No more "you have to be ten to be a trainer"? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: No more "you have to be ten to be a trainer"?

Blog Entries

Default Re: No more "you have to be ten to be a trainer"?

What Fandago and Feanor said, basically. The ages of the other protagonsts aren't given I don't think, so I generally hike the age up to thirteen or so in my head for the player characters, just so I feel like the kids' parents aren't completely throwing their children out to the wolves by letting them travel around the country alone.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

G50
    Night Owl G50's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

It seems that both the anime and games use "start as 10 years old", to mean that trainers must be at least that age to receive a Water/Fire/Grass starter from the professor, Pokedex, and Poke Balls. Any kid younger than that can't be officially licensed, but can receive their own Pokemon, etc. from their families.

Unless I missed something somewhere in the games or anime, I don't think anything has been said of the full rule regarding that.

Definitely an "F" ticket! Shiny Porygon's Avatar

It's purely a question of video game canon vs the anime using a birthday as a framing device (how many stories begin with someone's birthday?)

Quote Originally Posted by G50 View Post
    It seems that both the anime and games use "start as 10 years old", to mean that trainers must be at least that age to receive a Water/Fire/Grass starter from the professor, Pokedex, and Poke Balls. Any kid younger than that can't be officially licensed, but can receive their own Pokemon, etc. from their families.

Unless I missed something somewhere in the games or anime, I don't think anything has been said of the full rule regarding that.
    Which games use "start as 10 years old"?

I suppose that preschoolers aren't licenced trainers. They don't have trainer card like the playable character.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Porygon View Post
    Only the original ones use them as far as I know.

I think the "start at 10 years old" thing is now discredited as far as the Pokemon franchise goes. Pokemon does discredit a few ideas. Another one seems to be the idea of the rival being an asshole. Nintendo hasn't created any outright mean rivals since Gen II. Now they're usually honest, likable friends of the main character. (The idea of asshole rivals seems to be alive and well in the anime, though.) They've also stopped using the inefficient version of PC system (the one where you had to save the game before changing boxes), the ability to cut tall grass down (I wish they still had it - it helped you get through grass without Repels), and the idea that Ghost Pokemon could only be seen with a Silph Scope (only if wild, though - you could still see the ones belonging to the Channelers and Agatha without one).

I think the Trainers younger than 10 do own their Pokemon - provided that they've proven to their parents that they were responsible enough. It's like a small child owning a pet - you don't give a 5-year-old their own pet unless they prove that they can care for it.

Definitely an "F" ticket! Shiny Porygon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Porygon View Post
    Only the original ones use them as far as I know.
    Game manuals actually disagree on the point of Red's age (see http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/5047/62366721.jpg and http://i2.minus.com/jMUXhWLVIbKcA.JPG). No game, however, has established any age requirement, contrary to what G50 was saying.

Blog Entries

I know the anime made reference to the 10 years old rule. and I know the manga "The Electric Tales of Pikachu" also made reference to it, but I think that was based on the show.

In any case, the way I see it is that the "10 years old" thing is the legal age for someone acquiring a Pokemon trainer license for themselves. I mean, people need to get dog licenses, and in a world like Pokemon, I could understand the need for a trainer license being made required to own and handle Pokemon. I guess they feel that ten years old is considered an age at which it is generally felt you should be competent and mature enough to be personally held responsible for a Pokemon.

Of course, kids are under the care of their parents, and if a parent feels their child is responsible enough to take care of a Pokemon, I suppose the parent or guardian can apply for a Pokemon license and pass the test for their kids. So while the Pokemon technically belongs to the kid, legally, the parent is responsible. And once the kid is ten, they could apply for their own license, and pass the license test (there has to be one, you have to pass a test for a driver's license, so why not here?).

It all boils down to parental supervision. On another note, while the starter Pokemon are given out to trainers, I don't think every trainer necessarily gets one or is required to get one. I mean, some people have a single Pokemon that isn't a starter. I think the starters are just given out freely to trainers as a recommendation, or maybe just to traveling trainers. The Pokedex is probably only given out freely for traveling trainers, since not every trainer (as in someone with a license, which is a LOT of people) necessarily travels.

Or something like that, if that makes sense. I can't totally concentrate right now.

Blog Entries

9-year-olds can't comprehend its complexity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Incoming Mortar View Post
    9-year-olds can't comprehend its complexity.
    I thought it wasn't. Oh well.

Um... Why aren't these kids in school?

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I'm pretty sure that the age requirement is more to do with the anime than the video games and even then, it's only about how kids can't go on a journey with their Pokemon until they're ten. As far as I know, none of the games name such a requirement and they've only rarely mentioned ages for any of the playable trainers.

Empress of the Bird Reich Lyrebird's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the rule is loose. I mean it must be some test or something. Although I wouldn't mind being an 82 old man and picking fights with young kids in the games. Get off my Land. Back on topic I think they have to pass a certain set of requirements and testing regimes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12