Nidoran♂ and ♀ should be one species - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nidoran♂ and ♀ should be one species

Default Re: Nidoran♂ and ♀ should be one species

I see no reason to change this. HOWEVER, I do think they should make it to where Nidorina and Nidoqueen can breed. I've never understood that. Does Nidoran♀ go through menopause when she evolves?
    SoulSilver FC: 0990 3961 5270
    JP White FC: 3739 5143 2753

Quote Originally Posted by Cena View Post
    The thing with Nidoran M and F is that they're different species. Sure, they're "similar" in name and appearance and such, but they're still different species that only have one gender. That's what I've interpreted it as, anyway.

You can't group two similar species into one NatDex number. It just doesn't work.
    Well, actually, the biological definition of species defines that a species must be "capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring of both genders, and separated from other such groups with which interbreeding does not (normally) happen".
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species

EG The mule isn't a species, its a hybrid.

In other words, unless they errata it so that the Nidorans can have homosexual reproductive sex with each other (which would be awesome!), they are both either technically one species or both are not species.

I think this could be a good opportunity to get the first naturally homosexual pokemon XD. I mean, other than male Gardevoirs.

Blog Entries

They're as much the same species as a Miltank and Tauros. I bred the two in Gold version and got a 50/50 split on Tauros and Miltank offspring. I haven't bred the two in current generations to see if it still applies though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthesse View Post
    Well, actually, the biological definition of species defines that a species must be "capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring of both genders, and separated from other such groups with which interbreeding does not (normally) happen".
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species

EG The mule isn't a species, its a hybrid.
    Real life sciences doesn't apply to Pokemon, if you consider the breeding mechanics with the egg groups.

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Too late. National dex order would be ruined that way.

Blog Entries

I see the major response is, too late. The thing is, Pokemon has gone back and changed things in the past to upgrade them.
    Remember when Magneton was only an electric type?
    How about when Charizard was incapable of using the move fly?
    What about when a male and female Pikachu looked exactly the same?
    With almost every generation Pokemon has fixed some things that they knew needed to be looked at.

According to their dex entries, which always refer to them as the male and the female of the species, they are in fact the same species, unlike say Volbeat and Illumise (as brought up by Roronoa Zorua) which are only closely related species.

True enough, It was before breeding even became part of the game, It isn't so bad the way it is, it is just basically a more in depth seperation of genders than the other pokemon.
    Charmeleon - It is very hotheaded by nature, so it constantly seeks opponents. It only calms down when it wins. (pokedex)

Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by MFreak View Post
    According to their dex entries, which always refer to them as the male and the female of the species, they are in fact the same species, unlike say Volbeat and Illumise (as brought up by Roronoa Zorua) which are only closely related species.
    No, they /are/ the same species. They're extremely dimorphic and called two different names depending on the gender, but they can breed with each other. An Illumise will give birth to a male Volbeat, just like a Nidoran(f) will give birth to a Nidoran(m), no matter who their sexual partner is.

They are the same.

I'll breed a female Eevee with a male Pikachu...but I'll never get a Pikachu. That's what sets the Nidorans and Volbeat/Illumise apart from most of the other pogeys.
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

Blog Entries

I see the major response is, too late. The thing is, Pokemon has gone back and changed things in the past to upgrade them.
    Both were very early on, when changes were needed. We would only have 3 steel Pokemon without the change of Magnemite.

And adding moves has and will probably always happen.

I don't want the change, because they both look different, learn different moves (I think) and it would mess up the count.

And yeah, Pikachu did change, along with half of the others. But I believe that is only for aesthetic difference, and has nothing to do with game play.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

What about when a male and female Pikachu looked exactly the same?
    With almost every generation Pokemon has fixed some things that they knew needed to be looked at.

1. They changed that ten years ago and all they did was add a type
    2. That was changed in Yellow, an even longer time ago.
    3. That's not quite the same thing. They are still the same pokemon.

This would be a drastic change, altering the numbering and ordering of the dex.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

The inconsistency is already remarked on within the games: people didn't know that Pokemon had genders, so they were marked as different species. We may well consider them the same species, but they've already gained separate Dex entries. It works in-universe and out of universe. Why mess with that?
    "You know that dragons are mythical Pokémon! They’re hard to catch and raise, but their powers are superior!" - Lance

Princess of Hoenn id peperit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123