The Nostalgia Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The Nostalgia Thread

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Default The Nostalgia Thread

Remember when everyone's dad worked for Nintendo and Pokemon cards were classified as legal currency?
    Moo-Moo farm remembers.

Reminisce about the good times with the Pokemon franchise from the days of yore, whether it be getting your first Pokemon game, waking up early to watch the anime or memories of good times in the Pokemon fandom. Share your happy memories of the Pokemon franchise here!

Some ground rules first, don't use this thread to slag off current or later Pokemon media.

Also try not to drag the thread off topic with in-depth discussions about the anime, as this is a General discussion thread.

Blog Entries

Visit Teapot Salty's Youtube Channel

Default Re: The Nostalgia Thread

when i was younger, (I hate to say that) the anime was cool, but not a must watch, the cards where the single best thing in the universe. You got them for bragging rights, and I knew like one guy who actually knew how to play. ONE GUY. And thats with houndreds of people with these cards. My first game was firered and leafgreen, I gave leafgreen to my sister, after all they were the "same" I remember always getting the fire starter for fire fanboyism. Now im just competetivly dominated, and cant like a pokemon unless its good.

I remember going to see Pokemon the First Movie on the 2nd day it was released in theaters, which was a day before my birthday. The line was super long and you got the cool Ancient Mew card with your ticket.

And my first pack of Pokemon cards had a holographic Vaporeon. I was getting picked up from an art class and my parents bought me a pack as a surprise.

My poor parents probably spent so much on cards and merchandise when I was a kid.
    Pokemon Y Friend Code: 4012-4584-1628
    IGN: Beetle K-Lee
    Trainer Shiny Value: 3683
    Friend Safari: Grass- Quilladin, Sawsbuck, Sunkern

.................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .............

Blog Entries

I remember watching the show expecting Ash to become a Pokemon master at some point.

Proud claimer of Sylveon, She is a sneaky Magician who
    loves to pounce out of nowhere and Nuzzle me!
    ♡♥♡5 Signatures! Only 499,995 to go!♡♥♡
    US EBAY SELLERS BEWARE!

Pokemon Actress thanksforthetea's Avatar

Follow thanksforthetea on Tumblr

The one thing I remember is the Burger King toys that came out when Pokemon was huge in the late 90s.

My sister got a Sandshrew keychain that I wanted really bad... Poor mum. She bought me an extra toy because I kept having a fit. Never did get that Sandshrew...

Really Miss Misty ThePalletTownKid's Avatar

I remember getting up at 6:30 to watch pokemon, and I miss kids WB

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

My childhood: eating dinner while watching Pokemon (because pokemon in my country aired around 6:30 pm or so) and getting scolded by Mom because I wasn't watching my spoon XD

The most memorable are Pokemon Bread, and their famous stickers that came with the bread. I remember being excited when I pulled an Umbreon from a bread I randomly bought (around that time, the Johto arc just started, so the second generation stickers were pretty rare). Pokemon Bread were around two or three years ago (I know because I bought two and pulled a Piplup and a Dialga from them). I did see a Cilan & Pansage bread a few months ago (I guess they're still selling), so the Pokemon Bread (and their stickers) are nostalgia that exists for a long time over here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Kyriaki View Post
    My childhood: eating dinner while watching Pokemon (because pokemon in my country aired around 6:30 pm or so) and getting scolded by Mom because I wasn't watching my spoon XD

The most memorable are Pokemon Bread, and their famous stickers that came with the bread. I remember being excited when I pulled an Umbreon from a bread I randomly bought (around that time, the Johto arc just started, so the second generation stickers were pretty rare). Pokemon Bread were around two or three years ago (I know because I bought two and pulled a Piplup and a Dialga from them). I did see a Cilan & Pansage bread a few months ago (I guess they're still selling), so the Pokemon Bread (and their stickers) are nostalgia that exists for a long time over here.
    awww we never get anything awesome like that in New Zealand
    all we have in terms of video game related food are some Super Mario lollies from a brand called au'some, they also make some Spongebob and Monopoly lollies.
    Gunaydin likes this.

Proud claimer of Sylveon, She is a sneaky Magician who
    loves to pounce out of nowhere and Nuzzle me!
    ♡♥♡5 Signatures! Only 499,995 to go!♡♥♡
    US EBAY SELLERS BEWARE!

Hiding in the Shadows DynamoRox4Sure's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow DynamoRox4Sure On Twitter
    Follow DynamoRox4Sure on Tumblr Visit DynamoRox4Sure's Youtube Channel

Oh man. Getting my first pokemon video tape, The Great Race, collecting older pokemon cards when they were still common at flea markets (and the video tapes), and getting Pokemon Ruby. Then there was the joy every time I got my little hands on a new game. Ruby, Firered, Emerald, any of them, all the same joy.

3DS FC: 3179-6150-0900

Oh wow, I remember being so obsessed with Pokemon between 10 and 13. I watched the anime every chance I got. I played with the toys. I watched the First Movie about a hundred times. I played the heck out of my Red, Gold, Crystal, Pinball, Stadium, and Snap.

My biggest regrets was obsessing on only using strong Pokemon instead of using my favorites because I was too impatient to train and abandoning the series for nearly a decade because I was so bitter over Misty leaving the show, but I've made up for that now on my new files/games.

Blog Entries

I played so much of Emerald back in the day. So much. It was really back when I was beginning to get into video game OSTs too, and I would spend hours hanging out in the Battle Pike and Factory, just to listen to the music. Good times.

Really Miss Misty ThePalletTownKid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chassidy View Post
    Oh wow, I remember being so obsessed with Pokemon between 10 and 13. I watched the anime every chance I got. I played with the toys. I watched the First Movie about a hundred times. I played the heck out of my Red, Gold, Crystal, Pinball, Stadium, and Snap.

My biggest regrets was obsessing on only using strong Pokemon instead of using my favorites because I was too impatient to train and abandoning the series for nearly a decade because I was so bitter over Misty leaving the show, but I've made up for that now on my new files/games.

I was piss about Misty leaving too....and so was Hitler

Pokemon Lover

I got into Pokémon in 1999. I was going to a before-and-after-school-care centre, and the wonderful people who worked there would hire out Pokémon videos from the store for us to watch. There were quite a few Pokémon fans among the kids that went there. I remember building a tailless, over-sized, boxy-looking Pikachu out of Polydron (these flat pieces of plastic that you could click together and build three-dimentional models with). I was very proud of my achievement. :D

The highlight of that first year for me was when my school gave us an end-of-year treat. For a small fee and signed permission note, we got to go to an advance screening of Pokémon: The First Movie. I remember how quiet everyone was while we watched it, and even though I couldn't see their faces I was sure they were all as enthralled as I was. I swear I nearly cried when Ash turned to stone. I got the soundtrack of the movie for Christmas, but my little brother decided to play with it and it got damaged beyond repair. ;(

In May of 2000, I got my first ever Pokémon figurines, and they were so tiny--about half an inch tall if that. But I loved them so much.

In September, close to my birthday, we went to the Pokémon Park festival and I got a huge Pikachu-shaped helium-filled balloon and a copy of 2 B A Master, which I would treasure for the next five years.

I got the Pokémon Movie 2000 soundtrack on my tenth birthday, and the Johto soundtrack the following Christmas, along with a second copy of 2 B A Master (it was a bonus pack). I've since lost all of my Pokémusic and I miss it so much! :'(
    Last edited by The Imaginatrix; 15th December 2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Some of the events were attributed to the wrong year. So much for my good memory.

Don't you worry, child Ice Ricky's Avatar
    Follow Ice Ricky On Twitter
    Follow Ice Ricky on Tumblr

Omg my CHILDHOOD~

The first Pokémon-related items I ever owned were a used copy of Pokémon Red that I bought alongside a limited Pokémon Edition of the Game Boy Color (the one with Jigglypuff & Togepi). I was so excited that I pretty sure I opened it up right in the store so that I could start playing it as soon as possible (which was a complete fail because I don't think I had batteries on me, whomp whomp). I was glued glued glued glued GLUED to that thing!

I also had quite a few of those Burger King Pokémon toys. My favorite was the Kabuto squirt toy (it was so cute! ^.^), and I also had the Nidoqueen keychain, the Sandshrew keychain, and the talking Pikachu plush. And then my older brother cut open the Pikachu plush because he hated the thing, but he claimed he did it to "research" what the talking box looked like, and he promised me that he would fix up the plush once he was finished. The lying shit. I also remember wanting to go to Burger King so badly so that I could get at least one of those Gold Cards, but for whatever reason I never got one.

And there was also this Pokémon Crystal Edition Gameshark I bought. I try not to remember those dark days (that Gameshark messed up my Crystal cartridge so much that I eventually had to buy a second copy of the game), but man that Gameshark looked amazing. Also I'm pretty sure I bought that Gameshark simply because it was Crystal-themed--that's how obsessed I was with that game.

I think my favorite Pokémon-related items (other than my Pokémon Game Boy Color and my Pikachu 3DS XL) though are the limited edition collector's coins you got for pre-ordering either Pokémon Ruby or Sapphire (I got both since I pre-ordered both). I would look at those coins every day until I patiently waited for the GBA games to be released in the U.S. I still pull them out every so often to remind myself of those days. (And yup, I still got them! But they're really messed up at this point.)

Ah those days back when I was young, ignorant, and obsessed with Pokemon. Also, this post is more of my overall nostalgic memories of Pokemon not any event in particular as it is the story of what happened.
    Originally I remember being into Pokemon before I could even recall any major moments in my life. A few years later I was brought back into Pokemon by others around me who were into Pokemon. I remember my first Pokemon game was Ruby and defeating the Elite Four with Blaziken over 9000 times. Eventually I got a hold of Fire Red and remember doing the same with a Mewtwo. I played Pokemon every chance I could and raised boxes of Level 100 Pokemon. I completed the Hoenn dex and got my first shiny which was Rhyhorn in the Safari zone. Eventually I found out Diamond and Pearl were released recently and I started collecting the cards and got a Chatot plush. Everything went well as Platinum was released and eventually Heart Gold which was the first game I bought myself. My obsession for Pokemon peaked around this time and I went over a rapid adaptive change. I learned how to play the tcg and learned about IVs, EVs, and natures. Black and White came around and my interest for Pokemon faded after they were released for two months. I quit Pokemon and decided I was too old for it. (That is where anything about Pokemon that I would consider nostalgic ends. I came back for Black 2/White 2 and have stayed into Pokemon ever since.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast