Move-of-the-Week Discussion #60: Hurricane

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Yato
  • 1 Post By Jdog1020

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #60: Hurricane

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #60: Hurricane

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Hurricane is chosen.

Hurricane is a variation of Thunder, which we discussed about earlier. This Generation 5 move works like Thunder in which it is normally inaccurate (even more so in Sun), but it becomes perfectly accurate in Rain. Because of this, it is a great attack to use in Rain due to its high power. Not even those trying to avoid it through Fly can avoid this move. In addition to this, it has a 30% chance to cause confusion instead of Thunder's paralysis chance. Based on its name, this move sounds destructive since hurricanes are known to cause a lot of damage to anything that crosses its path.

Here's the in-game description for this move:

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
    Type: Flying (Special)
    Base Power: 120
    Accuracy: 70%
    PP: 10

The user attacks by wrapping its opponent in a fierce wind that flies up into the sky. It may also confuse the target.
    Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move? What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • Why does Hurricane cause confusion on the target?
    • How does Sun reduce the accuracy of this move?
    • Considering this move's destructive effects, how are the trainers shielded from its effect (especially in rain)?

Here are the current users of this move:
    (Level-up)

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The General Pokémon Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

Next Move-of-the-Week: An attack that launches several punches.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #60: Hurricane

Despite it being a Flying type move, I'm pretty surprised that only a few flying-types can learn them - especially when the majority of flying-types can whip up strong winds with their wings. Namely Zapdos, Fearow, Staraptor, Unfezant, Noctowl, Honchkrow, Skarmory, Swellow, Ho-oh, Lugia and others I may have missed.

Even if we find some reason why the other birds can't learn hurricane, at least Zapdos and Lugia should be able to learn it.

I guess Zapdos can't actually flap his wings (they look so stiff, so I think Zapdos is more a glider) to generate strong winds, but he's still a cause and representation of a storm, so I thought it was a given that Zapdos should be able to learn Hurricane. It's pretty strange that his friends can learn it while he can't.

Lugia represents the sea (as the sea guardian). Any major sea storm would have to do with Lugia, and Hurricanes mostly occur near warm water/oceans - hence the name tropical cyclone. Lugia should also be able to learn Hurricane as well. ESPECIALLY since Lugia can use Aeroblast, which according to bulbapedia is a "concentrated, hurricane-like vortex stream"

And since I brought up the origin of hurricane forming near warm water/oceans, one of the factors needed to create a hurricane is water. Hurricanes don't form in dry places - but rather coastal areas where it's humid. It also needs to be warm as well - which is why hurricanes are mostly common near the equator.

In the case of Pokemon, Sunny conditions can be caused by two things - using the move Sunny Day, or having the ability Drought. Thus, bringing out the sun makes the whole battle area dry, and thus makes it a less favorable situation to create a hurricane (which needs moisture). Which, in other words, make Rainy conditions a much better weather to use Hurricane.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #60: Hurricane

When you think about it, Hurricane and Thunder Zapdos with rain would be kind of broken. But back to the topic; Dragonite can learn it because dragons are powerful and if Dragonite can launch an Ice Beam it can use a Hurricane. Dragonite ain't using those tiny wings to start a Hurricane. Whimiscott really suprises me; it's based off cotton, and I don't remember cotton causing a hurricane. I've always thought it just manipulated cotton to resemble a hurricane. Mewtwo can use pretty much almost any type of move that you can think of, so if Mewtwo can wield fire or launch a blizzard, it can make a Hurricane. Seems legit.

Hurricane probably confuses you because imagine if, say, you're home was destroyed in a hurricane or someone you loved just died in it. What would you be? Shocked, maybe, but confused too. Or you could just say you got dizzy :P. And while this doesn't apply to regular, random battles, Trainers are probably shielded in Elite Four and Gym Leader matches by something in the buildings, like barriers to keep you safe.

Also, I'm guessing Comet Punch is the next move-of-the-week :D I've wanted to do that one for a while, but Dizzy Punch, the next most likely one, is nice too.
    Last edited by Jdog1020; 6th September 2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Don't you just hate typos?
    winstein likes this.
    My planned dream team- in the works (eventually)

Friend Code is on the Trainer Card; feel free to try to challenge me to trade unless I'm busying with school or Fire Emblem Awakening.

Official Claimer of Oblivion Wing on 3/15/14