Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Infinity Mk-II
  • 2 Post By Yato
  • 1 Post By Enzap

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #28: Guillotine

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #28: Guillotine

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Guillotine is chosen, based on last week's votes.

(Click picture to go to the Bulbapedia page)

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
    Type: Normal (Physical)
    Base Power: --
    Accuracy: --% (Accuracy is not constant)
    PP: 5

A vicious, tearing attack with big pincers. The target will faint instantly if this attack hits.
    Guillotine is one of the moves that causes an instant KO, no matter how much HP the opponent has, so it is rewarding if it hits. However, it's not easy for it to hit, as it has an accuracy issue. At the same level, it has a 30% hit rate, with an extra 1% for every level you have over the opponent's. This move does not work if you use it on a higher-levelled opponent, or if it's a Ghost-type (because Ghosts are immune to Normal) or a Pokémon with Sturdy. With such a devastating effect, it is little wonder this move is banned from competitive play. Besides these technical details, this move seems to have some kind of effect that off the opponent, probably their neck since that's where this move is usually targeted.

Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • Considering how this move is a One-Hit KO and it causes the opponent to faint, is it possible that this move could off the Pokémon in question by cutting its neck?
    • Is it legal to use this move to really chop off the opponent's Pokémon in a real battle? If not, what are the implications?
    • Why doesn't this move work on a higher-levelled Pokémon? What could the indication be if this move doesn't work because of that?

Here are the current users of this move:

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:
    "True loss is for him whose days have been spent in utter ignorance of his self."

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #28: Guillotine

This is easilly the most intimidating of those moves, as it gives you the image of, well, decapitation.
    Always liked it because of the sheer fear its name alone inspires. It's a move that you know instantly what it does.

Anyway, I always picture this move as chopping on the target's neck or other vital point. Not necessarialy a cut, though: rather it seems more aimed at pincers, although blade-like pincers work.
    It is obviously a very aggresive move, so I don't think it could have any use other than to chomp things in half. By its nature it probably doesn't work well on non-animate things.

It also could probably be fatal to a pokémon if abused badly. Probably pokémon can survive near-fatal wounds, like a violent attack even to vital points, but using it say, on an already "fainted" pokémon would surely kill it.
    Of course, it has low accuracy because as it targets vital points, more experienced pokémon will try better to dodge it.

One pokemon that I always wished could learn this move was Scyther (and therefore Scizor). Its blades are scythes, but it still fits the theme well (specially paired with the Grim Reaper concept of death wielding a scythe), and in Gen I it would've caused a pretty devastating pokémon.

Ninjask could know this attack too, as ninjas do vicious single attacks on vital points like this.
    Last edited by Infinity Mk-II; 25th January 2013 at 02:31 PM.
    winstein likes this.

[/overexposition]

Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

I just have the problem when it comes to Pokemon with no necks (like Seaking). I mean, where would the attack land?

But I think the great "healing machines" of Pokemon Centers have the ability of reconnecting amputated or decapitated body parts.

But I never saw any episodes of the anime that "features" Guillotine. Well, if it had, that would give the show a "Strict Parental Guidance" for the violence (you know, amputated heads).

URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!

Blog Entries

Visit Kira Akigari's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire Magneton View Post
    I just have the problem when it comes to Pokemon with no necks (like Seaking). I mean, where would the attack land?

But I think the great "healing machines" of Pokemon Centers have the ability of reconnecting amputated or decapitated body parts.

But I never saw any episodes of the anime that "features" Guillotine. Well, if it had, that would give the show a "Strict Parental Guidance" for the violence (you know, amputated heads).
    It has been shown
    On Ash and Paul's battle
    Paul's Gliscor used Guillotine on Gligar
    Gliscor's claw just shined then hitted Gligar
    No flying vital organs

Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kira Akigari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire Magneton View Post

It has been shown
    On Ash and Paul's battle
    Paul's Gliscor used Guillotine on Gligar
    Gliscor's claw just shined then hitted Gligar
    No flying vital organs
    Ah, I see.

Well, that means it's okay for the anime. But when it comes to real life, that would be violent.

---
    I was thinking:
    If a wild Pokemon was a victim of Guillotine, and if there were "flying vital organs", how would that Pokemon survive if no one would carry it to a near Pokemon Center?

URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I hadn't found this useful enough because of the level issues. By the time you can KO an opponent with a reasonable accuracy, then you're probably already overleveled enough to KO the opponent using other moves.

By the looks of all the users in the list, they have 'snapping' claws at some point of their evos. Or in the case of Haxorus or Bisharp, have sharp blades. I think pokemons with a form of blades should be able to learn it, like Gallade, Scyther, Absol, and Kabutops.

I think Mawile should be able to learn it as well - the big mouth on its head also snaps XDD Scizor would be an okay candidate.

And as for why it doesn't work on opponents that have higher levels than yours, I'm assuming because Guillotines were used to execute prisoners. However much powerful they were in the past - King/Queen or whatever - by the time they are executed, they are merely people who are at the mercy of the executioner. So naturally, the opponent should always have a 'lower-level'.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

I see the move being used more by "pinching" the opponent and possibly releasing a lethal energy in them through the claws. Maybe the move does have to hit in a specific spot, like the neck area, in order to be effective, hence the low accuracy. My theory on the issue of Pokemon with higher levels: The guillotine was used by governments to severely punished lower-members of society who have done wrong. Therefore, perhaps Pokemon with lower levels don't have the "authority" to use such a powerful and deadly move. They represent the lower class while Pokemon with high levels represent the higher powers.
    winstein likes this.

Blog Entries

Gallade should be able to learn it.

His arms are essentially swords, get a good chokehold on your opponent and slice their head off.

----------------

As for lethality,

In competition, it's probably more like a chokehold. In lethal battles, it's either strangling your opponent, breaking their neck or simply decapitating them.

It's basically like the moves in MMA. You can slap a rear naked choke on someone until they tap out for MMA. But if you're in a serious life or death situation, you keep the choke on them until they die.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Darkrai is unstoppable!!! Shadowlord XD's Avatar
    Add Shadowlord XD on Facebook
    Visit Shadowlord XD's Youtube Channel

yay, my voted move came out!

anyways, why was guillotine a normal type move? in my opinion i think it should be a fighting type move due to its powerfulness and brutalness. for why it is inaccurate is because it has to target the pokemon's weakest point a.k.a it's neck or head( if the pokemon is neckless). it can't damage a higher leveled pokemon as higher leveled ones can withstand the sheer force. if not, it can always avoid the attack.

scyther should obviosly learn it. i mean it has scythes that are ultra-sharp, so why can't scyther learn guillotine? same goes to gallade.

Creddit goes to Blue Dragon for this awesome sig. Request your own at http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f379/blue-dragons-art-shop-122227/