Move-of-the-Week Discussion #33: Mirror Move

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #33: Mirror Move

Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #33: Mirror Move

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Mirror Move is chosen.

(Click picture to go to the Bulbapedia page)

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
    Type: Flying (Status)
    Base Power: --
    Accuracy: --%
    PP: 20

The user counters the target by mimicking the target's last move.
    Mirror Move made its debut since Generation 1, where it was once known as "Parrot Mimicry" before Chatot exists. As its name suggests, it is a move found mainly on birds. Basically, this move allows the user to retaliate the opponent with the same move they use, even if they cannot seem to use it (such as Sigilyph using Jump Kick in the example above). As long as the opponent doesn't escape first, you are able to copy what they used.

Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • If a move couldn't possibly be used by a bird, how would said move be executed?
    • Would it be possible for a Pokémon who cannot use a move normally to be able to use it independently after copying the move from the opponent, in the same way as Mimic or Copycat?

Here are the current users of this move:
    (Level-up)

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:
    “Detachment does not consist in setting fire to one's house, or becoming bankrupt or throwing one's fortune out of the window, or even giving away all of one's possessions. Detachment consists in refraining from letting our possessions possess us.”

Bonus article: Ice-type Reviews - Generation 2 (Selected TCG Art) (01/12/2014)

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #33: Mirror Move

Would it be possible for a Pokémon who cannot use a move normally to be able to use it independently after copying the move from the opponent, in the same way as Mimic or Copycat?
    I imagine Mirror Move to happen simultaneously. Mirrored moves can only happen when you're standing in front of a mirror. If there's nothing to mirror, then there's nothing to copy. Mirror-me needs to do exactly what I do for it to be called a Mirror Move. And thus, Mirror-me can't use a move if I'm not in front of the mirror.

gone...
    Blog Entries
    Add Zexy on Facebook
    Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

I still can't get why it's a Flying type move that Flying types learn. Mirrors, technically glass barriers, would fit more Psychics like Mr. Mime/Xatu.
    The War Room
    Random Messages

These two images are more than enough to describe all the fun I had in this forum all over the past year...
    BMGF, 2013-2014... I will never forget you.
    Just wait a little, I'll come back...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWartortle View Post
    I still can't get why it's a Flying type move that Flying types learn. Mirrors, technically glass barriers, would fit more Psychics like Mr. Mime/Xatu.
    The move has nothing to do with mirrors, the Japanese name is "Parrot Mimicry" which is also the reason why all the Pokemon that learn it are bird-like.

Mirror Move used to amuse my 9 year old self to no end by having my Pidgeot copy moves like Hi-Jump Kick and Mega Punch. Though it's always fun to copy something like Eathquake or Draco Meteor when the users themselves are weak to those moves.

gone...
    Blog Entries
    Add Zexy on Facebook
    Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWartortle View Post
    The move has nothing to do with mirrors, the Japanese name is "Parrot Mimicry" which is also the reason why all the Pokemon that learn it are bird-like.
    That is, they got a wrong choice with the English name. It's not my fault I got confused.

Anyway, I didn't ever like this move, mainly because it had its exclusive: "The Mirror Move failed!" message.
    The War Room
    Random Messages

These two images are more than enough to describe all the fun I had in this forum all over the past year...
    BMGF, 2013-2014... I will never forget you.
    Just wait a little, I'll come back...

Registered User BigBadButterfree's Avatar

I had always laughed at opponent NPCs who used mirror move against me and failed. The first time i really appreciated it was in my second playthrough of Ruby, where my Blaziken kicked Drake's butt by mirror-moving dragon claw over and over.