Move-of-the-Week Discussion #61: Comet Punch

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jdog1020
  • 1 Post By Enzap

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #61: Comet Punch

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #61: Comet Punch

(Special shout out to @Jdog1020; for guessing this move correctly)

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Comet Punch is chosen.

Going back to the basics, we have this move that was introduced all the way back in Generation 1. What it does is to allow the user to unleash a flurry of punches, and with its unusual base power, it will have a maximum base power of 90, or 108 in an Iron Fist user's case. Oddly enough, as a punching attack, it is one of the narrowly distributed ones, considering the range of users who punch. The Japanese name also has a Comet Punch, but that move is different, as we know that move as Meteor Mash, a move that sees even less distribution.

Here's the in-game description for this move:

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
    Type: Normal (Physical)
    Base Power: 18
    Accuracy: 85%
    PP: 15

The target is hit with a flurry of punches that strike two to five times in a row.
    Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move? What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • What does a comet have to do with this move?
    • Why is it that this move cannot always connect all its punches?

Here are the current users of this move:
    (Level-up)

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The General Pokémon Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

Next Move-of-the-Week: The berry is unusable for the rest of the match.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #61: Comet Punch

Yay me :D

Anyway, I've always suspected Comet Punch to relate to meteor showers. The 2-5 hit ratio is because the longevity of a meteor shower can vary. Kanghaskhan seems to be closely associated with this move, and I've always thought its because the baby Kanghaskhan is getting in the fight, throwing some punches, while the mother throws the main punches. I've always thought Clefable and it's family should be able to learn it, because comets and meteors have to do with space, and Clefable is associated with space. Keep in mind I don't know the Japanese name, it could be different, but it can learn Meteor Mash.

Oh, and I'm guessing the move is Natural Gift. Trying to keep a record here for correctly guessing.
    winstein likes this.
    My planned dream team- in the works (eventually)

Friend Code is on the Trainer Card; feel free to try to challenge me to trade unless I'm busying with school or Fire Emblem Awakening.

Official Claimer of Oblivion Wing on 3/15/14

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jdog1020 View Post
    Yay me :D
    It's my pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdog1020 View Post
    I've always thought Clefable and it's family should be able to learn it, because comets and meteors have to do with space, and Clefable is associated with space. Keep in mind I don't know the Japanese name, it could be different, but it can learn Meteor Mash.

Oh, and I'm guessing the move is Natural Gift. Trying to keep a record here for correctly guessing.
    Comet Punch is called the Consecutive Punch in Japanese, which is why this move launch several punching hits and is not originally related to comets. The real Comet Punch is Meteor Mash, which is called that in Japanese. Therefore, Clefairy rightfully learns this move. Since both it and Metang learns it, it's difficult to determine whose signature move it is. It could be Metang for its Steel-type, but it could also be Clefairy's because it is related to comets.

By the way, the move I have in mind was Incinerate, since it completely renders the berry unusable (the description even says so), unlike some moves that gets the user or opponent to use the berry such as Natural Gift or Pluck (and it will be lost until the match is over).

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Comet Punch is easily one of the most easily overlooked attacks I believe. Until Generation II only three Pokemon were able to use it, and neither were particularly famous for it either. I'd say "Comet" Punch is a bit of a misnomer, but it might refer to a meteor shower since it rains down multiple punches on the opponent. I find it odd that Machamp doesn't learn this move either through breeding or level-up since it's known for attacking with four hands at one, similar to Ledian. The inaccuracy of this move may be the result of attacking quickly but recklessly, so if the target may be able to evade the attack from its beginning and avoid all damage.
    winstein likes this.

I didn't know this move even existed. Thanks for telling me about it.
    Alec: 1590-5797-6050
    ATTENTION: Any friend that I have friend requested on my 3DS and has not added me back will be deleted by March 1st

Blog Entries

To be blunt, I'm surprised that many Fighting-types don't learn this move.

Realistically, any pokèmon with hands should be able to throw a punch.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    To be blunt, I'm surprised that many Fighting-types don't learn this move.

Realistically, any pokèmon with hands should be able to throw a punch.
    I think it requires faster skills than to just be capable of throwing a punch. But I understand your point. Many fast-based Pokemon such as Machamp, Lucario, and Primeape should be able to learn this, in my opinion.