In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Guillotine is chosen, based on last week's votes.
(Click picture to go to the Bulbapedia page)
Guillotine is one of the moves that causes an instant KO, no matter how much HP the opponent has, so it is rewarding if it hits. However, it's not easy for it to hit, as it has an accuracy issue. At the same level, it has a 30% hit rate, with an extra 1% for every level you have over the opponent's. This move does not work if you use it on a higher-levelled opponent, or if it's a Ghost-type (because Ghosts are immune to Normal) or a Pokémon with Sturdy. With such a devastating effect, it is little wonder this move is banned from competitive play. Besides these technical details, this move seems to have some kind of effect that off the opponent, probably their neck since that's where this move is usually targeted.Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
- How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
- What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
- How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
- Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
- How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?
Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
- Considering how this move is a One-Hit KO and it causes the opponent to faint, is it possible that this move could off the Pokémon in question by cutting its neck?
- Is it legal to use this move to really chop off the opponent's Pokémon in a real battle? If not, what are the implications?
- Why doesn't this move work on a higher-levelled Pokémon? What could the indication be if this move doesn't work because of that?
Here are the current users of this move:
- Krabby & Kingler
- Gligar & Gliscor
- Corphish & Crawdaunt
- Axew, Fraxure & Haxorus
- Pawniard & Bisharp
Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!
~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff