Is it okay for Fire-type pokemons to drink water?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it okay for Fire-type pokemons to drink water?

Hyping over Steven Stone Kyriaki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Default Is it okay for Fire-type pokemons to drink water?

We've seen in the anime that Fire-type pokemons do drink water, and in the games we can give them beverages for healing.

But they're weak to water - won't water damage them from the inside??

And not only Fire-types, but Ground-types? Rock-types?

Gardevoir Enthusiast Okami Takahashi's Avatar
    Follow Okami Takahashi On Twitter
    Follow Okami Takahashi on Tumblr

Default Re: Is it okay for Fire-type pokemons to drink water?

You bring up a lot of interesting points, Queen.

And they make my brain stop working XDD

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

My guess is water only damages the exterior. This can be seen in humans, too—stay submerged in water too long, and your skin will get damaged, but inside, you are about 60% water. A similar thing probably occurs with Fire-, Rock- and Ground-type Pokémon, with the skin-damage thing being more exaggerated for them.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Blog Entries

I think that they have some kind of special lining on their insides that keep water from hurting them, like how humans have mucus in their stomach. The only affecting the skin works too.

Blog Entries

They definitely need some water, alright, because it's part and parcel of being a living thing. Maybe hot water is their favourite kind of water, or water mixed with spicy flavour. Interestingly, Emboar is the only Fire-type with a Water attack, so make of that what you will.

Thanks for reading.
    “Detachment does not consist in setting fire to one's house, or becoming bankrupt or throwing one's fortune out of the window, or even giving away all of one's possessions. Detachment consists in refraining from letting our possessions possess us.”

Bonus articles: Improving the Ice-type (04/09/2014)

Yeah, I wondered that a lot as a kid. I always thought that they drank lava instead of water but now that I think about, I think drinking water is fine, it's just getting covered in water they don't like.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

A lot of water type moves are large amounts/high pressure water. I could be badly damaged by taking a fire hose's stream to my torso, but drinking water is fine. It's the same for fire type, ground types and rock types. They only really take extra damage from weaponized water.

Starters of choice.
    Claimed Volcarona on 03/04/12.

Follow Charazemma On Twitter Add Charazemma on Facebook

Hahaha, this made me giggle.

I guess so, as Saiga said, theres no real force behind it. I watched Rival destinies on Saturday, victini was splashing about with Ash and it survived!

Having said that, I wouldn't have thought that rock-types would need to drink... unfortunately I dont have a Geodude here whos anatomy I can analyze.
    I'm a girl.

I call a Squirrel legendary in X and Y, just sayin'.

Serenity is key
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    My guess is water only damages the exterior. This can be seen in humans, too—stay submerged in water too long, and your skin will get damaged, but inside, you are about 60% water. A similar thing probably occurs with Fire-, Rock- and Ground-type Pokémon, with the skin-damage thing being more exaggerated for them.
    Exactly what I would've said. They can probably handle it when they drink, but getting soaked by it would damage them.
    Crack some heads for me, darlings. Thank you, and good night.

If we subscribe to the assumption that elemental attacks have special properties, then water-type attacks and every day drinking water should be different.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Every Pokemon needs to quench their thirst, even fire types. It may depend on the water source like how Arrowhead water has a different taste than Kirkland Signature water.

Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Water doesn't hurt fire type water ATTACKS do and since water is the basis of all life on earth I assume it is tots cool

Visit RuBoo's Youtube Channel

Fire-types can drink water because, as I see it, it is Water-type attacks that hurt the Pokemon, and, with the exception of the Charmander line, even being covered in water doesn't hurt, though it may cause discomfort.

It's not just attacks that hurt them (or at least in the earlier anime it wasn't... I don't know if they abandoned this concept) but Brock's Onix was hurt by the fire sprinklers, A.J.'s Sandshrew was in the swimming pool and it not damaged but it was implied that most Sandshrews are, and Brock's Onix was damaged again when Meowth threw buckets of water at it.

Blog Entries
    Follow Blue Dragon On Twitter
    Follow Blue Dragon on Tumblr

As others have said it's generally Water type attacks that effect the Fire types, because it interferes with their attacks and they have high pressured amounts of Water thrown at them, which is usually in an excess amount. Also giant masses of Water like the ocean, or lakes can be harmful to Fire types because again it's an excess amount of Water.

I do think that some Fire types like Magcargo for example don't really need water, as they are literally made out of a lava substance. Pokemon like Ninetales, Blaziken, Charizard etc. are a more animal like creature and may still require Hydration for sustenance to survive generally, as long as it's not an excessive amount to then become very harmful to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast