• 1 Post By The Froakster
  • 1 Post By winstein
  • 1 Post By SirOni

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #22: Follow Me

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #22: Follow Me

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. However, there are certain moves we don't normally see being used, heard about, or used in a meaningful manner. On the other hand, there are moves we see that are famous or used often. In this type of discussion, we shall discuss the ins-and-outs of the move of the topic, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. Every Saturday, a different move will be the centre of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
    Type:Normal (Status)
    Base Power: -
    Accuracy: -
    PP: 20

The user draws attention to itself, making all targets take aim only at the user.
    Greetings travellers, this week we’ll be looking at Follow Me, a move that forces all opponents in Double and Triple battles to target the user. Follow Me was introduced in Gen III as part of a plethora of new moves designed for the then newly implemented Double Battles. Something to consider about the move is its Japanese name; Stay With This Finger, which suggests the move involves some kind of trick to draw attention to the user. Got any thoughts or ideas about this move? Share them here!

Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Realistically, would there be any advantage or disadvantage associated with using this move? If yes, what kind of advantage/disadvantage would they have when they use it?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • What do the Pokemon that are capable of learning this move have in common?
    • Would this move work on people? If so, how would that be useful?
    • Could Follow Me be changed to have an effect in single battles? If so, what?
    • How does Follow Me differ from Metronome, another finger wagging move?

Here are the current users of this move:

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

My Shinx knows Outrage :P CraZy ShinX's Avatar
    Add CraZy ShinX on Facebook
    Visit CraZy ShinX's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #22: Follow Me

that move was a pain in pokemon battle revolution. set 4 msaters battle and that stupid clefable...
    Claimed the Expert Belt as of 1/8/13!

Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

What do the Pokemon that are capable of learning this move have in common?
    Cuteness, appeal, charm. No wonder for Clefairy.

This is good when you are using this alongside Focus Punch, so that Focus Punch will be undisturbed. Only for Double or triple Battles, that is.

URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!

Blog Entries

The Pokemon that learn it just wag their finger (like metronome) and maybe hypnotize them into attacking only them. They probably can't use this move to help them or a profession. In the wild that is just trying to get hurt, and I have NO idea how it would be able to aid a profession. How it differs from metronome is that metronome tweaks the Pokemon's brain, so basically it is being used on the user, and Follow Me tweaks the other Pokemon's brain into only attacking the user. The users are all cute (with the exception of Lucario, Electivire, Elctabuzz, Magmortor, Magmar,and Blastoise), and they are all popular Pokemon. I think Plusle and Minun would be able to learn it because they are cute, and are known for Double Battles.
    winstein likes this.
    Shiny Sninx Breeding!
    Hatch Count: 67
    Trying to obtain a Shiny Shinx!

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

The disadvantage obviously is that the user will be attacked by any moves. Personally, I dislike it because there's no telling if the opponent will use a super effective move or not. Besides, this doesn't work well with moves like Surf or Earthquake that can hit everyone.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

I honestly consider this move even more specific than even Lucky Chant, but I suppose you could use it if say, your Pokémon's charging Focus Punch and you're in a double battle and you don't want to be disrupted... But then the enemy uses Surf and you're screwed beside wasting a turn, so, no, I never used it, and never will.

I guess the move's animation could be like baiting, the one using this move jumps forward and starts drawing attention to itself by being obnoxious and/or cutesy in order to disguise its partner.

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Harv13 View Post
    This is good when you are using this alongside Focus Punch, so that Focus Punch will be undisturbed. Only for Double or triple Battles, that is.
    There are several other ways this move could prove useful, such as diverting a weakness away (say, an Ice Beam towards Blastoise), diverting Taunt away from a Trick Room user, so that it could use Trick Room without being disrupted. It also aids a set-up user in, well, setting up.

It would be interesting if there is a Follow Me + Magic Bounce user, because that way, the opponent will be less willing to use status moves lest they want to be inflicted themselves.

Thanks for reading.
    Berrenta likes this.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

needs a new avatar Shiny Staraptor's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, I never thought about how it could be combined with Magic Bounce like that. It's an OK move, I suppose, but only in certain situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoflare
    star i have your eevee
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Yagami
    IF YOU EVER WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN, COME TO ... AVENUE
    Y Friend Code: 2578-3150-3027

Nice weather we're having SirOni's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In the wild it can be used as a distraction, such as a mother protecting her young. The best example of this tactic for the Pokemon who can use it is Furret in my opinion.

I feel that Murkrow should have had access to this move since it can be a good reference to it reputation of leading people deep into the woods and having them lose their way.
    winstein likes this.
    Caro: 0774-4484-9102

IGN: Antonio

URPG:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f401/cerony-urpg-66373/