Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Yato
  • 1 Post By Enzap

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #57: Flame Wheel

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #57: Flame Wheel

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Thunderbolt & Thunder are chosen.

This week, we'll be looking at a moderately powerful Fire type move, Flame Wheel. Introduced in Generation 2, the move is one of the few ways in the game that Pokemon can use to cure themselves of Freeze status. Flame Wheel generally takes the role of an intermediate STAB move in a Pokemon's moveset, replacing weaker moves like Ember until more powerful Fire type moves can be accessed.

Here's the in-game description for the move:

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Wheel (BW)
    Type: Fire (Physical)
    Base Power: 60
    Accuracy: 100%
    PP: 25

The user cloaks itself in fire and charges at the target. It may also leave the target with a burn.
    Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move? What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • Why does Flame Wheel cure Freeze status, while most other Fire type moves do not?
    • How does Flame Wheel differ from Flame Charge, which has a similar description?

Here is the current user list for Flame Wheel:
    (Level-up)

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The General Pokémon Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

Next Move-of-the-Week: Moderately powerful Steel attack that may lower accuracy.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #57: Flame Wheel

Whoa, I never knew that Flame Wheel was only learned by a few pokemons!

It seems... this move can be learned by Pokemons that are capable of curling themselves up in a ball while emitting fire. The Ponyta family have flaming manes, so they are logical candidates; the Cyndaquil family also have fire on their backs and they have relatively long bodies that can enable them to curl up. The Chimchar family have flaiming tails and hair (in the case of Infernape). Larvesta doesn't have anything flaming, but arguably, it has the ability Flame Body, and it can curl up just fine. The Darumaka family are capable of rolling up, and I guess they don't have any problem spinning fire.

I don't understand why Rattata can learn it, yet other mouse-like pokemons such as Sandshrew can't - when Sandshrew is obviously better at curling up. If there can be other pokemon who should be able to learn it, I'd say the Slugma family - especially Magcargo. It's body is lava/magma to begin with, and it has a shell on its back so it can roll up just fine.

"The user cloaks itself in fire"
    Well, you're basically aflame, so if you were freezing, all you need to do is put yourself on fire.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Since the Japanese name is the same as the English, I imagine Flame Wheel is meant for the flames to spin around the user, unlike Flame Charge in which the flames seem to be pushed out, propelling it forward at a faster speed. The spinning flames would give it more attacking power, but would not increase speed like Flame Charge.

^ Larvesta does have flames that come out of the spikes around its head.

I believe Ponyta only learns this move because it was incapable of learning a decent physical Fire attack until Flare Blitz before Platinum. It made training one very difficult. So it seems kind of silly imagining a horse rolling into a ball and attacking, it was a much needed attack. It could be that the entire Pokemon doesn't roll, just the flames. This would explain Pokemon like Arcanine and Rapidash learning this attack.
    winstein likes this.

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I initially envisioned this move as an acrobatic one where the user would roll into a wheel in a cartwheel stunt, since Chimchar learns it, and I guess Rattata too. Now that I think about it, it might be that the user generate a wheel of fire in front of them and then charge at the target, if its contact status is to come by. It would have beein interesting if this move projects a wheel of fire to the target like the fiery rings in any risky performances, so it could be used to jump loops within the rings.

I find it interesting that this is one of the few moves that cures freeze, which is normally unlikely to happen. It could be useful, although Flare Blitz is another move that cures freeze, so most users are more preferred to use this move (only exception is Rattata and Raticate).

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)