Non-animal based Pokémon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-animal based Pokémon

PDL

Default Non-animal based Pokémon

When most people think of Pokémon, they think of funny cartoon animals with funny names with the ability to "blow shit up".

However, this is a bit of a misdemeanor: Many Pokémon are not based on animals!

But how might these Pokémon live in the wild?

I'd like to take a gander that Misdreavus live similarly to cuttlefish. Misdreavus' hair sorta reminds me of squid tentacles.

Drifloon and Drifblim sorta remind me of sea jellies or jellyfish. They float in the same way and they might be filter feeders.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

both of those 2 are ghosts so they aren't very good examples as I don't think ghosts eat.

Blog Entries

I've always wonder what Nidorans may be related to...

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

To join in the fun, I claim Kokoromori :) 11-23-10

PDL

Quote Originally Posted by thunder999 View Post
    both of those 2 are ghosts so they aren't very good examples as I don't think ghosts eat.
    Well it's all just speculation so I don't see how I'm wrong.

Anyway, it's been mentioned in Misdreavus' Pokédex that it feeds on fear.

Blog Entries

Drifloon and Drifblim are based on balloons, or at least that's what the Pokedex tells us.

Lunatone and Solrock aren't based on animals also, their names tell us that straight out.
    Last edited by Irinya; 11th October 2008 at 01:06 PM.
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. ~ Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled

PDL

Perhaps I wasn't completely clear. This thread is about how these Pokémon, which are not based on animals, can fit in the ecosystem.

hi

Pretty much every Pokemon is some how based on animals, being that they all have ether eye, mouths or both which such body parts have only been found on animals.
    Even though Pokemon are not animals they still may function like the animals they share their appearance with. Bird like Pokemon may eat bugs and bug Pokemon, also there is a possibility of fish and fish Pokemon. Canine type Pokemon may eat various of lower chain animals and Pokemon.
    Pokemon that have slight animal shapes but do not seem to be based off any one animal may find food or energy from other sources.
    Lunatone may get it's energy from moonlight and Solrock may get it from sunlight. Pokemon like Chimecho and Cherrim may actually digest food since they have mouths although Cherrim may also use photosynthesis and Chimecho may also get it's energy from sound.

I believe that electric Pokemon such as Magnetmite and Voltorb would merely 'feed on electricity', or gain power from electrical sources - I recall a Pokedex entry for one of them anyway which said such a thing. (And an NPC in XD said a similar thing as well?) They probably just live in cities rather than the wild, or your average abandoned Power Plant.

Banner By Sammi of Sppf
    A funnier version of the Pokemon Colosseum game, that also explains the 'unexplained'.
    Ever wondered WHY Wes blew up Team Snagem's base?
    Or what's with Miror B's hair?

Reposted - Prologue Up

Credit to Saffire Persian for the banner. Tragedy one-shot story.

absurdity complete plasticporygon's Avatar

And the poison types would eat the toxic sludge lying around, I guess.

The sun? Thats the hottest place on earth!

grass types could use synthises from sunlight to feed themselves maybe? But they could eat things like berries or whatnot too.

Thanks Felly for banner

^That was close to me. Interesting

I think it's been established that all Pokemon are capable of eating berries and berry by-products (Polocks and Poffins). What I wonder is: how? A lot of Pokemon don't even appear to have a mouth. In the case of pupa Pokemon like Trancel, they could be in a mere transition phase, but choosing not to evolve them (despite constant flavor text suggesting that it actually is a short-lived transition phase) creates quite a conundrum (makes you wonder if they even considered stuff like that when implementing the B-button, or when they made pupa count as their own Pokemon, whichever came last). Now, I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume the Regis are some kind of alien bacterial life form that possessed minerals and created a single entity. With everything else, I have no clue (and it's not just Pokemon based off of objects either; just look at Sawamular).

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

absurdity complete plasticporygon's Avatar

Yeah, the pupal stages do create a conundrum... And as far as Hitmonlee's concerned, He probably has a different way of nourishment.
    Quote Originally Posted by TTEchidna View Post
    War brings out the most inhuman in all of us.
    Agreed, my man. Agreed.

Well, if we're going by gameverse for the Pokemon in a cocoon, then they somehow would eat the berry... but if we want to apply some real-world ideas to Pokemon, then I'd say, IMO, that they simply do not eat anything. Like how a catepillar in real life as a cacoon doesn't eat anything - it just sits there and... uses Harden. -_- Problem with the Pokemon world is that things simply contridict each other from time to time, especially when you mix things (fighting with a fire type Pokemon while underwater using Dive in RSE is one - wouldn't make sense to us, but hey, it's a game/anime show based off the game/Pokeymans!).

Hitmonlee is a tough one... I remember a fic though that had Hitmonless eat things by absorbing them where it's mouth would be.

Banner By Sammi of Sppf
    A funnier version of the Pokemon Colosseum game, that also explains the 'unexplained'.
    Ever wondered WHY Wes blew up Team Snagem's base?
    Or what's with Miror B's hair?

Reposted - Prologue Up

Credit to Saffire Persian for the banner. Tragedy one-shot story.

The sun? Thats the hottest place on earth!

One thing about cocoon pokemon, they are different than real world counterparts by having eyes. (Except Kankuna, it looks most like real world cocoon)

And I always thought pokemon like the magnemite line and voltorb/electrode were like living batteries or robot like and used electricity to fuel their cells.

Thanks Felly for banner

^That was close to me. Interesting

hi

I always thought that pokemon that don't have mouths just absorb food into their bodies or something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast