Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PKMN Trainer Faye

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #6: Reflect Type

Zeb
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #6: Reflect Type

In Pokemon, there are a lot of different moves used by different Pokémon. However, there are certain moves we don't normally see being used, heard about, or used in a meaningful manner. In this type of discussion, we shall discuss the ins-and-outs of the move of the topic, and there will be some base questions that will help you. Every Saturday Sunday (for this week), a different move will be discussed.

This week, the move we will be focusing on is Reflect Type, a non-damaging Normal-type move introduced in Generation 5. Reflect Type changes the user's type to match the type or types of the target. Reflect Type works through Illusion, but fails when used by a Pokémon with Multitype.

Here are some questions for you to answer about this move, if you so desire:

• How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Realistically, would there be any advantage or disadvantage associated with using this move? If yes, what kind of advantage/disadvantage would they have when they use it?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in competitive battling, realistically and in video game terms?

Here are the current learners of this move:

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

Previous move-of-the-week threads:

~ The Pokemon World Forum Staff
    Last edited by winstein; 31st August 2012 at 10:51 PM.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #6: Reflect Type

Reflect Type is literally called Mirror Type in Japan. Taking it literally I think Bronzor would be a good candidate to learn it as its based on a mirror.

Generally I'd say Reflect Type is a bad move that can only be used effectively in certain situations. You don't always want to lose STAB on your moves if you use it on a foe with a completely different typing, and the moveslot can be used for a move that isn't situational. Getting a defensive typing would have some benefits if you wanted to set up more easily.

Zeb
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

The pool of pokemon that learn this move is just abysmal. I think Kecleon would make a good candidate, since it already has Colour Change and Camouflage which it can use to change types, so Reflect Type seems like a good fit for its design and abilities. Though it could get really annoying swapping types with Reflect Type then being hit by a move and Colour Change changing it again xD

It seems like it's a Psychic-type thing by the looks of it though. So maybe Gardevoir and Gothitelle. Also Grumpig and Chimecho to give them something different than the majority of other psychics, I guess. Bronzor, like Iteru said, might also be good.

Shedinja would also be a lulzy choice to learn it, especially if it can cause itself to have less weaknesses when it uses it; though from a logical point it probably wouldn't make any sense.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Naturally, this is a move that is much more useful for defensive pokémon that wouldn't really care about losing STAB. It could potentially give a wall with good potential but bad typing a great niche at stopping certain attackers in their tracks.

Probably it wouldn't learn it, but I can see Regice for instance making good use of this.

To be a bit more on-topic with the questions, a Pokémon I am surprised doesn't learn it is Porygon. Not only does it already change types, it can also percieve its opponent as data and download or readjust itself. And given the concept of textures in 3D models, it is also pretty fitting thematically.

Not like it would make much of an use of it, like with its other type-changing moves... or would it? With it, perhaps changing type more reliably, and becoming dual-typed, could be used to better extent.

[/overexposition]

This move is actually competitively viable, I used it on a Calm Mind Latias so that it could safely beat Ferothorn, Scizor and Tyranitar.

It reflects the ENTIRE type? Even Dark/Ghost? Hm, Shedinja, come here for a second, meet Sableye and your new "TM"...
    Yato likes this.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

It is sad that this move has such pathetic distribution. In general, it is outclassed by using a coverage move.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRed View Post
    It reflects the ENTIRE type? Even Dark/Ghost? Hm, Shedinja, come here for a second, meet Sableye and your new "TM"...
    It doesn't work on Ghost types.

... or shouldn't, I haven't tested it nor does anywhere say it, but targeted status moves are affected by type immunities so I'd think it doesn't.

[/overexposition]

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Mk-II View Post
    It doesn't work on Ghost types.

... or shouldn't, I haven't tested it nor does anywhere say it, but targeted status moves are affected by type immunities so I'd think it doesn't.
    Confuse Ray is a Ghost-type move and it works on every type. Even on Normal-types. I assume it's because it's non-damaging, so Reflect Type might work as well.

Though... I think this could be abused in Double or Triple battles. Have a Sableye/Spiritomb on your team and get the Reflect Type user to gain the types. Then you get a pokemon with no weaknesses.

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

I think this could be abused in Double or Triple battles. Have a Sableye/Spiritomb on your team and get the Reflect Type user to gain the types. Then you get a pokemon with no weaknesses.
    Eelektross says hi...

Back on topic, it could be used to gain an immunity to a type the Pokemon is mormally weak to. Staryu/Starmie using the move on a Ground type could give an Electric immunity. A Pokemon could also use the move to gain STAB on their usual coverage moves like Starmie's Thunderbolt to hit Water and Flying types harder, while Ice Beam and Hydro Pump can help fight off Ground types that threaten the new Electric type. Of course, this is clearly a gimmick move and I wouldn't recomennd it...
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!