(Click picture to go to the Bulbapedia page)
In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Ally Switch is chosen.
Ally Switch is an interesting move introduced in Generation 5. In an era where Triple Battles were introduced, this move could prove useful in messing with the opponent. Since this move is used before the opponent use a normal move, it could prove useful in allowing a teammate on the field to take the hit, as well as manipulating your position. Remember that this move is usable in Doubles as well, where both Pokémon switch positions. An oddity with this move is that it won't execute if you are in the middle position in a Triple Battle. This move might be a TM, but oddly, not every Psychic-type could learn it, unlike Telekinesis, which a lot more Psychics could learn.
Here's the in-game description of this move:
Here are the usual possible questions about this move:Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
- How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move? What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
- How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
- Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
- How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?
Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
- What separates Psychics who could use this move and those who can't?
- This move acts first, acting at the same time as Quick Attack. What makes this move faster than the average move in execution?
- There is a move called Trick, which swaps the user's item with another. How is this move different from Ally Switch?
- As mentioned, the middle Pokémon will fail to execute this move, and thus, couldn't switch positions. Would it be ideal if the user could choose the ally to switch positions with?
- Is it possible to switch positions with another person at any time?
Here are the current users of this move:
- Kadabra & Alakazam
- Abra, Kadabra & Alakazam
- Natu & Xatu
- Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir & Gallade
- Baltoy & Claydol
- Elgyem & Beheeyem
Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!
~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff
Next Move-of-the-Week: A deadly melody.