Nidoran♂ and ♀ should be one species

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nidoran♂ and ♀ should be one species

Blog Entries

Default Nidoran♂ and ♀ should be one species

This has bothered me ever since the original Gold and Silver introduced genders officially. I know at the time of the first game there really were not Genders, so the Nidorans had to be separated into to different species, but come on.

Now that they have introduced differences in Pokemon gender there really is no excuse not to. I think they only reason the keep it that way is because they are afraid the the fans will be pissed that the original 151 is only 150 now, and that is would change most Pokemon's Pokedex number by one.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Nidoran♂ and ♀ should be one species

Once, maybe I'd agree. This far into the series, I disagree.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakesh! View Post
    Once, maybe I'd agree. This far into the series, I disagree.
    I understand. It is most likely turned into a nostalgia thing by now.

I suggested this, I think in the new pokemon thread in the Black and White forum. Got a LOT of hate for it.
    SoulSilver FC: 3782 1205 0348
    Platinum FC: 2879 5571 5372

I think instead of a quote, I might just start listing the number of people whose signatures contain quotes by me. My goal is to be in ALL OF THEM.

Blog Entries

There is one important reason why it isn't done. Because the numbering would be destroyed. Like it or not Nidoran♂ and ♀ will always be pokemon numbers 32 and 29, respectively.
    Step into the Fairy circle

It's not a bad idea, but I think it's too late to change it (like you said, it would throw off the numbers).

However, combined with a hypothetical complete overhaul of the National Dex numbers.....?
    SoulSilver FC: 3782 1205 0348
    Platinum FC: 2879 5571 5372

I think instead of a quote, I might just start listing the number of people whose signatures contain quotes by me. My goal is to be in ALL OF THEM.

Blog Entries

Oh geez, not that again. Do you have any idea how unstable that would be? Fixing the dex to group evo chains that span generation would be convenient, yes, but the numbering would never stay the same. Every time a new gen comes along, you're changing numbers because of added entries. The dex is the way it is because it's consistent. The regional dexes have the families in order, but I do believe that's all we'll get. Not to mention that the count of pokemon overall would be missing one. If you think it wouldn't be missed, trust me, retconning the numbers could cause an uprising the likes of which we have never seen. We want our 151. Would you deny us that?
    Step into the Fairy circle

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

That could be a possibility, but it's too late to change the names of Nidoran (F) and (M) to distinguish between them.

Blog Entries

Exactly how would you make the two Nidorans one? Do you mean like how they would evolve, make Nidoqueen able to breed with Nidoking and if male the male Nidoran comes out and if female the female comes out. Because if we got rid of one of them then I don't want that.
    My RP Character's Pokemon! Click to feed them! Each of their Signature Pokemon in Order:
    Kathany, Amber, Piper, Kate, Zoey and Lane.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Willow's Tara View Post
    Exactly how would you make the two Nidorans one? Do you mean like how they would evolve, make Nidoqueen able to breed with Nidoking and if male the male Nidoran comes out and if female the female comes out. Because if we got rid of one of them then I don't want that.
    different form per gender with branched evolution.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Willow's Tara View Post
    This already happens, they breed together and there is a chance of getting either male or female.

My two cents is explain it in the dex numbers in game, but just have them named Nidoran. Basically the Dex entry says something like: Originally thought to be two separate species, the male and female Nidoran blah blah blah.

Then just have it listed in both slots 29 and 32, one showing the female and one showing the male, but the game treats them like one rather than two.

I definetly agree that it's too late in the series to go about changing it. I think a lot of people would be pretty narked at the Pokedex numbers dropping, perhaps some more than others it would appear.
    If it had been implemented from the start, sure, it would have been cool.
    I don't think the fact that they're considered two seperate Pokemon species is what 'annoyed' me per se, more the male/female symbols beside the names. I would have rather they just had seperate names.

But alas, I can live with it.
    OFFERING the following hacked Pokemon:
    Jirachi * / Celebi * / Darkrai / Mew / Lugia / Ho-oh / Shaymin (Lv. 100)
    PM me for more information!

Blog Entries

It would kill a little piece of me, I think. I'm too used to it and too in love with the original 150...

Faithful Contestshipper.

NintendoLand Castle, NintendoLand (or Phoenix, AZ)

The thing with Nidoran M and F is that they're different species. Sure, they're "similar" in name and appearance and such, but they're still different species that only have one gender. That's what I've interpreted it as, anyway.

You can't group two similar species into one NatDex number. It just doesn't work.
    <under construction>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast