Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Yato
  • 3 Post By Norzan
  • 1 Post By Voltaire Magneton

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #90: Head Smash

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #90: Head Smash

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Head Smash is chosen as a recoil attack.

Generation 4 is when things are starting to power up, from the split of Physical and Special enabling more Pokémon to use their stat well to the addition of high-powered attacks. Head Smash is under the latter group, and it is so powerful it needs a huge recoil to balance it. The strongest attacker is Rampardos, who could really do a lot of damage with it. The riskiness of this move meant that the user needs to either be able to negate recoil damage or be a suicide attacker in order to maximise its effectiveness. Quite a few attackers have a strong head, despite there being a lot of "head" attackers.

Here's the in-game description for this move:

Quote Originally Posted by Earthquake (XY)
    Type: Rock (Physical)
    Base Power: 150
    Accuracy: 80%
    PP: 5

The user attacks the target with a hazardous, full-power headbutt. This also damages the user terribly.
    Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move? What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • Lots of Pokémon can learn head-based attacks, including Iron Head and Zen Headbutt, yet not as many attackers learn this powerful attack. What differentiates them from the others?
    • How is this headbutt attack Rock-type?

Here are the current users for this move:
    (Level-up)

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The General Pokémon Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

The user with the best post will receive the right to vote for next week's move on a Friday, as chosen by the mods of this section. The next move is based on criteria, as listed below.

Next Move Criteria: Black 2 & White 2 Move Tutor

Moves: Covet, Bug Bite, Drill Run, Bounce, Signal Beam, Iron Head, Super Fang, Uproar, Seed Bomb, Dual Chop, Low Kick, Gunk Shot, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Last Resort, Iron Defense, Magnet Rise, Magic Coat, Block, Hyper Voice, Electroweb, Icy Wind, Iron Tail, Aqua Tail, Earth Power, Zen Headbutt, Foul Play, Superpower, Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse, Bind, Snore, Heal Bell, Knock Off, Synthesis, Roost, Sky Attack, Role Play, Heat Wave, Giga Drain, Tailwind, Gastro Acid, Helping Hand, After You, Spite, Recycle, Trick, Stealth Rock, Outrage, Endeavor, Sleep Talk, Skill Swap, Snatch
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #90: Head Smash

I think Tauros and the Buffalo are good candidates for learning Head Smash. They charge at opponents head first (from what I saw in the anime), so if they've been doing that for a long time, maybe it's possible. The fact Hydrigon can learn this means this move doesn't have to be restricted to Rock, Steel, or Fighting-types.

The Ho-oh Lover legendarytrainer123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yato View Post
    I think Tauros and the Buffalo are good candidates for learning Head Smash. They charge at opponents head first (from what I saw in the anime), so if they've been doing that for a long time, maybe it's possible.
    It would make sense for Tauros and Bouffalant to learn Head Smash with them being based off of a bull and a buffalo.

Aggron is a great Head Smasher in my opinion as long as it has Rock Head. However, when it mega evolves, it loses that ability, so that's not always the case. But when it doesn't mega evolve, Rock Head + Head Smash is a good combo in my eyes. Also, I think Mamoswine would be some good Pokemon to have the ability to learn it logic-wise because it charges it's head like in the anime (don't remember exactly when in the anime though). And one last thing, how does Aegislash learn Head Smash?

Blog Entries

I know it's kinda off-topic but please GF release Tyrantrum with Rock Head already so i can spam recoil-less Head Smash. I can see Head Smash being used in construction sites to destroy large rocks and also to demolish houses.
    Last edited by Norzan; 11th April 2014 at 03:35 PM.

Claimer of Garchomp and Steam Eruption

Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

Lots of Pokémon can learn head-based attacks, including Iron Head and Zen Headbutt, yet not as many attackers learn this powerful attack. What differentiates them from the others?

I guess that this move requires a TERRIBLY HARD HEAD. Zen Headbutt is just a headbutt infused with Psychic-type energy. Iron Head is another headbutt reinforced with Steel-type power. Head Smash, however, is a pure headbutt with nothing to help. Just pure brawn. So the users must be terribly insane, err rock-headed to use this kind of a move.

How is this headbutt attack Rock-type?

They say that the cranium/skull is harder than rock. But instead of making it Steel-type (redundant to Iron Head), they chose another hard type, the Rock-type.
    winstein likes this.

URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

@Voltaire Magneton; Alright, I think your post is the best one of them all so far, so please vote the next move.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

@winstein; Oh, yippie. I will choose Heal Bell. (:

URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!