Parasect - Biological Questions and Theories

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parasect - Biological Questions and Theories

Blog Entries

Default Parasect - Biological Questions and Theories

We can all agree that for the most part, its pre-evolution Paras is in control of its body, but is the host of two parasitic Mushrooms who leeches off its life force. In exchange, it gains a wide array of moves to choose from. Most of its natural moveset seem to be the result of those two mushrooms, except for Slash, X-Scissor, and Slash. Even Leech Life could be argued as a gift from the Mushroom.

Even its ability seems to be the result of those tochukaso mushrooms. Effect Spore is obviously from the Mushrooms itself, while Dry Skin seems to be a result of the Mushroom draining the nutrients from the bug. Now it may seem like a disadvantage, but it gives Paras and its parasites an easy source of relief and energy in the rain.

As it grows its obvious that one of its Mushrooms is taking over and forcing the other one out and becomes completely dominant upon evolution. Now this leads to the question: "Who is it that we should be reffering to when we call out our Parasects?"

Many of you will probably say that it is the insect that is Parasect, I however believe that at this point in its life, the Mushroom has completely taken over the mind of the creature that was once known as Paras, to become Parasect. The expression on a Parasect's face looks more like the face of a zombie.

It is likely that the roots of the Mushroom has intertwined with the insect's central nervous system controlling it's body, blocking any signals from the brain. It is also possible that the roots have linked up with the brain itself creating a completely new being. Though the body itself is still controlled by the Mushroom, it still may exhibit some characteristics of the old Paras due to its connection with the brain. This leads to the second question: "What happens if the Mushroom is removed or dies?"

We could go with the "Slowbro Theory" where it will simply de-evolve back to Paras. However, the flaw I find in that idea is that both the Slowpoke and Shellder were completely different creatures, and their minds were separate. For Parasect, the Mushroom is too intertwined with the body that if ti dies, the body itself is most likely to die, becoming too dependant on the Mushroom. However, if the Mushroom is removed, I believe that it can be replanted and live, while the Insect half of Parasect would have suffered extensive nerve damage and die off. I even think that if the body dies, the <ushroom can live off it's corpse and eventually implant itself on the earth after the Insect has decomposed.

Now onto the third question: "Why don't the Paras remove the Musrooms before it consumes their body, and are they born with it?"

Like I had mentioned before, it gives them an extensive moveset that allows them to live, and I doubt that it would even have the capacity to evolve without the Mushrooms. By letting the Mushrooms stay on their backs rather than removing them (and we've seen instances in the anime where this has happened), they are ensuring their survival.

First and foremost, they are given better defenses thanks to the mutitide of spores the Mushrooms canc reate. It can paralyze or poison its enemies and its prey, and thanks to the mushrooms are most likely immune to their own spores. It even has a spore which can set its enemies to sleep 100&#37; of the time. This makes it fairly easy for it to run away from predetors, and finish off its prey.

Secondly, I believe that once the species evolve into Parasect, that the Mushrooms will actually go out of their lengths merely to breed the insect half of their bodies. Why? For the survival of the Tochukaso Mushroom species. The Musrooms could easily just send spores and have its offspring grow on the ground, however, by letting the Insect breed, they are creating a new host body for their children.

"So what's the advantage of being on an insect's back?" Well it gives the Mushrooms transport, their spores can only do so much, but they aren't fatal. They only delay the enevitable. By being on a host isnect, it allows the Mushrooms a chance to escape

I'm pretty sure we're wondering then, "Why two Mushrooms on Paras only?"

At birth, I believe multiple spores are grown on the Paras's back. However, only two of them become dominant enough to grow to the mushrooms we usually see on them. The struggle for dominacne doesn't stop there, since only one can take controll of the bug and become Parasect. Even if only one Mushroom per Insect survives to adulthood, it is still enough to guarantee the survival f the Tochukaso's species.

So the final question I'd like to raise is "If Paras weren't born with Mushrooms on them, how did this partnership start?"

The answer is fairly obvious. Without the Mushrooms, the ancestors of the paras were limited in their movesets, and were most likely easy targets. Their ancestors had probably observed when other creatures tried to consume the Mushrooms, they often fell ill, or fell asleep. This led to a "lightbulb" moment in the heads of the Paras ancestors, that if they were to carry those Mushrooms around on their backs, that they too would have those defensive capabilities, although I think they only carried one small mushroom.

I don't believe that the Parasect evolution came instantaneous, nor did the Musrooms taking over the mind. The Paras ancestors most likely started off with their offspring searching for their own Mushrooms rather then having it given to them at birth. Eventually the Paras ancestors learned they could shake the spores onto their child's back and have it grow as they grew. Since the spores were planted, two were able to grow to its full strength, and were able to share the extra mushrooms with each other if theirs died off.

Over hundreds of thousands of years, evolution (Darwin evolution not Pokemon evolution) took place. Something mutated int he Mushrooms which allowed them to controll their host bugs. No longer was it the insect using the Musroom, but the Musroom using the Insect. The modern Paras and Parasect was born.

*Claps* Wonderfull. I love it. How long did it take you to put this together?

Blog Entries

An hour, but you know, this is a discussion, I'm not looking for people to congratulate my efforts in spewing out theories on imaginary creatures more than I am of hearing other people's theories, or arguements against mine.

Yah, sorry, it just kinda had that whole report feel to it. One thing I do have to say is that I never really thought of Paras as being particularly intellagent, as in maybe not smart enough to figure out how to use mushrooms to deffend themselves. They are a lesser species of pokemon to an extent, if you think about it.

Blog Entries

Clown Fish hide in Anemone, they don't look particularly smart either. Or maybe the whole Insect + Mushroom bond was accidental. One could theorize that a group of Paras walked by and were hit by the reproductive spores of these Mushrooms. They eventually grew on their backs (or wherever they landed) and must have protected them from predetors. Others have observed this and over time, put two and two together, and began to harvest their own mushrooms.

Besides, I think the diminishing intelect comes primarily from the Mushrooms begining to take over their bodies as they grow older. And I don't thinkt hat they control the Musrooms at first, its more like a defensive reflex of the Mushroom itself, but once it starts getting into the Insect's central nervous system, it begins to react to what the Insect wants. Although dominant at first, the Musrooms will take over completely.

The Paras themselves could be completely unaware of this mind control. If they were to have offspring as a Paras, they probably just spread the Musroom's spores on their children thinking "this will protect them" not realising that the Mushroom will take over. If they did come from Parasect parents, then they would have observed this being done to them and would likely do it themselves even if they haven't evolved. It becomes an instinct.

After all, we walk without us remember learning to walk. Walking is an instinct.

Here's an interesting follow up question: Are the mushrooms on Paras' and Parasect's back actually fungus? Or are they some form of Pokemon that merely mimic the appearance and abilities of fungus, like Shroomish? I've wondered about that . . .
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Blog Entries

It wouldn't surprise me if Shroomish developed out of a common ancestor from the Paras/Parasect mushrooms considering the similar abilities (effect spore) and the fact that those are the only two Pokemon Families who naturally learn spore.

I mean if they were primitive Pokemon, then the Mushrooms on Paras/Parasect's back really wouldn't need to have changed that much now that they have a host, while the ones left on the ground may have had to developed into Shroomish.

After all, Paras are native to Kanto while Shroomish to Hoenn. The Hoenn Mushrooms may have had to develop rapidly to adapt while the Kanto ones just had to hitch a ride.

追放されたバカ

Hey, L, or Outrage as you currently wish to be called. I do agree with most of your points, but there is a few flaws in your theory.

You Hinted that the Paras are becoming more dependent on the Mushrooms, and while that may be true, I have also noticed that in the 6th episode of Pokemon, they had Paras removing their mushrooms as if they were more of a decoration instead of an actual parasitic organism. Granted, it was most likely because of the bright lights that JJM installed, but I don't see how those Paras can remove them as if they were nothing if those mushrooms were parasetic organisms. I mean, they could have at least showed some sign of pain for it to show they are indeed becoming attached.

Plus, why would the girl in the Paras episode way back in Kanto want to kill her own Paras, which she seemed to care for (I'm asking because the reason why she wanted it to evolve in the first place is because she needed the mushroom on it's back for her potions.). I mean, if she wanted her Parasect's mushroom (which implies taking it off), that would mean she is killing her pet, and since she seemed to care for it, The only way she can still care for it (I.E. not kill it) and yet still have the mushroom for her potions is if the mushroom ISN'T parasitic.

PDL

Perhaps the symbiotic relationship between the bug and the mushroom is one that neither lifeform can completely separate from at this point.

The bug can only evolve, get stronger and presumably become sexually active with the mushroom imbeded onto it's back and taking over it's nervous system. Perhaps the mushroom is now not only in charge of where the creature goes, but what it mates with (It's in the Bug and Plant egg group after all.)

The mushroom can probably only grow and gain nutrients on the host bug. When it is immature it could be planted in the ground or other places for brief periods at the Paras stage, but it can really only survive with the bug host.

Plus, why would the girl in the Paras episode way back in Kanto want to kill her own Paras, which she seemed to care for (I'm asking because the reason why she wanted it to evolve in the first place is because she needed the mushroom on it's back for her potions.). I mean, if she wanted her Parasect's mushroom (which implies taking it off), that would mean she is killing her pet, and since she seemed to care for it, The only way she can still care for it (I.E. not kill it) and yet still have the mushroom for her potions is if the mushroom ISN'T parasitic.
    Perhaps Parasect carry more then one mushroom? While it has a large one, it could easily carry smaller ones under the cap. When you capture Paras/Parasect in the games, they may come with TinyMushrooms or BigMushrooms, which are easily removed and treated like any other item.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Weedle Mchairybug View Post
    Hey, L, or Outrage as you currently wish to be called. I do agree with most of your points, but there is a few flaws in your theory.

You Hinted that the Paras are becoming more dependent on the Mushrooms, and while that may be true, I have also noticed that in the 6th episode of Pokemon, they had Paras removing their mushrooms as if they were more of a decoration instead of an actual parasitic organism. Granted, it was most likely because of the bright lights that JJM installed, but I don't see how those Paras can remove them as if they were nothing if those mushrooms were parasetic organisms. I mean, they could have at least showed some sign of pain for it to show they are indeed becoming attached.
    I think I mentioned that the Paras itself was not being controlled by the Musroom, so it could easily take it off if it wanted to. At that point, they are probably more like leeches than anything, and although taking them off would be painful, its nothing in comparison to the pain and confusion they probably felt from the intense heat and light brought on by those lamps.

After all, the Musrooms most likely causes its Dry Skin ability by draining it of its nutrients, and without them, they can support themselves better in the harsh light (though they'd be giving up a lot of their powers)

And if I recall, the lights caused strange behavior amongst all Pokemon, like Zubat fleeing the cave in daylight. It could be that they are just so confused and probably don't notice the pain.

Tapeworms can be removed from humans without killing us. Its not the fact that its parasitic that would kill it, its the fact that the body is now dependant on the Mushroom.

And I don't know if this was just an english version revision, but I was under the impression that the girl was planning on making the Potions out of the spores that the Mushroom can freely release.

And like PDL said, there are the items "Tiny Mushroom" and "Big Mushroom" you can remove from these species. Its very likely that those Musrooms come as a result of some of their reproductive spores latching onto the Parasect host bug rather than flying into the air. They'd grow, but not very large due to the bugger Mushroom hogging most of the nutrients.

Honestly, I'm stating to think that what Zeta suggested about these Mushrooms being Pokemon is getting more and more plausible by the minute. I don't see how the Mushroom can take over the Insect's nervous system and control it without sending electrical impulses of its own, and without knowing what it is doing.

Also if no one has figured it out yet, the reason I capitalize Musroom and Insect is because I am reffering to the separate halves of the being that they collectively make that we know as Parasect.

Blog Entries

My thoughts on the Paras/Parasect line mostly fall in agreement with Outrage.
    One thing I would like to point out has to do with Parasect's reproduction.

Parasect's Pokédex in Crystal points out that the tochukaso actually douses the Paras egg with spores, so of course as soon as the newborn hatches the spores attach to it. This explains why there seems to be no resistance, the Paras are all but born with the tochukaso.

Another interesting thing is that it seems the mushrooms only have the bug host mate when there are no more nutrients to be taken from the host, which is likely near the end of it's life cycle. This leads me to believe that the tochukaso may actually die with their hosts, at least in the Parasect stage as there are no instances of a Parasect being separated from a fully grown tochukaso.
    I still can’t believe my dragons lost to you, Red! You’re now the Pokémon League champion! …Or, you would have been, but you have one more challenge ahead. You have to face another Trainer! His name is… Blue! He beat the Elite Four before you. He is the real Pokémon League champion! -Lance

I am so happy that people are thinking this seriously about Parasect.

I think that in the reproductive process, thousands of spores are dropped onto the offspring. As Outrage said, at the Paras stage, only two have become dominant. These two absorb any other mushrooms that have already grown and inhibit the growth of the remaining spores, making them become dormant. This is similar to a form of natural selection in some sharks, where hundreds of eggs are fertilized in the uterus, and the first one to hatch eats its siblings. If the mushrooms should be removed at the Paras stage, remaining dormant spores could now grow into mushrooms to take the place of those removed. However, the idea of Parasect being controlled by its mushroom seems quite credible, considering its zombie-like expression and the size of the mushroom, which seems to imply dominance. Removing a Parasect's mushroom probably would result in death.
    If 50 Cent had been STAB'd instead of shot, he would be 75 Cent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer-c View Post
    Parasect's Pokédex in Crystal points out that the tochukaso actually douses the Paras egg with spores, so of course as soon as the newborn hatches the spores attach to it. This explains why there seems to be no resistance, the Paras are all but born with the tochukaso.
    I don't think it would spread its spores in its egg phase though. It would have to be fairly small spores to penetrate the shell, and even then, chances of its survival is slim.

If it attaches too early than the embryo will be starved of its nutrients so early in its development that it could result in death.

Having the spores spread as soon as it hatches makes more sense, and its not as if it takes Mushrooms a long time to grow.

Great theory, but I have some questions:
    Then which is the Pokemon? Insect or Mushroom?
    The Mushroom is in control, but is IT a Pokemon now? Or is simply controlling a Pokemon?
    And does the Insect need food, or does the Mushroom feed off the Insect?
    Does the Mushroom use the Insect to eat dead things to decompose?
    Could the Mushroom, if removed, possibly take control of a different Pokemon, like a Poliwrath or a Charizard?

Blog Entries

@ Green Cherrim

Then which is the Pokemon? Insect or Mushroom?

In the Parasect stage, I would think it is the combination of both the Insect and Musroom that forms the being known as Parasect.

The Mushroom is in control, but is IT a Pokemon now? Or is simply controlling a Pokemon?

I have expressed my feelings on this already, and I do believe it is a Pokemon, one with a common ancestry with Breloom.

And does the Insect need food, or does the Mushroom feed off the Insect?

The Insect obviously eats, there is no point for that Mushroom to stay on its back if it will die off so quickly.
    I see it more in relation to how humans live on the earth. Think of the entire human race as one Mushroom, and Earth as the Insect. In the past, the population was small enough for us to use the earth's resourses and for it to renew itself. According to an article I read, we have surpassed that point of renewal by 25&#37;, our population is simply too big (or we consume too much).

Likewise, the Insect would have to eat to replenish the nutrients it loses to the Mushroom, however, the Mushroom will eventually just grow too big for the Insect to sustain, and it will slowly die off.

This leads me to a theory that the Musroom can sense when the Parasect dies and will most likely have it go to a cold damp place where the Musroom can thrive. Perhaps something similar to that of the fabled "elephant graveyard"

Does the Mushroom use the Insect to eat dead things to decompose?

Probably if it was scavenging, but being on a mobile body with claws, the Musroom can probably use the Parasect to hunt down prey. The Musroom itself stuns the foe while the Insect goes in for the kill, and digests the food, and the Musroomt akes some of the nutrients.

Could the Mushroom, if removed, possibly take control of a different Pokemon, like a Poliwrath or a Charizard?

Not those Pokemon specifically since their environments are likely to be too hostile for the Musroom, but yes, it may be able to bond. However there are complications that won't let it happen naturally:

1. The Musroom is immobile, and those pOkemon would have had to put it on themselves, or soemthing else put it on

2. It took quite awhile for the parasitic Musroom to take control of the Insect completely, and being so overgrown it will have a hard time keeping itself rooted,

3. These Pokemon have very little to gain from this Musroom and will most likely try to remove it due to the energy drainage.

4. It is a parasite, and the Pokemon body's natural defenses may reject it. The Paras had probably adapted to allow for this certain parasite to survive in its body.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast