Move-of-the-Week Discussion #25: Water Sport

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UltimateOshowatt

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #25: Water Sport

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #25: Water Sport

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. However, there are certain moves we don't normally see being used, heard about, or used in a meaningful manner. On the other hand, there are moves that are famous or used often. In this type of discussion, we shall discuss the ins-and-outs of the move of the topic, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. Every week, a different move will be the centre of discussion.

(Click picture to go to the Bulbapedia page)

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
    Type: Water (Status)
    Accuracy: --%
    PP: 15

The user soaks itself with water. The move weakens Fire-type moves while the user is in the battle.
    This is a cool move that was introduced in Generation 3. However, by "cool", I meant cooling down, because this move reduces the power of Fire-type moves, so that the user doesn't get too hot. Besides that, this move will reduce any Fire attack to one-third of damage this Generation unlike the past Generations, which reduced it to only half damage (so the damage reduction increased). This means that, in rain, a Fire attack will do one-sixth of damage!

Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Realistically, would there be any advantage or disadvantage associated with using this move? If yes, what kind of advantage/disadvantage would the user have when they use it?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • How is this move different from another other water attack that splashes the field (such as, say, Surf and Muddy Water)?
    • Considering how Mud Sport is learned by a fair share of Water-types, should more Grass-types get this move?

Here are the current users of this move (put in Spoiler tag due to a large learner list):

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #25: Water Sport

Don't care for this move much, although it may be good on Bedew. But Mud Sport-why weaken Electric type attacks if you're already imune to them?
    Yato likes this.

Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

It would be something like dew in Grass-types. But when it comes to Water-types, skin moisturizer, maybe?

It is logical type-wise, but not strategically illogical.

URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

The move seems almost like a self-targeted version of Soak, in that it works by the user drenching themselves in water. The Japanese name Water Game makes me think of games kids play with the hose, like running through the sprinkler. Maybe that's what the Pokemon does too, except by creating its own water. In any case, it would be a great move for any Pokemon to have on a hot summer's day.

The problem with Water Sport is that it's far too situational to justify taking up a moveslot, even in-game, and the effect can't be passed to a teammate. Perhaps if it had an additional side effect such as raising Special Defence, it might be of more use.

CottonSheepFairy 33Whimsicott33's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This move can aid the RS Pokemon contest profession by being a totally broken combination with Mud Sport. To "play in the water" definitely qualifies the description of "cute".
    Oh?

Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by 33Whimsicott33 View Post
    This move can aid the RS Pokemon contest profession by being a totally broken combination with Mud Sport. To "play in the water" definitely qualifies the description of "cute".
    With that opinion, I think Water Sport has uses contest-wise. But contests are like side-objectives, therefore, not much usable.

URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!

Follow Season On Twitter Add Season on Facebook

This has no beneficial use in my eyes, whenever my Pokemon wants to learn a new move this is the one that always gets replaced. It may be handy in some situations but I've never found it to be useful.

Blog Entries

I'm guessing firefighting or fire prevention might be good uses.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I never used Water Sport cuz most of the pokemons that can learn it are Water-types... and Fire doesn't do much damage to them in the first place. I really don't understand why Pokemons like Marill could learn it when they are a WATER-TYPE pokemon, have THICK FAT as their ability, and therefore Fire attacks don't can't even scratch them if it even RAINS.

Though, I do agree that more Grass-types should learn it as one of their countermeasures against Fire-types. I think it would make sense of Pokemons like Victreebel could learn Water Sport because the pitcher plant it is based on always have liquid inside (I know it's acidic, but it is liquid anyways), and it could be spitting it out for defense against Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    I never used Water Sport cuz most of the pokemons that can learn it are Water-types... and Fire doesn't do much damage to them in the first place. I really don't understand why Pokemons like Marill could learn it when they are a WATER-TYPE pokemon, have THICK FAT as their ability, and therefore Fire attacks don't can't even scratch them if it even RAINS.

Though, I do agree that more Grass-types should learn it as one of their countermeasures against Fire-types. I think it would make sense of Pokemons like Victreebel could learn Water Sport because the pitcher plant it is based on always have liquid inside (I know it's acidic, but it is liquid anyways), and it could be spitting it out for defense against Fire.
    To be fair its kind of amusing to fight a fire type will a marill and use water sport then just laugh at their useless attacks.