Are Pokémon 'immortal'?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Are Pokémon 'immortal'?

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Are Pokémon 'immortal'?

The majority of Ghost pokemons had a previous life (Yamask, for example). They originally died, but were brought back to life.

There's slso the fossil pokemons being revived. They died at some point, but were brought back by scientific means.

Are pokemon 'immortal'? They are stated to have a life span and are subject to death. But if they can be brought back by various means, then does 'death' even have a meaning in the pokemon world?

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Are pokemon are 'immortal'?

The way I see it is that they aren't brought back from death:

In Yamask case, it was a human whose spirit was concealed into a mask and that eventually became a pokémon. While their body technically died, it's mostly the method in which it did that gave it that fate. (Then whether new Yamask come from a similar fate, or from the existence of these new Yamask, or most likely a combination of both, that's another story).
    So I wouldn't call those so much "deaths" as "transformations".

When the scientists talk about "bringing an extinct pokémon back to life", I think they're reffering to the species itself. So the pokémon is cloned, and technically that DNA composition stored within the fossil is what is made into a living being again. But the original "owner" of that DNA is already long gone.

On the other hand, in the animeverse, Dr. Fuji did clone Amber with the intention of reviving her. So I guess that deppends on how you interpret Ambertwo having preassumbly Amber's memories.
    The Outrage likes this.

[/overexposition]

Registered User RemainsToLinger's Avatar

Well, this is the question that is made difficult by the fossils and Ghost-type. But essentually, no. In fact the whole thing about Alder is that the death of his precious Pokemon partner hurt him so much that he became a wanderer. Though I do wonder if you brought a bone of your deceased Pokemon to a lab, would that count in terms of fossil resurrection and if so would they be the same Pokemon with memories in tact, or would they be something entirely new? The game never specified if the fossil Pokemon are like that or not.

But Yamask and Froslass don't really count as Pokemon who defied death. They're Pokemon who defied the lines between human and Pokemon. The Dex info claims Yamask were once humans who now carry masks resembling their faces; Froslass is the soul of young women lost in the snowy mountains. So really, Yamask, Froslass, and Pokemon like them are in a league of their own really. Not powerwise, existance wise.
    Hmmm...Nope, I can't think of a think for a signature nor do I have any pictures I think would fit.

End transmission, please.

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, it seems like every Cubone's mother dies (or is killed, in that one case). And because that one Marowak was able to be killed, it wouldn't be immortal. Though, Pokemon do seem to be able to come back as ghosts or just be Ghost Pokemon in general.

Yun
    Blog Entries

As per Alder's situation... no. They aren't.

That's the way it is Tepig in a BBQ's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They aren't really 'immortal', but I think they can extend their lifespan by getting trained by Pokémon Trainer.

They are mortal, a few of them actually died. Alder's Volcarona, Latios from Pokémon Heroes, Lucario from 8th movie... :3

Visit Dralcax's Youtube Channel

Well, they do age and die naturally. I wonder if they age inside Pokeballs, or even require food and water as energy in the ball. It would kind of be weird to send out a dead Pokémon into battle after it perished in the ball without you noticing...

It's all depends on the Pokemon. Some are long Lived. Some, Longer lived then others.

There are many instances of Pokemon showing signs of old age in the anime.
    Some are implied to have lived much longer then even the characters in the Anime thought possible
    (implying it's uncommon, at least for that particular Pokemon, to live so long.)

Blog Entries

I'd say it covers various things. Some Pokemon originally where human and transformed into Pokemon (Religious/Mythical origin). Ghost Pokemon probably fall in here as well just not human based. There are various beliefes that state how ghost/demons/spirits and whatnot came to being. Others did develop scientific like humans I'd say and another kind was "created" like Porygon. Some Pokemon kind might even be only came to existence due the existence of humans. Bringing fossils back to live qualifies as cloning to me or recreating the original form by using various possible ways. I don't know how this whole cloning thing works scientific, for that I lack the intellect/knowledge. Pokemon age normally and might only have different lifespan as animals like we know have. They also bleed like most living beings. The catching/storing in Pokeballs, well I explain it to me as something like cryogenics to keep any needs at a minimum, not entirely shutting off since they still need food and water from time to time just not as often as usual.
    Last edited by Deadman; 31st March 2013 at 09:23 AM.
    Pokémon lasts forever...

Fanfiction.net:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1962116/bladeofjudgement
    DeviantART: http://bladeofjudgement.deviantart.com/

Got dat Kalos swag Sir Fabulous's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Alder's Bouffalant, a kid's Onix in the Sevii Islands, Latios, Lucario, Marowak, and IIRC several manga Pokemon are proof that Pokemon are not immortal. Some certain legendaries may be, though.
    I have claimed: Staraptor (01/12/13), Shiny Stone (02/12/13), and Limber (02/12/13).

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Also, I figure Ghost Pokémon (and obviously resurrected fossils) are capable of death themselves, even if it came from deceased spirits.

For example, probably a Spiritomb would dissipate with its stone totally destroyed. Or a Yamask could likewise fade away.

So even if you considered that kind of transformation averting death, it isn't permanent either.

Addressing the rest is irrelevant because it's obvious all can suffer some form of death, except probably deity-like beings. Pretty sure say, Dialga will exist as long time does for instance.

[/overexposition]

Trophies

They probably are not... They probably do live different ranges of time, with the Legendaries and ghost-types the longest.

If they do die, it would require things of high extremes to do that though, considering Pokemon don't "die" after getting hit with attacks that otherwise would kill them. Or old age...

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Pokemon have been shown to live in Pokeballs for years at a time, such as James Carnivine or that Sandshrew at the bottom of the lake in that episode in DP. Also, there's no telling how long Oak has had those 3 starter Pokemon, since he claimed to have caught them when he went on his journey. Perhaps Pokemon can't die while in their Pokeballs.

However, in the normal environment, accidents happen. Pokemon such as Kabuto could be caught in a mudslide or something. It's a bit gruesome to think about, but that's how many fossils that we have in real life were created. And the games have Pokemon graveyards, so obviously something happens to them. Perhaps Pokemon don't die of old age, but rather only by disease or accidents.

Add CliveKoopa on Facebook
    Visit CliveKoopa's Youtube Channel

Most of the legendary pokemon are immortal while others can die as shown in Lavender Town, etc

I do not believe in that crap about Yamask being human as previous posters have stated, that's just pokedex rubbish just like a lot of its entries. A pokemon is a pokemon, nothing to do with humans. Plus the pokedex tries to make out that there is only one of each pokemon like with Cubone's mother as if every single Cubone is an orphan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast