Move-of-the-Week Discussion #5 - Eruption

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #5 - Eruption

Blog Entries
    Follow ghaskan On Twitter
    Follow ghaskan on Tumblr

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #5 - Eruption

In Pokemon, there are a lot of different moves used by different Pokémon. However, there are certain moves we don't normally see being used, heard about, or used in a meaningful manner. In this type of discussion, we shall discuss the ins-and-outs of the move of the topic, and there will be some base questions that will help you. Every Saturday, a different move will be discussed.

This week, the move we will be focusing on is Eruption, a damage-dealing move introduced in Generation 3. Eruption does damage proportionately based on the user's HP; the base power reduces as the user's HP reduces. Thus, the move's maximum base power is when the Pokémon is at full HP, a stunning 150. This move is not very widely spread, being only learned by a handful of select fire-types. Here are some questions for you to answer about this move, if you so desire:

• How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Realistically, would there be any advantage or disadvantage associated with using this move? If yes, what kind of advantage/disadvantage would they have when they use it?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in competitive battling, realistically and in video game terms?

Here are the current learners of this move:

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The Pokemon World Forum Staff

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #5 - Eruption

I'm not an expert of Pokemon battling, but my experience with this moves tells me that only Groudon can use this move effectively, even with his less-than-sub-par Special Attack. D: As a lead, provided that the opposing lead isn't Kyogre, Eruption Groudon at max HP will basically one-shot anything. With the assistance of PsyPoke's damage calculator, Rash Groudon @ Choice Specs VS Timid Deoxys-S (the common Uber lead as far as I've seen...):

284-335, with Deoxys-S having a max HP of 304, so...it's a fairly good chance for an OHKO. Of course, it's all situational, but I never had any luck with Eruption on other Pokemon.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Hmmm... to use it in battle?

I suggest giving a Typhlosion a Quick Claw. Eruption is at its best when the user is at full HP, so it is quite important to use it before any damage is done to you. Healing during battle is rather hard, so try your luck and attack first.

Or, you could set up a Trick Room Team, if you're unsure about speed. Typhlosion's base speed isn't all that bad, but there are still pokemons that are quicker.

Quick Claw/Trick Room would be a bad idea. Quick Claw is unreliable, and Typhlosion is too fast for Trick Room. He'd get out-speeded by anything formally slower than him, which is a lot. If more speed is needed than a Choice Scarf would work more reliably. But he's fast enough that you could get away with using Choice Specs for the sheer power.

I think Typhlosion is the best user of this move, he's fast, has the highest Special Attack of any of the users and he receives STAB on it. I consider it a pseudo-signature move for him. The problem is getting him into position to use it without having him take any damage, from entry hazards or enemy attacks.

As for other Pokemon who could conceivably learn it, what about the Magmar line? They're quite often associated with Volcanoes after all.

Starters of choice.
    Claimed Volcarona on 03/04/12.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    Quick Claw/Trick Room would be a bad idea. Quick Claw is unreliable, and Typhlosion is too fast for Trick Room. He'd get out-speeded by anything formally slower than him, which is a lot. If more speed is needed than a Choice Scarf would work more reliably. But he's fast enough that you could get away with using Choice Specs for the sheer power.

I think Typhlosion is the best user of this move, he's fast, has the highest Special Attack of any of the users and he receives STAB on it. I consider it a pseudo-signature move for him. The problem is getting him into position to use it without having him take any damage, from entry hazards or enemy attacks.
    Ah, so Typhlosion is that fast? I thought it had slightly-above-average speed.

As for other Pokemon who could conceivably learn it, what about the Magmar line? They're quite often associated with Volcanoes after all.
    Then why not Volcarona as well? The name literally spells Volcano + Corona XDD I think Arcanine could learn it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen View Post

Ah, so Typhlosion is that fast? I thought it had slightly-above-average speed.
    Yeah, he has 100 base Speed.

Then why not Volcarona as well? The name literally spells Volcano + Corona XDD I think Arcanine could learn it as well.
    Well, it's only his English name that has a connection to volcanoes. He'd definitely be a good user though: he's just as fast as Typhlosion, with marginally higher special attack, and certain sets are quite good at recovering his health back to 100% after taking damage! As for Arcanine, I thought about him, but didn't remember any sort of connection to volcanoes.

Starters of choice.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Well, it's only his English name that has a connection to volcanoes. He'd definitely be a good user though: he's just as fast as Typhlosion, with marginally higher special attack, and certain sets are quite good at recovering his health back to 100% after taking damage! As for Arcanine, I thought about him, but didn't remember any sort of connection to volcanoes.
    I see... then how about Emboar?

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen View Post
    I see... then how about Emboar?

I think Emboar is too slow to use it effectively. The pig has lower Special Attack than Typhlosion too.
    Last edited by Gengarzilla; 19th August 2012 at 09:36 AM.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Typhlosion is a pretty good user of it, you could equip him with choice specs or scarf to boost his sp.atk/speed. Or if you are playing in game you could keep healing him to boost the power of eruption.
    maglev is invisible

Blog Entries

Lets see....Eruption could be useful in real life for breaking up huge chunks of ice that are in the way more effectively that simply trying to melt it all. Such as having a Camerupt handy on a ship traveling in icy water. If used on roads however, it would only leave rocks in place of snow.
    Our goal is to get The Pokemon Company International to return the voice actors from the dub by 4Kids. (seasons 1-8)
    If you're interested, please join us at Facebook and sign our petition!
    We're also open to considering passionate Pokemon fans as staff. Your help is valued; only together may we succeed!

Blog Entries

A Pokémon that I think should get Eruption is Moltres. The 'Dex entries state it dips into volcanoes to heal itself. Moltres has 90 base speed which is okay and leaves something to be desired, but the 125 base special attack is very appealing. While a Choice Scarf would be best (Something like Eruption, Air Slash, Hidden Power Grass, Fire Blast/U-turn) a set with Roost to replenish its HP to use Eruption again might have mixed results. I think Moltres having the move makes more sense than Torkoal does.

For a real life situation, I guess as a countermeasure against floods or tidal weaves. The heat from the move would cause evaporation to lessen the water, and the rocks would help to form a wall of defence against the waves. Whether that would work out as simply as that (or have some nasty reprecussions) is something I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    A Pokémon that I think should get Eruption is Moltres. The 'Dex entries state it dips into volcanoes to heal itself. Moltres has 90 base speed which is okay and leaves something to be desired, but the 125 base special attack is very appealing. While a Choice Scarf would be best (Something like Eruption, Air Slash, Hidden Power Grass, Fire Blast/U-turn) a set with Roost to replenish its HP to use Eruption again might have mixed results. I think Moltres having the move makes more sense than Torkoal does.

For a real life situation, I guess as a countermeasure against floods or tidal weaves. The heat from the move would cause evaporation to lessen the water, and the rocks would help to form a wall of defence against the waves. Whether that would work out as simply as that (or have some nasty reprecussions) is something I don't know.
    Doesn't Torkoal have a volcano-like shell though?

Starters of choice.

Blog Entries

I can't think of a volcano with that sort of shape, nor with the numerous holes. Even then it seems to be based on a furnace powered by coal.

Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    I can't think of a volcano with that sort of shape, nor with the numerous holes. Even then it seems to be based on a furnace powered by coal.
    Well, I wasn't going to try and argue that it was shaped as such, just that it seemed loosely based on the volcano. But the furnace idea seems to fit him better... maybe that's why he has to learn it through breeding, unlike the others? He doesn't fit quite as well?

Starters of choice.

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

This reminds me of a comic from PokeSho. Basically, Eruption could be used for the purpose of excretion too!

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)