In Pokemon, there are a lot of different moves used by different Pokémon. However, there are certain moves we don't normally see being used, heard about, or used in a meaningful manner. On the other hand, there are moves we see that are famous or used often. In this type of discussion, we shall discuss the ins-and-outs of the move of the topic, and there will be some base questions that will help you. Every Saturday, a different move will be discussed.
This week's move is related to insects, because every Pokemon mentioned in this list are under the Bug Egg Group, or are Bug-types themselves. It is interesting to note that some of the not-yet-evolved insect-based Pokemon don't get this move, mainly larva and pupa ones like Caterpie and Metapod. This move also states that the user resists while using this move. The move is introduced in Generation 5, but is quite weak (30 BP), but its effect will always activate (unless Sheer Force is applied). Basically, when it hits, the target's Special Attack is reduced by one stage. It's important to note that this move also hits adjacent targets like Growl and Leer, so it basically increases the Special endurance of your team. Because this move is considered an attack, Taunt can't prevent it, though Sucker Punch might. As a TM, this move is easily available to teach, due to how TMs work in Generation 5.
Here are the usual possible questions about this move (though you could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
- How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
- What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
- How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
- Realistically, would there be any advantage or disadvantage associated with using this move? If yes, what kind of advantage/disadvantage would they have when they use it?
- Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
- How would this move be used in competitive battling, realistically or video game-wise?
- What does Struggle Bug/Insect Opposition/Insect Resistance mean in this move's context?
- How does this move relate to real life?
Here are the current users of this move (put in Spoiler since there are so many to list):
Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!
~ The Pokemon World Forum Staff