Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Enzap
  • 1 Post By BadAssGardevoir
  • 1 Post By Zeb

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #46: Perish Song

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #46: Perish Song

(Click picture to go to the Bulbapedia page)

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Perish Song is chosen.

Perish Song is a deadly melody, for it makes the user and everyone around faint just by listening to it (so Soundproof Pokémon are immune to its effect). The effect isn't instantaneous, as the effect only happens after three turns. This meant that the user could switch out before the time limit is reached, even though the opponent could do the same. Just remember that using Baton Pass won't avert the effects, so the recipient will faint when the time is up. The effect is more potent in Doubles or Triples, because if the opponent could no longer switch, this move acts as a checkmate, as long as you could live through what the opponent throws at you.

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
    Type: Normal (Status)
    Base Power: --
    Accuracy: --%
    PP: 5

Any Pokémon that hears this song faints in three turns, unless it switches out of battle.
    Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move? What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • What kind of melody does Perish Song have that makes it deadly to those who hear it?
    • This move would not affect any trainers or spectators. Why is that? What would happen if it does affect them as well?
    • In the context of real time, why is the effect delayed?
    • Why is the user also affected by their own song?

Here are the current users of this move (put in Spoiler tag due to the large list):

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

Next Week's Move Hint: A special attack that harms the heaviest the most.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #46: Perish Song

Why is the user also affected by their own song?

Because the user can also hear it.

This move would not affect any trainers or spectators. Why is that?

MAybe the song has a quality that can only affect Pokemon. It reminds me on why adults can't hear the eerieness of "Lavaridge Town music" while children can.

URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Parting Shot! Petalburg Woods Forums!

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I remember once in the PWT triple battle, I had my Altaria use Perish song when I made sure the opponent had only three pokemon left. Then I spammed Protect/Detect/Dive/Fly/Screens/Whatever to avoid any deadly KOs. I ended up winning with one pokemon left. It was pretty awesome.

I see Cubone and Marowak can learn it by breeding. Maybe the Cubone can learn Perish Song because they were cried themselves unconscious over their mother's body.

mostly just a recluse
    Blog Entries

perish song hasn't always been one of my favorite moves in the game: when i first used it in pokemon stadium 2, the sound effect the move had was absolutely harrowing in my opinion. however, i've since grown to like the move a lot. it's one of my favorite moves on celebi or politoed, even in the context of an offensive team. perish song gives you a means of passively dealing with reuniclus and other set-up sweepers you might not be capable of directly killing late in the game. perish song + u-turn also works very well in conjunction with spikes support; it places a surprising amount of pressure on teams since their most dangerous set-up sweeper or whatever is sometimes inhibited by the three-turn counter that perish song establishes, and u-turn is one of the five best moves in the game. it's obviously not fit for use on every team - undoubtedly, more offensive teams will generally benefit more from another move in that slot - but it's a very good situational move.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

This move seems most viable to me in combination with Mean Look, but I suppose it could be used in a similar way to Yawn, forcing the opponent to switch in the next couple of turns or lose a Pokemon. Unfortunately, switching is very common anyway so this is a risky strategy.

The concept behind the move is interesting. The user sings a magical yet morbid song that "kills" anyone who hears it. Maybe it's more like an incantation that casts a curse on those who hears it rather than injuring via the song itself.
    winstein likes this.

The Badassest Gardevoir BadAssGardevoir's Avatar

How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

I once built an entire (doubles) team around this move (before I EV trained.) It used Shadow tag, Arena trap and Whirlpool to trap the opponent(s) while Perish song does it's work.
    Yato likes this.
    Bulbagarden Battle leauge Fairy Gym Leader (THIS IMPLIES NOTHING!) and temporary Bug Gym leader.

Claims:Zorua, Naght daze and Stance change.

Zeb
    vital spirit. Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Concept-wise, Perish Song has always been one of my favourite moves. I just find it so intriguing and unique. I've always thought that it might draw some inspiration from the Sirens in Greek mythology, who would lure mariners to their deaths with their songs.

The Pokemon which learn the move mostly seem to either have some relation to sounds (music, singing, wailing, etc) with Jynx, Altaria, Kricketune, Misdreavus, Jigglypuff, Meloetta, but there's other such as Absol (which probably learns it due to its whole theme of future sight/foreboding and disasters/death) and Cubone (due to the crying I've always thought). Given the music/sound theme, I'm actually surprised Chatot doesn't learn it. Wailmer and Wailord would also be interesting learners of the move, due to whale songs/sounds being quite eerie and somber imo.

Not really sure about its use in the Pokemon world, since it seems like a weird thing for a wild Pokemon to do - slowly knock itself out. I guess it would be an extreme defense mechanism in dire situations for some of them. Given the siren song relationship I think might exist, I guess Perish Song might also be used to lure Pokemon/people. Or it could just be used for "fun" to curse things, since the Misdreavus line, Murkrow line and Gastly line like their mischief and causing trouble iirc.
    winstein likes this.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!