted the same laws or so I would assume since Ash-tachi aren't particularly concerned about breaking the law as they enter each town and city. That tells me there is a higher authority than city-states.

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast