Parasect - Biological Questions and Theories - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parasect - Biological Questions and Theories

The Pokédex entries on Paras and Parasect seem to suggest that the Mushrooms possess a level of intelligence similar to that of some Pokémon (for example the behaviour of the Mushrooms seems similar to that of Shroomish).

It's certainly possible that the Mushroom is in fact a Pokémon in its own right (what differentiates a grass Pokémon from an ordinary plant? The Mushroom possesses abilites such as spore, aromatherapy and leech life; it seems to be able to think: it "orders" Paras to carry out actions according to the Crystal Pokédex).

Thank you for your answers.

Though I wish the Mushroom had taken over a Charizard, for that would be hilarious to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if Shroomish developed out of a common ancestor from the Paras/Parasect mushrooms considering the similar abilities (effect spore) and the fact that those are the only two Pokemon Families who naturally learn spore.

I mean if they were primitive Pokemon, then the Mushrooms on Paras/Parasect's back really wouldn't need to have changed that much now that they have a host, while the ones left on the ground may have had to developed into Shroomish.

After all, Paras are native to Kanto while Shroomish to Hoenn. The Hoenn Mushrooms may have had to develop rapidly to adapt while the Kanto ones just had to hitch a ride.

What makes you think pokemon follow Darwinism?

I realy dont think Long term evolution cohinsides with the short term evolution we see in the games.

I heard alot about How both Parisites and hosts benifit from eachover. Such as birds nesting on elephants backs. I wouldn't imagine that

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Empo' View Post
    What makes you think pokemon follow Darwinism?

I realy dont think Long term evolution cohinsides with the short term evolution we see in the games.

I heard alot about How both Parisites and hosts benifit from eachover. Such as birds nesting on elephants backs. I wouldn't imagine that
    The fact that Mew exists and is considered the common ancestor of all "known" Pokemon having all their DNA.

The East and West Shellos and Gastrodon being split apart by Mt. Cornet taking different forms showing some signs of "Darwin" evolution

The Non game-canon Orange Island showed how Pokemon's bodies are different from region to region. Even that is backed up by FRLG and Emerald back sprites of Venausaur. The Emerald ones had more rounded flowers, while FRLG had more ruffled petals. Unfortunately I cannot find the back sprites of these Pokemon.

The "shininess" of Pokemon obviously being caused my an incredibly recessive genetic mutation.

Pokemon's Short-term evolution in most cases, seems as though they are stages of life (and that is actually the topic of my next incredibly long Pokemon World Thread)

The fact that Mew exists and is considered the common ancestor of all "known" Pokemon having all their DNA.

The East and West Shellos and Gastrodon being split apart by Mt. Cornet taking different forms showing some signs of "Darwin" evolution

The Non game-canon Orange Island showed how Pokemon's bodies are different from region to region. Even that is backed up by FRLG and Emerald back sprites of Venausaur. The Emerald ones had more rounded flowers, while FRLG had more ruffled petals. Unfortunately I cannot find the back sprites of these Pokemon.

The "shininess" of Pokemon obviously being caused my an incredibly recessive genetic mutation.

Pokemon's Short-term evolution in most cases, seems as though they are stages of life (and that is actually the topic of my next incredibly long Pokemon World Thread)
    True. I'd just heard little about Darwinism in pokemon. I always imagine Arceus created all pokemon as they are.

About your new topic could it have anything to with evolution being a stage of life or a increase in power?

I always found it extremly confusing in the anime when I saw an elder Treecko from Ash's treekos clan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Empo' View Post
    True. I'd just heard little about Darwinism in pokemon. I always imagine Arceus created all pokemon as they are.
    That's creationism there.

About your new topic could it have anything to with evolution being a stage of life or a increase in power?

I always found it extremly confusing in the anime when I saw an elder Treecko from Ash's treekos clan.
    Little bit of both, but an explanation will be given to such things like that Treecko. The ideas and theories are all in my head, I just have to organize them.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 23rd March 2008 at 11:28 PM.

A gene can't really be "incredibly recessive". It can be recessive and incredibly rare. However, this does not seem to be the case, as one does not seem to need a parent carrying the gene to get a shiny, and breeding two shinies does not automatically produce another shiny. It seems more like an incredibly common mutation or, more likely, something that happens due to certain conditions in the egg. Obviously I support Darwinian evolution applying to Pokemon, though.
    If 50 Cent had been STAB'd instead of shot, he would be 75 Cent.

Blog Entries

Having a shiny parent in GSC yields a 1/64 chances of the offspring being shiny but was changed in recent generations. I think they also had some other values which helped prevent incest in GSC according to bulbapedia, but that along with the 1/64 shiny chance has been disposed of.

If its a mutation, then it has something to do with their genetics. Perhaps all Pokemon carry the shiny gene, and it is conditions in the egg that allow this gene to activate.

Having a shiny parent in GSC yields a 1/64 chances of the offspring being shiny but was changed in recent generations. I think they also had some other values which helped prevent incest in GSC according to bulbapedia, but that along with the 1/64 shiny chance has been disposed of.
    Aw, that's very sad. I'd really like to be able to breed for shinies.
    If 50 Cent had been STAB'd instead of shot, he would be 75 Cent.

Registered User Bittersweet Romanticide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesus Is Lord View Post
    A gene can't really be "incredibly recessive". It can be recessive and incredibly rare.
    Erm, actually, you're wrong there. There's different levels of dominence in genes. Some have equal, so you get two tone creatures (black AND white horse) whereas some traits, though recessive, can dominate over others more recessive then them. Something CAN be "incredibly recessive", and genetics is actually being completely rethought. Mendel's theory isn't exactly "acurate" anymore, but even Mendel believe in that.

As for paras:
    Wouldn't it, if it's growing on their back, have roots inside? Taking from bloodstreams, pores, anything inside? And wouldn't that, in turn, mean that when they rip it off, they rip out blood and veins and such? Wouldn't that be seen?
    And, why does everyone think she needs the ENTIRE mushroom? It's a big mushroom. Like hair grows back, she probably chops off the top, painlessly, and waits for the plant to regrow. Even if it IS eating the poor parasect, it shouldn't be able to feel the mushroom because it has no nerve endings there, only where mushroom meets flesh.
    I think the evolution theory makes sense, there's big scale evolution, then pokemon evolution, which is mostly egg/larvae/fly kind of thing.
    And, it would make sense that a paras took the mushroom on its back, and then the babies coming out with mushroms since mother 'tapped' her mushroom accidentally on the egg. So, the whole thing could have partly been an accident they worked into their lives.

Blog Entries

While we're on that topic:

Dominant-Recessive: Dominant trait shows in a heterozygous pairing
    Incomplete dominance: Mixture of the two traits
    Co-Dominance: Both traits appear
    Multi-genic: More than one gene controls a trait
    Multi-allelic: More than two variations resulting in 3 or more phenotypes

So I would think that shinyness is from a multi-genic and multi-allelic condition.

Shinyness = Drawfism

A mutation, of course.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cherrim View Post
    Shinyness = Drawfism

A mutation, of course.
    Obviously, which means there is obviously a gene that mutated. Anyway, it could just be simple Dominant recessive since the dominance of genes or recessiveness don't automatically mean that 75% of the population will not be shiny while 25% will be shiny (which is the ratio for a heterozygous couple mating)

The Pokédexs' say that the Mushroom is controling Parasect.
    In Yellow it says; "The bug host is drained of energy by the mushrooms on its back. They appear to do all the thinking."
    The saddist part of this is Crystals entery. "When nothing's left to extract from the bug, the mushrooms on its back leave spores on the bug's egg." :(

DÜ YÚ SPÆIGHKKE FÖNÆTÏKK? Exxthus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Odd, though, as the mushroom doesn't exactly have a brain to "think" with. Plants and fungi just seem to be aware enough of the world around them to grow toward/away from sunlight, have the roots grow in a particular direction to find water, etc.

I think that perhaps it isn't so much an absolute dominance in the relationship. Perhaps instead of commands, the vague awareness of the mushroom reaches Parasect, its needs being an incessant nagging in its mind/body until it does whatever the mushroom needs. Maybe even like a double consciousness sharing a single body. It's certainly a parasitic relationship, but also symbiotic.
    "(...) Serebii Joe created Tangela's evolution, Tangrowth. Is that true?!?" - d.aisuke
    "but for password all i see are stars " - Angeon
    "Please don't kick me, if you do.... you will be in pain" - ANNG12
    "Run quake on the fucking king(d)ra, nutjob. you don't need a sceptile for that" - Suikun
    "Exxthus killed a guy by looking at him. That's how tough Exxthus is." - blazevoir

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast