Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Yato
  • 1 Post By winstein
  • 2 Post By Winterdaze

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #51: Encore

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #51: Encore

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Encore is chosen.

Introduced in Generation 2, this nifty move will cause the target to repeat the move they had been using again for a few turns. In fact, even if the move were to fail in its execution, the target will still repeat it! However, should that move be disabled in some form, such as Taunt, Torment or Disable, the user will be forced to Struggle. This innocent-looking move is one disrupting move, because it will mess up the opponent's strategy, and it works best on faster users, because once the targed used the wrong move, you have the potential to encourage the target to be trapped with the move they are currently using.

Here's the in-game description of this move:

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
    Type: Normal (Status)
    Base Power: --
    Accuracy: 100%
    PP: 5

The user compels the target to keep using only the move it last used for three turns.
    Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move? What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The General Pokémon Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

For every four weeks, users get to vote for the next Move-of-the-Week. To narrow down the selection of potential moves, a criteria for the next move would be placed. If you want to vote, at least contribute to the topic in hand (because this topic is about the current move, not about voting for the next move). If you posted just to vote, your vote won't be considered.

Criterion for next move: Legendary Pokémon's Signature Move (Note: This applies to any move that only legendary Pokémon currently have, not just moves restricted to one legendary, such as Sacred Sword.)
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #51: Encore

After we see a splendid show on stage, we yell "Encore! Encore!". This means we appreciate the skill and awesomeness of the performer, and we're willing to watch their show again, even if it's the same thing. It seems that's how this move works. Clapping is meant to encourage. It brings the tension and pressure of having the performer to perform the show again.

Is there anything else other than Sacred Sword that's shared among legendaries?

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Kyriaki View Post
    Is there anything else other than Sacred Sword that's shared among legendaries?
    Unfortunately, I don't quite have the time to investigate every move that fits that criteria.

The idea with signature moves shared among legendaries is that there are moves that certain legendary Pokemon get in events, such as V-Create for Rayquaza, Fusion Bolt and Fusion Flare for Victini and Roar of Time, Spacial Rend and Shadow Force for Arceus, so I didn't state that the move is merely a legendary's signature move because there may be some people that would think that V-Create isn't a signature move (since Rayquaza also learns it) and won't choose it, so I opt to increase the selection.

Thanks for reading.
    Yato likes this.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Encore, aka my favourite move in the game. There is just so much you can do with it.

As for clapping, I don't think it's necessary since many Pokemon that can learn it don't have hands, or any kind of limbs. The effect is in the encouragement, and tricking the opponent into thinking they're using the right move.
    Enzap and Akromatic like this.

I love this move. I use it with a pokémon I switch in on a resisted or immune move, so they are forced to keep using that move and unfold my plan.