Move-of-the-Week Discussion #63: Cut

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #63: Cut

Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #63: Cut

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Cut is chosen.

This is the first HM you will receive in your quest, and it is this way since Generation 1. With this move, you can access otherwise inaccessible areas, usually to acquire some neat items behind the obstruction. In earlier generations, you can even cut the grass to be on the safe side. Interestingly, Hyper Cutter Pokémon gets more range in Emerald. Unfortunately (or fortunately for the wild Pokémon), you can't do this in later Generations. As a battle move, it is a simple attack with no side effects, making it an unlikely move to use in the long term. It is one of the most widespread moves, despite not being learned naturally by anyone.

Here's the in-game description for this move:

Quote Originally Posted by Cut (BW)
    Type: Normal (Physical)
    Base Power: 50
    Accuracy: 95%
    PP: 30

The target is cut with a scythe or a claw. It can also be used to cut down thin trees.
    Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move? What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • Does this move succeed in its purpose as an early-game move?
    • There are quite a few Pokémon that can cut things, but cannot learn this move. What justification is there? To get you started, not every Eeveelution gets Cut, as with Zangoose and Seviper.
    • Why is it that Cut only cuts small trees (that even grow back somehow) and not the larger, thicker ones?

Here are the current users for this move:

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The General Pokémon Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

For every four weeks, users get to vote for the next Move-of-the-Week. To narrow down the selection of potential moves, a criteria for the next move would be placed. If you want to vote, at least contribute to the topic in hand (because this topic is about the current move, not about voting for the next move). If you posted just to vote, your vote won't be considered.

One more thing: if a move is already covered in a past Move-of-the-Week, then it won't be considered, so make sure to check the list to see if the move you wish to vote had already been covered.

Criterion for next move: Electric-type move

Last edited by Winterdaze; 28th September 2013 at 12:03 AM.
    “Detachment does not consist in setting fire to one's house, or becoming bankrupt or throwing one's fortune out of the window, or even giving away all of one's possessions. Detachment consists in refraining from letting our possessions possess us.”

Bonus article: Ice-type Reviews - Generation 2 (Selected TCG Art) (01/12/2014)

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #63: Cut

This move, while horrible later on, serves decently well as an early-game move; and also serves as a good filler move on a Technician Scyther in the Gen II remakes. Cut can be used to simply obtain wood to build houses with, meaning it would be a useful HM to a lumberjack.

Here's a list of the reasons I think a Pokemon can learn Cut (if it doesn't make sense)

Bulbasaur family- They have fangs, or they use Razor Leaf to cut down the tree.
    Ferrothorn- It could spin around; it is spiky, after all.
    Breloom- A tail swipe

That's about it, actually; maybe I'll edit the post to add more.

Oh, and I vote for Bolt Strike.
    My planned dream team- in the works (eventually)

PM me if you wish to add me as a friend on the 3DS!

Official Claimer of Oblivion Wing on 3/15/14, of the Relic Crown and Enigma Stone on 5/17/14, and most especially Arcanine on 7/5/14! Also, I claimed Tiki and Robin from Fire Emblem, but that doesn't matter too much. Oh, wait, there's also the Hookshot, Dragonstone, Thoron, and Crusader Blade. I have way too many claims...

Cut really is the worst HM move, at least the others either have decent power or some kind of useful side effect. Perhaps if it had a high critical hit rate like Slash, or a chance of raising attack like Metal Claw there might be some incentive to use it early in the game. Your Pokemon is going to have to suffer with it until the move deleter comes along, so it could stand to be a bit more useful.

I'll vote for Electro Ball.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Why is it that Cut only cuts small trees (that even grow back somehow) and not the larger, thicker ones?
    Taking Rampardos for example, considering its monstrous base attack stat, it could easily knock down trees with barely any effort and therefore should be able to cut it as well. However, you can't make Rampardos cut down a large tree. My opinion is that its not that it can't cut down large trees, but it doesn't want to cut large trees. In the over-world, the large trees are usually found as part of a forest - in other words, a habitat and home to several pokemons. If we use the move Headbutt in the Johto games, sleeping pokemons fall out of the trees. In the Hoenn games, we can discover that a large tree can be roomy enough to house several cushions, a PC, and even a table (although it is limited to trees with vines). If a kid can make a shelter in a large tree, then imagine how many Spearows could live in there.

Thus, a large tree is more a house than just a tree to pokemons. Cutting down a large tree would mean cutting down someone's house - and therefore, it may be that our pokemons simply do not want to break down a potential house that may belong to someone.

Maybe there are two different types of pokemon that can't learn Cut. Things like Clamperl obviously just can't cut down trees. But things like Zangoose may be TOO powerful for the purpose of cutting down small trees, and it's frowned upon by society to mutilate trees to such an extent that they would never grow back. (Also, perhaps Zangoose has some kind of poison on its claws that would kill the tree)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    Cut really is the worst HM move, at least the others either have decent power or some kind of useful side effect. Perhaps if it had a high critical hit rate like Slash, or a chance of raising attack like Metal Claw there might be some incentive to use it early in the game. Your Pokemon is going to have to suffer with it until the move deleter comes along, so it could stand to be a bit more useful.
    It's interesting that Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald doesn't require Cut to complete the main quest, although I never actually see it done in practice (it's mentioned in the trivia). I kind of like how you only need one HM slave to go through Victory Road this way (with Surf, Waterfall, Strength and Flash). I forgot if Rock Smash is needed, but if yes, then disregard that. Anyway, I do agree that Cut doesn't have a lot of uses after you have gotten everything that needed Cut, so it's kind of a waste on a Pokemon you would normally use and not a HM slave. I do wonder if this move would see more use if it could either hit Ghost-types or is of another type.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Kyriaki View Post
    Why is it that Cut only cuts small trees (that even grow back somehow) and not the larger, thicker ones?
    Taking Rampardos for example, considering its monstrous base attack stat, it could easily knock down trees with barely any effort and therefore should be able to cut it as well. However, you can't make Rampardos cut down a large tree. My opinion is that its not that it can't cut down large trees, but it doesn't want to cut large trees. In the over-world, the large trees are usually found as part of a forest - in other words, a habitat and home to several pokemons. If we use the move Headbutt in the Johto games, sleeping pokemons fall out of the trees. In the Hoenn games, we can discover that a large tree can be roomy enough to house several cushions, a PC, and even a table (although it is limited to trees with vines). If a kid can make a shelter in a large tree, then imagine how many Spearows could live in there.

Thus, a large tree is more a house than just a tree to pokemons. Cutting down a large tree would mean cutting down someone's house - and therefore, it may be that our pokemons simply do not want to break down a potential house that may belong to someone.
    That's an impressive reason for the justification, because it shows that Pokemon are not merely like animals where they don't necessarily have any thought on what they do (like how beavers just bite trees off without any thought of its inhabitants). Perhaps a less heartwarming reason, but it would be funny if cutting down large trees is against the law that would get trainers arrested if they actually do that, with the justification that you provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Karpi View Post
    Maybe there are two different types of pokemon that can't learn Cut. Things like Clamperl obviously just can't cut down trees. But things like Zangoose may be TOO powerful for the purpose of cutting down small trees, and it's frowned upon by society to mutilate trees to such an extent that they would never grow back. (Also, perhaps Zangoose has some kind of poison on its claws that would kill the tree)
    Perhaps control is an important factor with this move. After all, this move is essentially a samurai technique if looking at the Japanese name, so you might have a point that Zangoose might not have that form of control compared to certain Poison-types like Drapion and Skuntank.

Thanks for reading.
    “Detachment does not consist in setting fire to one's house, or becoming bankrupt or throwing one's fortune out of the window, or even giving away all of one's possessions. Detachment consists in refraining from letting our possessions possess us.”

Bonus article: Ice-type Reviews - Generation 2 (Selected TCG Art) (01/12/2014)

Blog Entries
    Follow Muur On Twitter
    Follow Muur on Tumblr Visit Muur's Youtube Channel

Cut would be useful irl, have you Pokemon open stuff for you. Then again they can just use Slash instead of something... They should really let moves like Slash do what cut can do, cut is just too weak.