Move-of-the-Week Discussion #64: Electro Ball

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By winstein

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #64: Electro Ball

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #64: Electro Ball

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Electro Ball is chosen.

It's only one more week before Generation 6 will begin, so it's time we do a Generation 5 move as a way before it will begin (although the next move will not be a Generation 6 one). So this is Electro Ball, an interesting move that uses the relativity of Speed between attacker and target to do damage. If the Speed difference is high, the damage is great. If it isn't, the damage won't be too hot. Usually, it's difficult to get the highest power since lots of Pokémon prefers Speed. However, paralysing the target will help this move get stronger, which is something Electric-types are able to easily do.

Here's the in-game description for this move:

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
    Type: Electric (Special)
    Base Power: Varies
    Accuracy: 100%
    PP: 10

The user hurls an electric orb at the target. The faster the user is than the target, the greater the damage.
    Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move? What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • Why is it that Electro Ball gets a power increase the slower the target is? Conversely, what makes this move weaker on fast targets?
    • Would this move do a lot of damage to slow-moving objects (not Pokémon)?

Here are the current users of this move:
    (Level-up)

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The General Pokémon Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

Next Move-of-the-Week: A surprise gift that could injure the recipient.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #64: Electro Ball

Question: suppose I have a Raichu with Electro-ball. The opponent has an Aggron. They used Trick Room. Will Electro-ball still deal enough damage?

*I've never used Electro-ball before so I am really curious

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Kyriaki View Post
    Question: suppose I have a Raichu with Electro-ball. The opponent has an Aggron. They used Trick Room. Will Electro-ball still deal enough damage?

*I've never used Electro-ball before so I am really curious
    Imagine Gyro Ball, but in reverse. Gyro Ball does big damage to things with high Speed if the user has a low Speed, like how Bronzong uses Trick Room to hurt things with Gyro Ball. Electro Ball would use your Speed stat and the opponent's, so even in Trick Room, that damage will be the same. Remember, the numbers are still the same, but in Trick Room, the order is reversed, so it doesn't affect calculation.

Thanks for reading.
    Yato likes this.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

I have a theory about why it effects slower Pokemon. Maybe the move itself has a large radius but is pretty slow, so if the target is fast they can avoid direct damage. The slower the target, the harder it is for them to dodge a full zapping.