In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Spiky Shield is chosen.
Each of Kalos' starters have a signature move (Greninja has two, it seems), and with the recent release of the games, I find it appropriate to put a move one of them exclusively owns as a topic. Unfortunately, nobody voted, so I choose the Grass starter's one (the first in the list). So, when Chesnaught finished the evolution, it learns this unique move. It is essentially Protect, but the unique property is that if the attack makes contact, the attacker receives some damage (1/8 HP), which even works in horde battles. Being the knight of the starters, a defensive move is appropriate to what it does.
Here's the in-game description for this move:
Here are the usual possible questions about this move:Originally Posted by In-game Description (XY)
- How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move? What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
- How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
- Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
- How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?
Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
- Why does Spiky Shield have a decreased rate of success when used in succession? (Note: rate drops to 1/3 when used again)
Here is the current (known) user of this move:
Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!
~ The General Pokémon Forum Staff
Next Move-of-the-Week: A weak Water attack.