Move-of-the-Week Discussion #66: Trick-or-Treat

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hex Maniac

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #66: Trick-or-Treat

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #66: Trick-or-Treat

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Trick-or-Treat is chosen.

It's our first Generation 6 move, so I start it with choosing one which is related to Halloween (despite the US practically only celebrating it), and the learners are thematically Halloween-based. I chose it because I like Ghost-types too. Anyway, this interesting move follows in the footsteps of Soak, in which it will give the target a new type. However, unlike Soak, this move adds a type to the target's current type, meaning that even if the target has two types, it will give them a third type. For example, a Bulbasaur will have Grass/Poison/Ghost when affected, while a Charmander will have Fire/Ghost.

Here's the in-game description for this move:

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (XY)
    Type: Ghost (Other)
    Base Power: --
    Accuracy: 100%
    PP: 20

The user takes the target trick-or-treating. This adds Ghost type to the target's type.
    Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move? What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • How does bringing a target trick-or-treating give them a Ghost-type?
    • Would adding a Ghost-type to a partner or opponent be helpful outside of battle?
    • Is the incident in Tower of Terror in the anime (where Ash become spirited) the same effect as this move?

Here are the current (known) users of this move:
    (Level-up)
    • Pumpkaboo & Gourgeist

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The General Pokémon Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

Next Move-of-the-Week: A move with a variable type that isn't what it is listed as.
    Last edited by winstein; 23rd October 2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Added Picture and Link
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #66: Trick-or-Treat

I'm looking forward to everyone's answers. Can we still post in old "move of the week" discussions? I don't have X and Y yet so what I know about this is limited to what I've read online.

I feel like this is mostly a gimmicky move on the surface but if used right could be helpful when taking down pokémon your team is at a disadvantage against. Throw in some moves with a type ghost is weak to and it gets easier to wear out the target, especially if the move is still effective if you switch out Pumpkaboo/Gorgeist for another pokémon in your party.

It seems like the kind of move only Ghost-types could realistically learn. It seems very specific. As to it being fitting, well, I think it really fits with Pumpkaboo/Gorgeist best of all types. :)

In the Pokémon world, thieves and spies could probably would use this move. They could get ghostified by Pumpkaboo and use it to go through walls. If it didn't apply to humans then they could train specific pokémons to sneak in after turning into ghost types. I'm not sure if there would be many benefits to using it outside of battle, really.

I believe the "takes the target trick-or-treating" part is just a cutesy way to refer to it, in the sense of how you have to put on a costume to go trick-or-treating so turning into a ghost type temporarily is a bit like putting on a scary costume. I don't think they literally go trick-or-treating. I picture the pokémon affected as looking a bit ghostly in a cartoonish way, this could work in the anime or in real life if Pokémon were real.
    winstein and Enzap like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SemioticSam View Post
    I'm looking forward to everyone's answers. Can we still post in old "move of the week" discussions? I don't have X and Y yet so what I know about this is limited to what I've read online.
    Yes, feel free to post in previous threads (links are provided in the main post). They are still open, so you could post in them.

I feel like this is mostly a gimmicky move on the surface but if used right could be helpful when taking down pokémon your team is at a disadvantage against. Throw in some moves with a type ghost is weak to and it gets easier to wear out the target, especially if the move is still effective if you switch out Pumpkaboo/Gorgeist for another pokémon in your party.
    I think like with any volatile effect, it will go off when the target is switched out. If these Pokemon could learn Pursuit, that would be fantastic because the chance of the strategy working is greater.

It seems like the kind of move only Ghost-types could realistically learn. It seems very specific. As to it being fitting, well, I think it really fits with Pumpkaboo/Gorgeist best of all types. :)
    I agree. The flavour of this move makes it more like it fits them.

In the Pokémon world, thieves and spies could probably would use this move. They could get ghostified by Pumpkaboo and use it to go through walls. If it didn't apply to humans then they could train specific pokémons to sneak in after turning into ghost types. I'm not sure if there would be many benefits to using it outside of battle, really.

I believe the "takes the target trick-or-treating" part is just a cutesy way to refer to it, in the sense of how you have to put on a costume to go trick-or-treating so turning into a ghost type temporarily is a bit like putting on a scary costume. I don't think they literally go trick-or-treating. I picture the pokémon affected as looking a bit ghostly in a cartoonish way, this could work in the anime or in real life if Pokémon were real.
    I kind of imagine it as more like the ghost of whoever is inflicted temporarily leaves the body for whatever reason, similar to how Ash leaves the body in Tower of Terror in the anime. If that's the case, I wonder how this move would be executed in the anime.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

Whenever I am thinking of Halloween, I imagine people dressing up as many characters, ghostly characters specifically. Perhaps, the basis of this move is that the costumes might have became special and caused a Ghost-typing.

But judging the move, it looks like it is like Soak. I could guess it is like the target was like, giving candy (or is it vice versa?). It's illogical if the Ghost-typing is related to the candy-givings.

Game-wise, I think it is gonna be tricky, 3 types? Looks like damage calculation had more changes than the Fairy-type addition.

URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Parting Shot! Petalburg Woods Forums!

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

I haven't seen the animation for this move yet, but I think the user would give the target something (maybe a ball of energy or even something that resembles candy) and it affects them in some way, maybe by making them appear like a cartoony ghost as SemioticSam said.

I think that Duskull and maybe Shuppet could be capable of learning this move.

Visit Rainbow's Youtube Channel

The animation for it is a bunch of ghosts going around the target, with a bigger one coming up from behind it. I love it, since it makes it easy for Gourgeist to take out Pokemon that it would normally be weak against, especially if you use Shadow Sneak and go first.

Blog Entries

As Rainbow said, a STAB shadow sneak super effective would do 120 damage, not bad by any means.
    I don't think they actually grab the Pokemon and take them trick or treating. The only explanation I can think of while I'm lying on my bed at seven in the morning wishing I was asleep is that it's more of an ideological thing, like an illusion that hypnotized them into feeling their a ghost type.

Or, most likely, Game Freak just threw it on the table and hoped no one would be so profound as to analyze it.

Blog Entries

Normally, certain players would prefer Shadow Sneak to be used twice instead of using this move and then Shadow Sneak, although it would only out-damage if it's like this: Trick-or-Treat -> Shadow Sneak x 3.

Perhaps a more interesting way of using it is to partner with a Pursuit attacker. First this move is used, then if the opponent didn't switch out by the time you bring in the Pursuit attacker, they are practically trapped. If that target is a Psychic-type that is weak to Dark, that makes them even more vulnerable. Don't know if this would work well if Gourgeist could learn Pursuit too, but it has the benefit of ensuring that the target can't leave without taking heavy damage.

Thanks for reading.

Blog Entries

Double posting to add that I added a picture that is found on Serebii.

I should also mention that Forest's Curse and Trick-or-Treat cannot stack. They override the other when used.

Thanks for reading.