• 1 Post By JLomb
  • 1 Post By Infinity Mk-II
  • 1 Post By cityvillain
  • 3 Post By Infinity Mk-II

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #32: Coil

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #32: Coil

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Coil is chosen.

(Click picture to go to the Bulbapedia page)

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
    Type: Poison (Status)
    Base Power: --
    Accuracy: --
    PP: 20

The user coils up and concentrates. This raises its Attack and Defense stats as well as its accuracy.
    This move is chosen since it is the Year of the Snake this year, so what better way to celebrate it with a move that are for snakes? In Generation 5, a few new setup moves were introduced. Never before had there been a move that actively raised accuracy, or a move that actively raised three stats at once. Coil fits both criteria. This move is notably quite nice because it is like Bulk Up but better, and while it does have a few users, everyone of them are able to take advantage of it to its full extent.

Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • How doe coiling up the body raise Attack, Defence and Speed?
    • Realistically, does snakes gain an advantage by coiling up?

Here are the current users of this move:
    (Level-up)

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:
    "True loss is for him whose days have been spent in utter ignorance of his self."

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

Follow JLomb on Tumblr

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #32: Coil

Coil is a great move for a bulky Physical Serperior, especially when combined with Aqua Tail, a move that isn't 100% accuracy.
    Owain likes this.
    Boosh!

3DS FC: 3265-5253-3343

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To me the move works very simple: The user coils and prepares. Being coiled, it can use that posture to protect iself with the side of its body better (defense boost) and to impulse themselves with further strength for a better and deadlier attack (attack and precision boosts).

Dratini and Milotic could learn this move, as they are pretty much water snakes that can and do coil. Although it wouldn't really be useful for Milotic, Dratini could find some offensive use for it. (Namely an accurate Dragon Rush)
    That gives us the bulky Dragonite though... In any case, unlike its lower-evolution relatives, it could make good use of the defense boost as well. Not like it'll be outclassing Swords Dance nor Dragon Dance, anyways.

Onix and Gyarados would also be good users of this move.
    Last edited by Infinity Mk-II; 22nd February 2013 at 08:45 PM.
    winstein likes this.

[/overexposition]

Minion of the Damned cityvillain's Avatar

When a snake is threaten, they coiled up. It's an offensive & defensive stance.
    Owain likes this.
    Kenta's Pokemon Party

If an Elektross learned coil from its previous evolution, it could use coil to set up, and possibly sweep with thunder, zap cannon or iron tail.

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510 58209 74944 59230 78164....
    This is actually the line X + Y = 3.141

I'll always remember you~
    Blog Entries

(Oh gosh, Cheren's Serperior in BW would abuse this move. It got so annoying...)

I don't see how Dunsparce could learn Coil. Is it even a snake? It certainly doesn't look like one. I think Pokemon that are more "snakelike", like Onix, Steelix, Dratini, and Dragonair, should all be able to learn it.

I understand that a snake could raise attack and defense by coiling, but I don't understand accuracy. I would think it would be even more difficult to strike if the snake was coiled up.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadows View Post
    I don't see how Dunsparce could learn Coil. Is it even a snake? It certainly doesn't look like one.
    Technically the Tsuchinoko (what Dunsparce comes from) is a fat snake relative of sorts... however, its physiology and the way it moved was through vertical undulation and stretching, more similar to things like catterpillars, which allowed it to curl (and then roll) and to jump.

So it shouldn't be able to coil; it instead curls. According to myths, anyways.

I understand that a snake could raise attack and defense by coiling, but I don't understand accuracy. I would think it would be even more difficult to strike if the snake was coiled up.
    By positioning themselves that way, they can launch themselves to their target better, therefore having better "aim".
    Enzap, winstein and Owain like this.

[/overexposition]

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

Pretty much what has been said before, the user, having a snake-like body, coils up, being an offensive and defensive stance, being prepared to attack and all, plus, snakes are capable of delivering lightning-fast bites, so they do need an impressive aim, to take full advantage of that.

My Serperior sure loves her Coil, to help with her low starting attack, and boost her already good defense, not to mention the always handy accuracy boost.