Move-of-the-Week Discussion #35: U-Turn

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #35: U-Turn

Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #35: U-Turn

(Reminder: This week is voting week!)

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, U-turn is chosen.

(Click picture to go to the Bulbapedia page)

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
    Type: Bug (Physical)
    Base Power: 70
    Accuracy: 100%
    PP: 20

After making its attack, the user rushes back to switch places with a party Pokémon in waiting.
    Useful and widespread Bug-type attacks are in short supply prior to Generation 4, which was a relatively peaceful time for those weak to it. However, a few new moves were introduced, and U-turn is one of them. While it isn't the most powerful move, it is a useful one, because due to the way you attack after any switching occur, you basically get to see what the opponent switches into while you have the advantage of bringing in something with an advantageous matchup. Its Japanese name translates to Round-trip, just so you know.

Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • The users of this move are generally fast or are flying Pokémon. Why is that?
    • If this move were to be realistically used, would there be any physical tagging or tagging through Pokéballs automatically activating?
    • The choice of type of this move could be preplexing to certain people. Why is this move considered a Bug-type?
    • In a Single battle, this move is very useful. Would this be move be as useful in Doubles, Triples or Rotation?

Here are the current users of this move (put in Spoiler tag due to the large list):

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

For every four weeks, users get to vote for the next Move-of-the-Week. To narrow down the selection of potential moves, a criteria for the next move would be placed. If you want to vote, at least contribute to the topic in hand (because this topic is about the current move, not about voting for the next move). If you posted just to vote, your vote won't be considered.

Criterion for next move: Emerald Move Tutor (List below)

“Detachment does not consist in setting fire to one's house, or becoming bankrupt or throwing one's fortune out of the window, or even giving away all of one's possessions. Detachment consists in refraining from letting our possessions possess us.”

Bonus article: Ice-type Reviews - Generation 2 (Selected TCG Art) (01/12/2014)

Merry Chrithmath! VoltChen Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow VoltChen Magneton On Twitter Add VoltChen Magneton on Facebook

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #35: U-Turn

U-turn is known for the strategy "scouting", which is knowing the opponent, and to know which Pokemon should deal with it.

The Bug-typing is still a mystery for me, but I think there are real-world bugs that U-turns or something.

Vote:Metronome
    DAEHYUN: OH MY GOD YOUR KNEES'S SO LOW MY SHIP COULD BUTTER TEN GIRLS OH WOAH
    ~SEOHYUN~
    URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Parting Shot! Petalburg Woods Forums!

CottonSheepFairy 33Whimsicott33's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I could swear I also heard/saw an alternate translation of this move's Japanese name as "Dragonfly Commute," a reference for some kind of flight pattern a dragonfly is known for. In which case... there's your bug-type link right there.
    Oh?

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

could be because bugs can perform turns better than birds, they have more wings usually and are alot lighter and flexible so are fluid in their movements, possibly why its a bug move instead of flying

users of it are fast because they got to return to the trainer before the other pokemon can react, if there slow the other pokemon would have time to intercept with a thunderbolt or somthing.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

How it's useful in Doubles and Triples - since the U-Turn users are mostly fast pokemon, you can pair them with a pokemon that has a double attacking move like Surf or Earthquake. Then you can U-turn it first and send out a pokemon with Telepathy, Water Absorb, Levitate, etc etc. So yeah, like said above, it's for scouting. See what pokemons the opponent have, and switch out your pokemon - while dealing damage to a pokemon that MIGHT have Sturdy XDD

Vote: Metronome

Music is Fun! Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

In a "real" battle, I don't really imagine this move looking all that fancy. Maybe just quickly striking the opponent and then turning the other way to retreat. I think that many Flying types learn it is because a Pokemon should be fast and agile in order to escape from an opponent after attacking. This would be useful to wild Pokemon when they're fighting a stronger opponent. It would allow them to cripple it and escape at the same time.

gone...
    Blog Entries
    Add Zexy on Facebook
    Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

I personally love U-Turn ,because when it comes to competitive, I prefer offense over stalling. That is, U-Turn on fast Pokemon is a great way to send out a Pokemon with an advantage/a Pokemon capable of taking the next hit. I have 2 U-Turners in my regular OU Team (Scizor/Gliscor), and it works out quite nice.

One of my favourites, for sure. Since Gen V introduced another similar move (Volt Switch), I hope Gen VI will go with a third one, better than its predecessors.
    The War Room
    Random Messages

These two images are more than enough to describe all the fun I had in this forum all over the past year...
    BMGF, 2013-2014... I will never forget you.
    Just wait a little, I'll come back...

As a Bug Maniac, I have to say U-Turn is JUST MAGNIFICENT.

It is a wonderful scouting strategy, and used by a fast Bug like Yanmega, Ninjask or Scyther it not only gets the first hit in but also allows great damage, especially if your Bug has great Attack like Scyther does.

What it really reminds me of is how a real-life insect sometimes LAUNCHES itself at an object - like how flies and moths do - and then realize it halfway and 180-degree turn before zooming off.

Also important when you happen to be poorly matched against the opponent. For example, a Golem facing your Crobat. You were planning on having your Crobat sweep at least 2, but if the opponent throws a last-minute stunt at you U-Turn can just save the day.
    "I'm going to become a top-level Trainer who can't be outclassed with my beautiful and tough Bug Pokemon!"