Moves-of-the-Week Discussion #55: Freeze Shock & Ice Burn

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Yato
  • 1 Post By Jdog1020

Thread: Moves-of-the-Week Discussion #55: Freeze Shock & Ice Burn

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Moves-of-the-Week Discussion #55: Freeze Shock & Ice Burn

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Freeze Shock & Ice Burn are chosen.

Kyurem was one of the legendary Pokémon in Generation 5, and what's special about it is its ability to fuse with either Reshiram or Zekrom to become stronger. This is a first in Pokémon, but what's also a first is an Ice attack that inflicts Burn and another that inflicts Paralysis, since there isn't any other Ice attack that does the same before. Both of these moves are currently exclusive to Kyurem's forms, and they are mutually exclusive, meaning that when it changes forms, that move will change, with the default being Glaciate. Being two-turn moves, they are not quite useful, although its power is massive enough to be threatening, coming from Kyurem's Base 170 offence (depending on the Forme).

Here's the in-game description for both moves:

Quote Originally Posted by Freeze Shock (BW)
    Type: Ice (Physical)
    Base Power: 140
    Accuracy: 90%
    PP: 5

On the second turn, the user hits the target with electrically charged ice. It may leave the target with paralysis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Burn (BW)
    Type: Ice (Special)
    Base Power: 140
    Accuracy: 90%
    PP: 5

On the second turn, an ultracold, freezing wind surrounds the target. This may leave the target with a burn.
    Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move? What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • How is it possible for an Ice attack to inflict Burn and Paralysis?
    • Why is a charge turn required to execute the move?
    • What would be the effect in battling if both moves are variations of Overheat (in addition to causing Burn and Paralysis)?

Here is the current user for Freeze Shock:
    (Level-up)
    • Kyurem-Black

Here is the current user for Ice Burn:
    (Level-up)
    • Kyurem-White

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The General Pokémon Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

For every four weeks, users get to vote for the next Move-of-the-Week. To narrow down the selection of potential moves, a criteria for the next move would be placed. If you want to vote, at least contribute to the topic in hand (because this topic is about the current move, not about voting for the next move). If you posted just to vote, your vote won't be considered.

Criterion for next move: Counterpart moves (A pair or trio of moves with a similar or opposite function. Examples are below)

- Return & Frustration
    - Reflect & Light Screen
    - Roar & Whirlwind
    - Flamethrower & Fire Blast
    - Ice Beam & Blizzard
    - Thunderbolt & Thunder
    - Fire Punch, Ice Punch & Thunder Punch
    - Electro Ball & Gyro Ball
    - Sunny Day & Rain Dance
    - Sweet Kiss & Lovely Kiss
    - Haze & Mist
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: Moves-of-the-Week Discussion #55: Freeze Shock & Ice Burn

I don't know how others would feel, but when I put my hands in cold water for a long time (I once had to use water outside in freezing weather when our pipe broke), my hands would feel cold as if they're going to freeze, then really painful, like, my skin is burning? And when I pull it out of the water, my hands are so numb that I have to warm them for a long time.

I'm pretty sure the effects of burns/paralysis reflect those ... if everybody else feels the same as well.

Blog Entries

Since I've never seen Ice Burn in action, I'll just talk about Freeze Shock. Basically, what I think occurs is, Kyurem-Black (or Smeargle) charges up voltage in its tail, which is then transferred through the tubes on Kyurem-Black's back through its body. This voltage transfer is what is happening within the charge turn. It then produces a very sharp icicle with the electricity contained in it. It then launches the icicle like a javelin, which damages the opposing Pokemon. If the electricity is intense enough, it could paralyze the opponent.

Edit: And since I think I can vote in my post, I"ll vote the next moves-of-the-week as Thunderbolt and Thunder.
    Last edited by Jdog1020; 5th August 2013 at 01:19 PM.
    winstein likes this.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Jdog1020 View Post
    Since I've never seen Ice Burn in action, I'll just talk about Freeze Shock. Basically, what I think occurs is, Kyurem-Black (or Smeargle) charges up voltage in its tail, which is then transferred through the tubes on Kyurem-Black's back through its body. This voltage transfer is what is happening within the charge turn. It then produces a very sharp icicle with the electricity contained in it. It then launches the icicle like a javelin, which damages the opposing Pokemon. If the electricity is intense enough, it could paralyze the opponent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Kyriaki View Post
    I don't know how others would feel, but when I put my hands in cold water for a long time (I once had to use water outside in freezing weather when our pipe broke), my hands would feel cold as if they're going to freeze, then really painful, like, my skin is burning? And when I pull it out of the water, my hands are so numb that I have to warm them for a long time.

I'm pretty sure the effects of burns/paralysis reflect those ... if everybody else feels the same as well.
    These are the impressions I got as well. Ice so cold it burns and... well, electrified ice.

I actually don't have much else to say this time, since the previous posters covered just about all I can think of. ^^