(Click picture to go to the Bulbapedia page)
In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Poison Gas is chosen.
This week, we touch on a classic status move introduced in Generation 1. It have been around for a long time, but I don't blame you if you didn't hear of this move, because not many Pokémon learns it, and the majority of them are Poison-types (of course). So, this move has a simple effect, which is to cast Poison status on the opponent(s). Even though Koffing and Poison Gas are closely related (having similar names with one another in Japanese), it isn't until Generation 2 that Koffing could learn it.
This is one of the improved moves, believe it or not, gaining accuracy from 55% to 80% and hitting multiple opponents in Doubles in Generation 5, so it's a move to consider if you are battling three opponents. Interestingly, this means Poison Gas is now a variation of Dark Void, having a similar effect of casting status, same accuracy and area of effect. Maybe in Horde Battles, doing this to all five of them would come in handy too.
Here's the in-game description of this move:
Here are the usual possible questions about this move:Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
- How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move? What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
- How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
- Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
- How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?
Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
- A similar move is Smog, which also poisons the opponent. Besides being an attack, how is this move different from Poison Gas?
- Drowzee and Hypno learns this move, despite not being Poison-types. How could they execute this move, and what purpose does it have for them?
Here are the current users of this move:
Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!
~ The General Pokémon Forum Staff
Next Move-of-the-Week: Without a burden, this attack becomes more effective.