Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Enzap
  • 2 Post By Winterdaze

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #27: Focus Blast

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #27: Focus Blast

(Just a note: This week is voting week)

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Focus Blast is chosen.

(Click picture to go to the Bulbapedia page)

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
    Type: Fighting (Special)
    Base Power: 120
    Accuracy: 70%
    PP: 5

The user heightens its mental focus and unleashes its power. It may also lower the target’s Sp. Def.
    Generation 4's Physical and Special split result in the introduction of several attacks to give certain types a combination. Focus Blast is a result of not having Special Fighting moves. As far as power and usefulness go, Focus Blast is one of the best, for its ability to complement type coverages. However, it is also inaccurate enough to be reliable. As far as learners go, most users possess hands to shoot the blast, and the main learners are fully-evolved Pokémon.

Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be useful in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • What qualities does a Pokémon who could still evolve have to be able to learn it? (eg: Golett, Machop, Vigoroth)
    • Some attacks have reliable accuracy. However, this move is not really accurate (70%). Why do you think this is the case?
    • Must the user be fully concentrated for this move to work?
    • Is it possible for a Pokémon to fully master this move? (As in, they could reliably hit the opponent all the time, with full power.)

Here are the current users of this move (put in Spoiler tag due to the large learner list)]:

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

[Note: On every third move out of a cycle of four, add this part.]

For every four weeks, users get to vote for the next Move-of-the-Week. To narrow down the selection of potential moves, a criteria for the next move would be placed. If you want to vote, at least contribute to the topic in hand, to give your post some substance (and also because this topic is about the current move, not about voting for the next move). If you posted just to vote, your vote won't be considered.

Criterion for next move: Move (in English) that begins with "G" ( @PkmnGreen; is promoted to Forum Head not long ago.)

• Gastro Acid
    • Gear Grind
    • Giga Drain
    • Giga Impact
    • Glaciate
    • Glare
    • Grass Knot
    • Grass Pledge
    • GrassWhistle
    • Growth
    • Grudge
    • Guard Split
    • Guard Swap
    • Guillotine
    • Gunk Shot
    • Gust
    • Gyro Ball
    "True loss is for him whose days have been spent in utter ignorance of his self."

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #27: Focus Blast

I think this is more powerful version of Aura Sphere.

Must the user be fully concentrated for this move to work?
    yes, because it is hard to make a ball of energy if you are not suited to it.

Some attacks have reliable accuracy. However, this move is not really accurate (70%). Why do you think this is the case?
    Because one must truly concentrate to focus energy into a ball, then release it to your enemy.

Vote: GrassWhistle
    Last edited by Voltaire Magneton; 18th January 2013 at 07:43 PM.

URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

I haven't participated in this in a while.

Ok, first of all, I have a few personal problems with the move Focus Blast. I like its concept, but I never actually use it in battles due to the low accuracy. Also, I hate how its presented in the anime. In the games, it's always been a giant sphere of orangy-red energy. However, they took the lazy route in the anime and made it into another boring blue ball like Water Pulse and Aura Sphere. They should have shown something to set it apart.

And now that that's out of my system...

The majority of the Pokemon that learn this move are either fighting types or bipedal (or at least armed), fully-evolved Pokemon. This means that the energy used for this attack is probably focused through the user's arms, as it's shown in the anime. I'd say that smaller, not-fully-evolved Pokemon don't learn this move as often because they simply don't have the power and experience to use it.

Other than Game Freak trying to balance powerful moves, I'd say that Focus Blast is so inaccurate because it would take a moment to "charge up" such a strong move, and then it would likely not have much control once released due to its overwhelming nature.

It's a common theory that Focus Blast is just a powered up Aura Sphere, but I believe that they are very different moves. Aura Sphere is, as the name implies, composed of aura. This aura is a very pure and generally non-threatening force that resides in all life forms, but only a few Pokemon can freely manipulate it. If a Pokemon has this gift, then they have absolute control over it even after they attack, hence the perfect accuracy of Aura Sphere. I see Focus Blast as more of a manifestation of determination and strength into an all-out attack. The two different types of energy used to power these moves sets them apart in battle and gives them their distinct colors.

I vote Guillotine.
    Blue Dragon and winstein like this.

You mean the move Focus Miss, oh now I see.

How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    They concentrate their energy into a ball and then release abruptly.

What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    None so ever. It is strictly for fighting.

How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    It wouldn't. The only plausible reason to use this move is to show off how well Pokemon concentrate.

Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally?
    None that I kind think of.

How would this move be useful in battling, realistically or video game-wise?
    This move is almost a staple. Without this move, Pokemon like Alakazam could not hit Dark Types. Any Special Sweeper would like to have special fighting coverage on opponents. However the shaky accuracy prevents it from becoming a staple. However, any special sweeper who has access to it would use it.

I vote Growth.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Ah Focus Blast, a necessary evil if there ever was one. Without it many special attackers would be walled by Steel types, but there are times when it feels like the frustration just isn't worth it. If you ever find yourself having to land two consecutive Focus Blasts to 2HKO an opponent, weep.

The Japanese name "Kiai Bullet" suggests that to use the move, the Pokemon must be able to harness it's "fighting spirit". Also, with the exception of the Musketeer quartet all Pokemon that can learn Focus Blast have free arms, so I'm guessing the Pokemon usually focuses their fighting spirit between their hands. I suspect the move may be somewhat related to Aura Sphere, which is precise and requires the ability to control aura. Perhaps "fighting spirit" is a kind of latent aura that many Pokemon have that can be focused into an attack similar to Aura Sphere, albeit more unpredictable and unrefined.

I'll vote for Gunk Shot
    Last edited by Winterdaze; 18th January 2013 at 10:15 PM.
    Enzap and winstein like this.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I honestly don't like this move because for some reason, all the opponents I met using Focus Blast always seem to land on my dear pokemons without missing ;_; 120 power really hurts. Yet for some reason, it always seem to miss when I use it.. XDD

Anyways, this move seems to be a countermeasure originally made for Psychic types. Since Psychic type moves have no effect on Dark, it would be crucial for them to learn one Fighting-type move - and a powerful one at that. Aura Sphere would've made them overpowered, so I guess they're stuck with Focus Blast.

vote: Growth

Blog Entries

First time I've partaken in this type of discussion, but I thought I'd try it.

Focus Blast can be a mixed bag for me. While at times, it is very useful. 120 base power is nothing to sneeze at. And it allows most Psychic-types to bypass the problems they have with Dark-types, since Signal Beam is another option, but much more limited in how its distributed. I like Focus Blast, as it does seem like a more common variation on Aura Sphere, but the 70% accuracy is a bit shaky at time, even with something like a Wide Lens or Zoom Lens.

I feel the lower accuracy is to balance it out due to its higher power (after all, so far, the only moves that have 100 base power or higher with no drawbacks are Earthquake and Judgement, not including a full-powered Magnitude). Sometimes, though, that 70% accuracy seems too unreliable, so it prevents it from being a massive staple in most movepools. But, if one is lucky enough, then it can be a brutal attack, especially since, as a Fighting-type move, it can smack five different types with major damage. And for special hitters like Alakazam, Gardevoir, and Infernape (okay, the last one is more of a mixed hitter, but you get my drift), it can be a valuable weapon, since moves like Signal Beam are more limited in distribution. So if one is willing to deal with the lower accuracy, and a bit of luck thrown in, it can be a very valuable move to deal some impressive damage.

As for the concept of Focus Blast, it seems to embody more of a fighting spirit of the Pokemon vs. what Aura Sphere is; Aura. Both are different forms of energy. While Aura Sphere is far more useful, thanks to its fairly high power, perfect accuracy, and range of effect, Focus Blast can be a substitute, as it embodies the Pokemon's will and spirit. Since most Pokemon who can learn this move are full-evolved, it only makes sense, as they've had more experience in battle, thus have gained a stronger fighting spirit as time went on. So Focus Blast seems like a good move to those who have battle long and hard to reach the level they are currently standing at. Again, a bit shaky on the accuracy (which mysteriously seems perfect when the opponent uses it), but a worthwhile move in the long run.

I vote for Giga Impact.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Darkrai is unstoppable!!! Shadowlord XD's Avatar
    Add Shadowlord XD on Facebook
    Visit Shadowlord XD's Youtube Channel

so i haven't played any gen 4 and 5 games, but judging by its stats and all, i think its a quite decent move.

for how a pokemon uses its move, it concentrates its fighting spirit between its arms to create an energy ball then shoots it towards the enemy. weaker pokemon can't use this move as their not powerful enough to be able to withstand the sheer force. about its accuracy, a pokemon using focus blast don't have much strength left to be able to shoot focus blast accurately. its purpose in the game is to mainly give special attackers a fighting chance against dark and steel type pokemon.

i vote for guillotine

Creddit goes to Blue Dragon for this awesome sig. Request your own at http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f379/blue-dragons-art-shop-122227/