Move-of-the-Week Discussion #4 - Pain Split

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #4 - Pain Split

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #4 - Pain Split

In Pokemon, there are a lot of different moves used by different Pokémon. However, there are certain moves we don't normally see being used, heard about, or used in a meaningful manner. In this type of discussion, we shall discuss the ins-and-outs of the move of the topic, and there will be some base questions that will help you. Every Saturday, a different move will be discussed.

This time, the Move-of-the-week is covering a more heard of move, Pain Split. What it does is average the HP between the user and target, which will either heal or hurt the user depending on whether the target's HP is higher or lower. Originally, this move had limited distribution (Misdreavus was the original learner), but when it was made a Move Tutor in HeartGold and SoulSilver, a lot more Pokémon could utilise this move.

• How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Realistically, would there be any advantage or disadvantage associated with using this move? If yes, what kind of advantage/disadvantage would they have when they use it?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in competitive battling, realistically and in video game terms?

Here are the current learners of this move (put in Spoiler since there are so many to list):

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The Pokemon World Forum Staff

Here's something new for all of you: For every five weeks, users get to vote for the next move to be the next Move-of-the-Week. However, you can't choose just any move. To narrow down the selection of potential moves, a criteria for the next move would be placed. If you want to vote, at least contribute to the topic in hand to give your post some substance (and also because this topic is about the current move, not about voting for the next move). If you posted just to vote, your vote won't be considered.

Criteria for next move: Fire-type (Check here for the list)

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #4 - Pain Split

I once encountered a misdreavous with eviolite and using substitute, pain split, curse on random matchup once and it ended up killing two of my mons. Pain splitters can be a nightmare if you are using slower stall mons. I have also used a foretress with pain split and it was fun outstalling blissey.

Another way is to use is a really low levelled foretress with pain split and sturdy. Get your rival to attack you and get foretress into sturdy range and use pain split to get to full health(since yours is a really low levelled forry) and again abuse sturdy.

Edit: I vote for Inferno.
    Last edited by Lord Clowncrete; 13th August 2012 at 03:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I once thought it was the same as Endeavor, but it's much better since it can actually heal you somewhat lol.
    If the your pokemon knows Pain Split but is weak, give it a Focus Sash, or Focus Band so it doesn't get OHKO'd. Then on your turn, use Pain Split. You'll be able to halve the opponent's HP even if they are overleveled :)

For next topic I vote

Blog Entries

I imagine deceptive Pokemon would use it to heal themselves and damage others since a lot of Ghost types learn it. It can be a great asset in battles of all kinds though.

My vote is for Will-o-wisp
    Last edited by Synthesis; 11th August 2012 at 07:22 AM.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pain Split is one move I've abused a lot.

The best users are pokémon with low HP and high enough defenses so they can survive at low life. (A real shame Shuckle doesn't learn it) To me, it has been the single best move to do damage ignoring defenses.

It probably is far more useful in-game than competitively, of course. Also given that in-game, you do run around with pokémon already in low health, so it works for healing yourself too.

A particularly odd use I gave it once too was using it to HEAL a legendary I just imposed myself that I needed to freeze.

For the next move... I will say Fire Spin. Sure, it's a classic and present in everyone's memory, but it doesn't seem like the usual strategy in comparision to all the burning and raw damage.

[/overexposition]

Visit IceShadow1199's Youtube Channel

Great move in my opinion, but bad players can kill their own pokemon using it.

Next move? I'm counting on Ice Beam :3
    I love Ice and Ghost pokemon! :P Feels cold and scary....

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

It seems that almost every Ghost-type learns it. I guess Ghosts have some sort of power that allows them to share their emotional pain with the others, because of the spectral nature. The only ones that doesn't are Shedinja, Golett and Golurk. Sableye doesn't learn it this Generation though. I imagine that it would be too good with Prankster, although that may not be true. Also, if Shedinja learns this move, it will be very good, mainly because it will always cut the opponent's HP in half, which is a phenomenal thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by IceShadow1199 View Post
    Next move? I'm counting on Ice Beam :3
    If you looked at that part about voting the next move, you will notice that the criteria for the next move is to be a Fire-type.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

I've never used it seriously. I've tried to use it, but it didn't work well.

Visit IceShadow1199's Youtube Channel

Okay then... Flamethrower? In my opinion, a cool move.
    I love Ice and Ghost pokemon! :P Feels cold and scary....

Blog Entries

The move is interesting, even if I don't use it. It would be best on a Pokemon that could take lots of hits, and then gain some HP back, and make the foe lose it.

I'm kinda surprised at some of the Pokemon that can learn this move, I understand how Ghost and Psychic Pokemon can learn it, but Tangrowth, Audino, and Stunfisk make less scene.

As for the next one, maybe you could you Fire Pledge? Or all three of the Pledge moves? I know that only one is fire type, but they are interesting.