Move-of-the-Week Discussion #3 - Soak

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By winstein

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #3 - Soak

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #3 - Soak

In Pokemon, there are a lot of different moves used by different Pokémon. However, there are certain moves we don't normally see being used, heard about, or used in a meaningful manner. In this type of discussion, we shall discuss the ins-and-outs of the move of the topic, and there will be some base questions that will help you. Every Saturday, a different move will be discussed.

This week, the move we will be focusing on is Soak, a move introduced in Generation 5 that transform the target into a Water-type by shooting a torrent of water at it, but it won't affect anything with a Water immunity. This move is mainly available on Water-types, which is naturally because this move is a Water-type. Here are the questions you could answer about this move:

• How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Realistically, would there be any advantage or disadvantage associated with using this move? If yes, what kind of advantage/disadvantage would they have when they use it?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in competitive battling, realistically and in video game terms?

Here are the current learners of this move:

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The Pokemon World Forum Staff

============

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:
    Last edited by winstein; 10th August 2012 at 10:51 PM.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #3 - Soak

Soak + Toxic is the best way to use this move in battling. Alomomola does it best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clowncrete View Post
    Soak + Toxic is the best way to use this move in battling. Alomomola does it best.
    I remember seeing Pelipper using this move to try and Soak my Amoonguss with it, so that he could use Toxic on it. Fortunately, I saw through his plan, because that means I get to shuffle between it and Alomomola (who was Toxic'd) to keep this going (thanks to Regenerator).

Another way is to use it on a wild Pokemon who is not a Water-type (or Bug-type) to make catching easier, because Net Ball's catch rate is high, and you don't need to wait 10 turns for Timer Ball to reach its full potential (or you just want a certain Pokemon in a Net Ball).

Thanks for reading.
    TeddiUrsa likes this.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I seem to remember using a combination of Seaking with Soak and Lightning Rod to make the opponents pokemon Water type then using Discharge, I think I used Zapdos for that. Anyway, you would set up Soak, then use Discharge, Discharge hits all but Seaking because he is protected by Lightning Rod. Don't remember how effective it was, but there ya go.
    seconds to forever

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

If you use Soak on Groudon, then it means it can get hit by Electric-attacks? That sounds pretty cool.

Blog Entries

Soak huh? Hoo boy, this'll be an interesting one for me to try and match a profession to. Its entirely up to speculation, but if this move actually granted you the power to swim or breath underwater just like a water type, it could help a lifeguard save a Pokemon from drowning. People would be another story though, I don't think it works that way.

Here's another interesting situation; Electric Pokemon exterminators. You know how some electric Pokemon like Magneton are widely considered as pests for sapping electricity in towns and cities? So suppose there is a Magneton swarm gobbling up electricity in a neighborhood or power plant. The local police/ exterminators or whatever they have show up with a squad of Pokemon with soak. They spray it on the Magneton and all of a sudden, they get hurt by the very electricity they are sapping and (hopefully) leave! The risky part is that your combating potentially dangerous electric Pokemon with water types. Therefore it would be best if the exterminators also brought their own electric or even grass types to assist the job. If only Whiscash knew this move...but still, how's that for a unique solution?
    Last edited by Bluelatios; 5th August 2012 at 09:13 PM.
    Our goal is to get The Pokemon Company International to return the voice actors from the dub by 4Kids. (seasons 1-8)
    If you're interested, please join us at Facebook and sign our petition!
    We're also open to considering passionate Pokemon fans as staff. Your help is valued; only together may we succeed!

Follow theRagingEwok On Twitter

Seems good in double battles with one water type and one electric type on your team. Deadly combo - I wish Gyrados could use it... :P

Blog Entries

You'd think that every water type would know the move.

I could also see this being used for firefighting - especially on harbors and stuff.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

I'm gone.
    Blog Entries

If you get a Pokemon with Soak and Hidden Power Grass, you'd have a great combo.

Blog Entries

I imagine that Soak is very good for swimmers, as it's like how swimmers take a soak in the shower before they swim, due to numerous factors like cleaning the body from germs. Other Pokemon who wants to swim would benefit from it too, because the resistance to water helps. For example, Aggron and Rhydon (they could learn Surf) would benefit from being a Water-type, to prevent them from being Water bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    You'd think that every water type would know the move.
    I'm actually glad that not every Water-type learns it. Do you have any idea how much better the already great Starmie would be if it learns it? With this move, it makes use of Thunderbolt or Thunder more fantastically and could use Rapid Spin more reliably. Perhaps it would benefit from a few extra users like Floatzek, Dewgong and Walrein, but certain users would be off-limits.

Thanks for reading.

Blog Entries

It's also worth noting that Soak will essentially drop an opponents attack power, due to them no longer getting STAB. Unless they're using a Water-type move.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Soak is an interesting move, but it's limited to the few selected Water types, who lack Grass/Electric moves in their belts. This'll work wonders for both Empoleon and Samurott, who have Grass Knot, during single battles. Otherwise, Soak is limited to Double and Triple battles, which are the least used battle styles in the standard competitive battle, so you could have a partner who know Grass or Electric moves to attack the opposing opponent after being hit by Soak.
    Last edited by Ghetsis-Dennis; 11th August 2012 at 12:30 PM.