Move-of-the-Week Discussion #23: Growl

Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Yato
  • 1 Post By Voltaire Magneton
  • 1 Post By The Togekiss
  • 1 Post By Winterdaze
  • 1 Post By SirOni
  • 1 Post By SirOni
  • 1 Post By Sequined Sirenia

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #23: Growl

  1. #1
    Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,194
    Blog Entries
    173

    Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #23: Growl

    (Just a note: This week is voting week)


    In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. However, there are certain moves we don't normally see being used, heard about, or used in a meaningful manner. On the other hand, there are moves that are famous or used often. In this type of discussion, we shall discuss the ins-and-outs of the move of the topic, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. Every week, a different move will be the centre of discussion.


    (Click picture to go to the Bulbapedia page)


    Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
    Type: Normal (Status)
    Accuracy: 100%
    PP: 40

    The user growls in an endearing way, making the opposing team less wary. The foes' Attack stats are lowered.
    Introduced in Generation 1, Growl is one of the earliest moves the player will see, since it is learned by two of the starter Pokémon. It's a good introduction to moves that don't do damage, but will do something that favours the player. As an early-game move, it's good to use early-game to aid a teammate in surviving an attack. Interestingly, when this move is used, the sound is the user's cry, so if Bulbasaur used it, it will be Bulbasaur's cry. While it would seem like a weak move, it does have a use in Doubles later on: the ability to affect both opponents.

    Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Realistically, would there be any advantage or disadvantage associated with using this move? If yes, what kind of advantage/disadvantage would the user have when they use it?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?


    Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • Why is it when a Pokémon cries (as in, this move is used), the opponent's attack is lowered?
    • Considering how every Pokémon could cry, why is it that not every Pokémon could learn this move?


    Here are the current users of this move (put in Spoiler tag due to the large list):


    Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

    ~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff


    Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:





    For every four weeks (from now on), users get to vote for the next move to be the next Move-of-the-Week. However, you can't choose just any move. To narrow down the selection of potential moves, a criteria for the next move would be placed. If you want to vote, at least contribute to the topic in hand to give your post some substance (and also because this topic is about the current move, not about voting for the next move). If you posted just to vote, your vote won't be considered.

    One more thing: if a move is already covered in a past Move-of-the-Week, then it won't be considered, so make sure to check the list to see if the move you wish to vote had already been covered.

    Criterion for next move: Ice-type or Fire-type(Check here (for the list)
    Last edited by winstein; 16th January 2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Wrong Move-of-the-Weeks list
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

    Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

  2. #2
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,663
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #23: Growl

    First, here's my vote: Fiery Dance XDD I think we should do this awesome signature move.

    As for Growl... I always thought it was for the pokemons to try look intimidating, like, how dogs in real life growl at strangers or territory invaders? I guess Intimidate took care of that but in the early part of games where you don't want the opponent to hit you strongly it could be useful...

    ...or not. Personally, I rarely used it. You could easily use a damaging move instead of using Growl and still win all the same. To me, Growl was somewhat a waste... not total waste like Splash, but maybe around the 'rarely used' criteria?

  3. #3
    Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    808
    Blog Entries
    42
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

    Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #23: Growl

    For me, Growl has a concept of "having pity over a cute being",. Who would like to attack a terribly cute Pokemon?

    Vote: Icy Wind
    winstein likes this.

    URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!

  4. #4
    Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,194
    Blog Entries
    173

    Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #23: Growl

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    As for Growl... I always thought it was for the pokemons to try look intimidating, like, how dogs in real life growl at strangers or territory invaders? I guess Intimidate took care of that but in the early part of games where you don't want the opponent to hit you strongly it could be useful...

    ...or not. Personally, I rarely used it. You could easily use a damaging move instead of using Growl and still win all the same. To me, Growl was somewhat a waste... not total waste like Splash, but maybe around the 'rarely used' criteria?
    Well, Growl seems to be a kind of move that cause the user to "beg for mercy" from the opponent, making them less strong. It's the opposite of Intimidate, which scares the opponent. Generally, Growl is found on cuter Pokemon, while Intimidate is found on fearsome ones. Would you say a Clefairy growls to appear intimidating?

    As for usage, Growl may be rarely-used, but one theory I have with this move is to use it is if the user can't use that Pokemon beat the opponent (in-game), so they use Growl to allow another teammate to fare better against them (because they don't switch Pokemon unless that's their only choice). Another is in Doubles or Triples, because this move hits more than one opponent at a time. Liepard is the only one with priority Growl, so it may be useful like this, but considering how Liepard is not quite sturdy itself, this move may not see much use in Doubles after all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harv13 View Post
    For me, Growl has a concept of "having pity over a cute being",. Who would like to attack a terribly cute Pokemon?
    It would be funny if a not-quite-cute Pokemon Growled at the opponent. It's true that each of the Pokemon in the list are cute in their own way, but since some of them evolve into something less cute like Charizard, it would seem out of place to have pity over something intimidating.

    Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

    Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

  5. #5
    Arms... like... nooodles! The Togekiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Stuck inside my head.
    Posts
    706
    Blog Entries
    32

    Follow The Togekiss on Tumblr

    Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #23: Growl

    I personally was never very fond of this move,and it would be one of the first moves I would delete. And it's completely useless on a Special Attack. Anyways...
    How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    They probably would scrunch up their face and growl like a dog would. I noticed that every Pokemon on the list seems to be capable of doing so. Except for Elgyem and Beheeyem, maybe they let out an intimidating series of beeps?

    Realistically, would there be any advantage or disadvantage associated with using this move? If yes, what kind of advantage/disadvantage would the user have when they use it?
    Advantage:Opponent is a physical attacker, USE GROWL!
    Disadvantage:Opponent is a special attacker, DON'T USE GROWL! Also,the opponent could just switch out and make the attack useless.

    Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    I figure it would be possible for any dog-like Pokemon to be capable of learning this move,such as Zorua/Zoroark,Snubull/Granbull,Rilolu/Lucario,ect. Maybe every dragon type could be capable of learning Growl.

    Considering how every Pokémon could cry, why is it that not every Pokémon could learn this move?
    I think it's because they wouldn't need to. I noticed that almost every single Pokemon on the list could be considered weak,or can be obtained easily or early on in the game. Perhaps the reason why a Pokemon such as Zorua or Growlithe can't learn Growl is because they wouldn't need to, since they are rarer and considered to be stronger Pokemon. However, I noticed that Lapras learns growl, and it's a rarer,stronger Pokemon that doesn't seem like the type that would growl. But aren't younger Lapras weak(like in the anime),or weak when not in a pack? In conclusion,I think Pokemon gain the ability to use growl when necessary, usually due to being weak at some point in their lifetime.

    Thank you for reading.
    winstein likes this.



    My deviantArt account... http://thetogekiss.deviantart.com/
    Claimed: Togekiss (yay!) ,Oblivious, Pokeradar,and Razor Fang! July 8th, 2012, Air Slash July 20th, 2012



  6. #6
    You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,566
    Blog Entries
    27

    Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

    Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #23: Growl

    The Japanese name for Growl is Cry (as in, to cry out) which certainly sounds more like a means of endearing or distracting the opponent rather than intimidation.

    It's definitely one of the most annoying moves early in the game, where it can drag out battles for a long time. It's quite useful though for crippling a Gym Leader's ace Pokemon with one Pokemon so another can finish them off, especially if the former Pokemon is ineffective against them.

    I'll vote for Inferno.
    Last edited by Winterdaze; 22nd December 2012 at 03:07 AM.
    winstein likes this.

  7. #7
    Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    808
    Blog Entries
    42
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

    Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #23: Growl

    Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Harv13 View Post
    For me, Growl has a concept of "having pity over a cute being",. Who would like to attack a terribly cute Pokemon?
    It would be funny if a not-quite-cute Pokemon Growled at the opponent. It's true that each of the Pokemon in the list are cute in their own way, but since some of them evolve into something less cute like Charizard, it would seem out of place to have pity over something intimidating.

    Thanks for reading.
    I think the developers did not "considered" the people who are skilled with Growl.

    But cuteness depends on a person. I personally think Flygon is cute. So Pokemon like Charizard could be considered as cute by others.

    URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!

  8. #8
    Somalian Anarchy Leader! Please Understand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Truly Free State of Somalia
    Posts
    1,254
    Blog Entries
    543

    Follow Please Understand on Tumblr Visit Please Understand's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #23: Growl

    In the early game, Growl is a move that can be useless or not, but sometimes, it drags a battle for a while. After the second gym badge, Growl is as useless as Splash.

    Vote: Blizzard
    Why are you looking here? There is nothing here.

  9. #9
    Nice weather we're having SirOni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #23: Growl

    Because it is just about always at the front of movesets I see Growl as a move only young Pokemon use for defense. Growling from such a young and probably cute adversary can intimidate other young Pokemon and bring out sympathy from stronger older Pokemon. I also see Growl as a move just for the young because it is without a doubt one of the first moves to be forgotten as the Pokemon grows. Maybe a higher leveled and higher stage Pokemon who still have Growl can be called childlike or immature?

    I vote for Frost Breath.
    winstein likes this.
    Caro: 0774-4484-9102


    IGN: Antonio

    URPG:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f401/cerony-urpg-66373/

  10. #10
    Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,194
    Blog Entries
    173

    Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #23: Growl

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerony View Post
    Because it is just about always at the front of movesets I see Growl as a move only young Pokemon use for defense. Growling from such a young and probably cute adversary can intimidate other young Pokemon and bring out sympathy from stronger older Pokemon. I also see Growl as a move just for the young because it is without a doubt one of the first moves to be forgotten as the Pokemon grows. Maybe a higher leveled and higher stage Pokemon who still have Growl can be called childlike or immature?
    That would likely be the case, since every Pokemon (except Eevee) learns this move very early on. In fact, in contests, Growl is classified as a Cute move. The weird thing is that in Generation 1 when this move was introduced, some of the users learn this move quite late, such as Chansey and Seel. Would you say that this is because they were introduced at higher levels, so the designers put said move at a higher level to accommodate that?

    Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

    Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

  11. #11
    Nice weather we're having SirOni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #23: Growl

    Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerony View Post
    Because it is just about always at the front of movesets I see Growl as a move only young Pokemon use for defense. Growling from such a young and probably cute adversary can intimidate other young Pokemon and bring out sympathy from stronger older Pokemon. I also see Growl as a move just for the young because it is without a doubt one of the first moves to be forgotten as the Pokemon grows. Maybe a higher leveled and higher stage Pokemon who still have Growl can be called childlike or immature?
    That would likely be the case, since every Pokemon (except Eevee) learns this move very early on. In fact, in contests, Growl is classified as a Cute move. The weird thing is that in Generation 1 when this move was introduced, some of the users learn this move quite late, such as Chansey and Seel. Would you say that this is because they were introduced at higher levels, so the designers put said move at a higher level to accommodate that?

    Thanks for reading.
    I agree that these Pokemon have Growl so late to accommodate for the higher levels at which they are encountered.
    winstein likes this.
    Caro: 0774-4484-9102


    IGN: Antonio

    URPG:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?t=66373

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Transgender
    Location
    Sea of diamonds
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #23: Growl

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    The Japanese name for Growl is Cry (as in, to cry out) which certainly sounds more like a means of endearing or distracting the opponent rather than intimidation.
    I was about to look this up! I was playing my Diamond and everybody seemed to be using Growl at that point in the game, and everything about the move just screams 'Cry Out' instead of 'grrrr I'm growling'. I guess it's another slightly-butchered translation from Gen I.

    I generally like these useless-later-on moves, since they can be useful at the very beginning - and that's when most Pokémon learn this. Obviously Growl is not Stealth Rock or Earthquake, but what would the game be if nobody learned these Growls and Absorbs? My inner troll would also find glee in, say, Lapras learning Growl at level 78, but I might be the only one with this opinion.

    I do hope, though, that some of the new Starters would be Special Attack -oriented from the start, so that they would learn a Special Attack 'Tackle' (we could call it "Tiny Sphere" and it would be a small zap of energy. Cute!) and a Special Attack -lowering Growl (do we have one already?)

    Also, for some reason, I'm intrigued by Nidoran♀ having Growl as its first move. Usually it's the second listed move on Pokémon's move sets.

    My vote would be for Aurora Beam or Frost Breath.
    winstein likes this.

  13. #13
    Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,194
    Blog Entries
    173

    Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #23: Growl

    Quote Originally Posted by Sequined Sirenia View Post
    I do hope, though, that some of the new Starters would be Special Attack -oriented from the start, so that they would learn a Special Attack 'Tackle' (we could call it "Tiny Sphere" and it would be a small zap of energy. Cute!) and a Special Attack -lowering Growl (do we have one already?)
    The closest we have to a Special Attack-lowering Growl are Struggle Bug and Snarl. The former is a Bug-type move and the latter is Dark-type. It's not the exact same thing because they do damage. In fact, Snarl is the closest to a Special counterpart because of its similarity to Growl's execution.

    Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

    Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

  14. #14
    Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    808
    Blog Entries
    42
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

    Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #23: Growl

    I forgot to mention that Growl can affect more than one Pokemon in PMD. it can affect the whole room. Well that makes Growl a sense, somehow.

    URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •