No more "you have to be ten to be a trainer"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: No more "you have to be ten to be a trainer"?

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default No more "you have to be ten to be a trainer"?

The games have preschoolers challenging you for battles, but the anime states you have to be ten to get your first pokemon.

Iirc, the preschoolers appeared after Gen 1, but the anime already stated that trainer rule by then. What happened to that rule? It doesn't count anymore?

Follow juiceboxxx On Twitter
    Follow juiceboxxx on Tumblr

Default Re: No more "you have to be ten to be a trainer"?

I believe the anime and the games take place in different universes, actually, so different rules would apply to each.
    MegaCharr likes this.

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, the "You have to be 10 to be a trainer" was an anime only thing. In fact, Red is 11 in the games and manga.

And we've had child trainers long before 5th gen. It goes at least as far back as 2nd gen with the Twins trainer class.
    Owain likes this.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Really, the "You have to be 10 to be a trainer" rule were not mentioned anywhere outside the anime. Not in any game, not in most Pokemon mangas (I think there was one that said about this rule, but not very sure), not in TCG, and not even in the Pokemon Company that do the marketing for this franchise.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Blog Entries

Really? I could swear it was in the original manual, but I could be mistaken. Regardless, yeah, ever since younger kids were shown with pokemon in the series, this became moot. I'm hesitant to say what the limit should be, since it's mostly up to your own discretion when you think a child is ready to care for an animal, but that is for a pet in real life. I hardly think certain pokemon are appropriate for this. To do the kinds of things I know a pokemon trainer to do, it would take either someone that's been through Cub Scouts for a few years, or at least a teenager. Someone capable of taking care of themselves. Here is where young kids having pokemon confuses me. I think that none of them have anything beyond the first form of any evo line, or at least a pokemon that is suitably small and therefore probably docile. In other words, I don't think it's a trained pokemon in the normal sense of the word, but rather a pokemon that is being kept as a pet, possibly to even protect said child. A preteen might be able to do it, but like I said, I think they would have to be suitably toughened up to do so. Even with all this, I absolutely do not think they could participate in tournaments or other challenges unless it was in a sort of junior league like environment where things are gimped from their actual version. By the time you are a teenager, you should be ready for the real deal. In short, I don't think the way this is protrayed in anything is really appropriate. It should be much harder, although even with everything I said, I doubt you would be able to make it competitively until you're an adult or better.
    Yato likes this.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries
    Follow はるひ On Twitter Add はるひ on Facebook
    Follow はるひ on Tumblr Visit はるひ's Youtube Channel

I think it's only an anime only thing; but then I've seen the anime have little kids with Pokemon.

Fio

Follow Fio on Tumblr

Maybe it's just tradition.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It contradicted directly the games where there were children with Pokémon everywhere and there was no such thing, instead some people simply not having a pokémon for no given reason other than it being the beginning of the game.

They needed a reason in the anime to give Ash a pokémon, so they came up with that.

But as both series went on this started to contradict more and more things, so I'd say it's a long forgotten thing even in the anime.
    Owain and MegaCharr like this.

[/overexposition]

Blog Entries

I think the "ten to be trainer rule" means that you have to be ten to compete and be a licensed trainer.

There's no law against owning a pokémon if you're underage.
    Vulli likes this.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    I think the "ten to be trainer rule" means that you have to be ten to compete and be a licensed trainer.

There's no law against owning a pokémon if you're underage.
    More specifically, I believe the 10 year rule is the age requirement for being allowed to travel on ones own without parental supervision.
    Most under-aged trainers you meet in the games or in the anime are either within city-limits/eye-shot of cities or are traveling with other adults.

The Pokemon might not be the kids Pokemon, but be borrowed from their parents. How else could get a preschooler get a lvl. Riolu or Ferrothorn?

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510 58209 74944 59230 78164....
    This is actually the line X + Y = 3.141

Blog Entries

Well, there can be many ways to explain it, it is a Kanto only rule (only mentioned), the meaning of the rule is different of what the rule actually writes (laws tend to be unclear like that), "Trainer" as a term has a defined description to it bound to that rule, it's like a license to be allowed to do certain stuff, with restriction in some fields, you can only register as a league participant under this condition... and there is probably a ton more to it but I'm too lazy to go on. (Also at least neither Yellow the manual nor the beginning of the game states anything like this 10 year restriction, can't check it on Red/Blue since I lack the manual to it)
    Pokémon lasts forever...

Fanfiction.net:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1962116/bladeofjudgement
    DeviantART: http://bladeofjudgement.deviantart.com/

Visit Dralcax's Youtube Channel

You need to be ten to catch and raise Pokémon as well as enter the Pokémon league. But you can still battle with borrowed Pokémon under parental supervision/consent.

Follow Fandango on Tumblr

I think it's that you need to be ten in order to get a Pokédex and a starter Pokémon from your local ... dealer.

Blog Entries

Arrow Re: No more "you have to be ten to be a trainer"?

I think it means that you have to be 10 if you want to do things like take part in the Pokemon League. Young children can still own Pokemon as long as they know how to care for them, but they're too young to be licensed Trainers. And it's obvious that not all Trainers start at exactly 10. Hilbert and Hilda are clearly older than 10 - they're probably at least 13.
    Jenneta likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast