Playable characters' personalities?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playable characters' personalities?

Default Playable characters' personalities?

So far, the only scoop of a playable character's personality we got was Red's. We know that Red is a quiet young man who only responds with "yes" and "no" and he is obviously not afraid to just walk into a crime organization's hideout because he knows that he needs to save the day. And based on the same dialogue that Blue gives to Leaf (if she was chosen in the remakes), we can assume that she's similar to Red. However, have any of us received any insight on what the other playable characters are like? We know nothing about Ethan, Kris and Lyra. They might be like Red since they never talk either but then again all playable characters are like that. Also, some of the Kanto characters mention that they remind them of Red from three years ago, which could hint that they too are silent protagonists with no clear personality. Brendan/May, on the other hand, may be different because we see what they are like when they are not the playable characters. But then again, it is possible that their personalities shift depending on whether they are the playable character or not. So does anyone have any theories or proof that back up a playable character's personality?

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Playable characters' personalities?

It's mostly fanon. Red's lack of dialogue and the fact that he stands alone on top of a mountain in the Johto games have made many fans portray him as an untalkative stoic.

Some of the player characters' personalities are interpreted by their looks. I've read that many fans think that Hilbert is a generally nice guy while Hilda is a tough, mature tomboy. Don't know much about the others, though.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Red didn't seem all that quiet until GSC/HGSS, Blue in FR/LG said he was a chatty gossip, and he did seem a bit talkative as evidenced by Copycat girl.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    Blue in FR/LG said he was a chatty gossip
    Actually, this is what makes me think of him being quieter.

We all know how Blue is, so I figure Red could be contrast to him, being quieter and more reserved.

Not super-mute stoic like in some fanart, but certainly not a person who talks much. The waiter does call him "strong and silent" and I doubt he's being anything but sincere with that. Blue on the other hand messes around pretty often, so calling him a "chatty gossip" to me seems more fitting sarcastically.

Not being too outspoken and valuing bonding through actions seems fitting too with him being closer to Pokémon in general than Blue. But again, not to the extreme seen in fanart. Just enough to make Blue the popular jock full of himself and Red the quieter underdog.

[/overexposition]

HAHA from day one when I first battled him in Gold, I kind of had this headcanon that Red is silent and hiding on Mt. Silver because he is traumatized from of all the glitches we put him though. That aside, I think I agree with that idea about Hilbert and Hilda. Hilbert seems quite a bit more laid back to me.

Well, the player's character doesn't actually have a personality. They're suppose to be you. That's why they barely ever talk.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Mk-II View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    Blue in FR/LG said he was a chatty gossip
    Actually, this is what makes me think of him being quieter.

We all know how Blue is, so I figure Red could be contrast to him, being quieter and more reserved.

Not super-mute stoic like in some fanart, but certainly not a person who talks much. The waiter does call him "strong and silent" and I doubt he's being anything but sincere with that. Blue on the other hand messes around pretty often, so calling him a "chatty gossip" to me seems more fitting sarcastically.

Not being too outspoken and valuing bonding through actions seems fitting too with him being closer to Pokémon in general than Blue. But again, not to the extreme seen in fanart. Just enough to make Blue the popular jock full of himself and Red the quieter underdog.
    Agreed.

As for the other characters, I have some rather intricate headcanons (I might actually start a topic for discussion of player character headcanons).
    DeviantART: phoenixflaym
    Fanfictions: Obsessions Crystal Clear Gold Hearted Silver Lining
    Nimbasa Sunrise

Blog Entries

Red is hotblooded. He was shown in those comics that Bulbagarden seem to have removed from the archives recently and in the manual indicates as such when Red "gets excited because you are a curious boy." Leaf can probably share her role with Blue from those comics I mentioned before, a calm and looks like polite girl, not sure as I don't read Japanese.

Ethan can be seen in HGSS if you don't play as him, same as Lyra.

Brendan and May also have personalities seen when you don't play as them. Brendan has a bit of an ego, but is genuinely kind and determined in his goal, May is shy and nervous, tendency to forget but outgoing and excitable, an odd combonation.

Lucas and Dawn are a bit different. Lucas appears to be a thinker, but only after he's accomplished the task he thinks about. Dawn, meanwhile, is friendly and protective of peers and Pokémon, moreso then Lucas since she doesn't even want to think about fighting the player, but would if he wasn't kind to the creatures.

That's the first four, I do doubt I need to expand on the Gen V protagonists given their recent appearances. So I'll just leave this here.

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No no no, see, you guys are missing the point.
    Player characters a blank slate for whatever you want. They're all emotionless, motivationless, lifeless until you project onto them. The manga counterparts are simply interpretations, and same goes for the anime. They have no personality.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miles101 View Post
    No no no, see, you guys are missing the point.
    Player characters a blank slate for whatever you want. They're all emotionless, motivationless, lifeless until you project onto them. The manga counterparts are simply interpretations, and same goes for the anime. They have no personality.
    Actually, they do drop hints that indicate the PC has a personality of their own, they just remain quiet to give said illusion you're pointing out. So we're both right, they have a canon personality, but they're also whatever we project onto them :L

Blog Entries

I hate when people say silent protagonist = no personality, as if personality can only be determined by dialogue.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

Blog Entries

Aye, plus it's more fun to look for the hints then it is to be outright told =P Then again, I'm a bit of an amateur psychologist, so that might just be me |D

Okay I'll just list out my theories that are based on how they act when they are NPC's and how they look on official art.
    Red - He's not really much of a talker but he is still hot-blooded and adventurous and he is willing to put himself in danger if it involves saving the day.
    Leaf - She too is adventurous and hot-blooded but she has a cheerful personality, is caring and willing to make friends (which explains why she puts up with Blue).
    Ethan - He's helpful, adventurous and nurturing if the time calls for it.
    Lyra - Pretty much the same as Ethan (they have the same dialogue if they're NPC's so don't really know how to differentiate them).
    Brendan - He's kinda egotistical and a bit of a sexist (as an NPC he assumed that May was a boy before meeting her because she was a Gym Leader's kid and even says it out loud) but overall he's a friendly person who is willing to help).
    May - She's a shy but kind person who is eager to help out others when the time comes.
    (I'll do the rest later)

Blog Entries

This is how I see them in canon:

Red - a stoic guy.
    Leaf - not much I can say
    Ethan - a good advice-giver
    Lyra - ditto
    Brendan - a good guy overall, but can be a little bit of a jerk.
    May - a tomboy who is friendly and very competitive
    Lucas - not much I can say
    Dawn - a girly girl (in contrast to May) who is quite friendly
    Hilbert - a laid-back kind of guy who doesn't worry too much
    Hilda - a hot-blooded girl
    Nate - not much I can say
    Rosa - ditto.

I do think they leave a lot open to interpretation, though. That's why it's easy to use them in fanfics.

Quote Originally Posted by UnovaCastaway View Post
    Some of the player characters' personalities are interpreted by their looks. I've read that many fans think that Hilbert is a generally nice guy while Hilda is a tough, mature tomboy. Don't know much about the others, though.
    Funny you should mention that actually- there's a magazine page kicking around somewhere about Hilbert and Hilda that describes him as seeming cool and mature, and her as appearing tough and cheerful (or something to that effect). It's not so much meant to be their canon personalities as it is what their appearances invoke, but it's still kinda interesting. Want me to go find it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast