Move-of-the-Week Discussion #68: Spiky Shield

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #68: Spiky Shield

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #68: Spiky Shield

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Spiky Shield is chosen.

Each of Kalos' starters have a signature move (Greninja has two, it seems), and with the recent release of the games, I find it appropriate to put a move one of them exclusively owns as a topic. Unfortunately, nobody voted, so I choose the Grass starter's one (the first in the list). So, when Chesnaught finished the evolution, it learns this unique move. It is essentially Protect, but the unique property is that if the attack makes contact, the attacker receives some damage (1/8 HP), which even works in horde battles. Being the knight of the starters, a defensive move is appropriate to what it does.

Here's the in-game description for this move:

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (XY)
    Type: Grass (Other)
    Base Power: --
    Accuracy: --
    PP: 10

In addition to protecting the user from attacks, this move also damages any attacker who makes direct contact.
    Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move? What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • Why does Spiky Shield have a decreased rate of success when used in succession? (Note: rate drops to 1/3 when used again)

Here is the current (known) user of this move:
    (Level-up)
    • Chesnaught

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The General Pokémon Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

Next Move-of-the-Week: A weak Water attack.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #68: Spiky Shield

This move reminds me of Rough Skin or Iron Barbs or even Rocky Helmet, just in move form. Sadly, it's only exclusive to Chesnaught. It would have been one of the most used moves in competitive battling.

Why does Spiky Shield have a decreased rate of success when used in succession? (Note: rate drops to 1/3 when used again)
    Of course, to prevent abuse from overuse. Why is it only 1/3 rate decrease that concerns me. Does it have normal priority unlike Protect/Detect?

URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!

Blog Entries

This is actually one of my favorite new moves, and Chesnaught is one of my favorite new 'mons.

Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    Security. If anyone tries to ambush the Chesnaught guards, they be in for some real pain.

Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?
    The user quickly draws out said shield. Since it's a quick, instinctive motion, it has priority. If something touches it, a "jerk reflex" causes the spikes to extend.

Here's a question:

Why does Chesnaught use a retractable arm shield instead of his thorny shell?

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire Magneton View Post
    Why does Spiky Shield have a decreased rate of success when used in succession? (Note: rate drops to 1/3 when used again)
    Of course, to prevent abuse from overuse. Why is it only 1/3 rate decrease that concerns me. Does it have normal priority unlike Protect/Detect?
    Nope. It has the same priority as Protect/Detect. Like Protect/Detect, Feint/Phantom Force/Shadow Force goes through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Helioptile View Post
    Here's a question:

Why does Chesnaught use a retractable arm shield instead of his thorny shell?
    I think it's faster to do that rather than lug the shell. Still, it does bring the possibility of retracting into the shell like a tortoise considering that could be done quick too. I guess it's easier to animate that way.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    I can see it being used to protect people against falling objects and possible flying projectiles in construction sites and other such areas.

Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    Ferrothorn. How hard could it be to just turn one of its flails into a shield.

How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?
    Aside from the obvious deflecting of projectiles and melee attacks, I can see the Chesnaught using the shield as a melee weapon.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Blog Entries
    Follow Saeyru On Twitter

Spiky Shield! One of my favorite moves...if only it did a bit more recoil damage. Maybe around the same recoil damage as life orb, then that'd be cool I guess. That way, Chesnaught would really have a method to counter against those that dare to use moves like Flare Blitz against it. >D

Other than that though, it doesn't seem to stand out a WHOLE lot to me. As mentioned, if it did more recoil damage, then it'd be a super cool move, but now it's just a slightly improved protect, I suppose. xD

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Saeyru View Post
    Maybe around the same recoil damage as life orb, then that'd be cool I guess.
    So you want it to do less damage than it already does? Just so you know, Spiky Shield punishes contact attacks by inflicting damage equal to 1/8 of the attacker's max HP. Life Orb recoil is 1/10.

This is a pretty cool move for Chesnaught, and it might be for others if it weren't an exclusive move.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Blog Entries
    Follow Saeyru On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SharKing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Saeyru View Post
    Maybe around the same recoil damage as life orb, then that'd be cool I guess.
    So you want it to do less damage than it already does? Just so you know, Spiky Shield punishes contact attacks by inflicting damage equal to 1/8 of the attacker's max HP. Life Orb recoil is 1/10.

This is a pretty cool move for Chesnaught, and it might be for others if it weren't an exclusive move.
    I was unaware of this o_o I always thought it did less damage than life orb, not more.