Move-of-the-Week Discussion #21: Pay Day

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #21: Pay Day

Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #21: Pay Day

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. However, there are certain moves we don't normally see being used, heard about, or used in a meaningful manner. On the other hand, there are moves we see that are famous or used often. In this type of discussion, we shall discuss the ins-and-outs of the move of the topic, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. Every week, a different move will be the centre of discussion.

(Click picture to go to the Bulbapedia page)

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
    Type: Normal (Physical)
    Base Power: 40
    Accuracy: 100%
    PP: 20

Numerous coins are hurled at the target to inflict damage. Money is earned after the battle.
    Introduced in Generation 1, this is more of a novelty move than anything else. As one of the ways to make money when options were sparse, this move was a welcomed alternative, due to its TM status. However, with the advent of Generation 3, very few learners of the art of making money remain. One of these is Meowth, who came to become associated with this move as time went on. However, that doesn't stop us from discussing this move at its fullest, right?

Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Realistically, would there be any advantage or disadvantage associated with using this move? If yes, what kind of advantage/disadvantage would the user have when they use it?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • Why is it that a higher-levelled Pokémon gives out a higher payout?
    • Realistically, is this move feasible to earn extra money?
    • Would the cash look different if a different Pokémon used it?
    • Why is the cash handed out accepted by shops, if the money looked different from the standard money?
    • Should there be conditions where the Pay Day learner is able to hand out extra cash?

Here are the current users of this move (Put in Spoiler tag since a lot of learners are listed):

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:
    “Detachment does not consist in setting fire to one's house, or becoming bankrupt or throwing one's fortune out of the window, or even giving away all of one's possessions. Detachment consists in refraining from letting our possessions possess us.”

Bonus article: Ice-type Reviews - Generation 2 (Selected TCG Art) (01/12/2014)

He's literally Chen! VoltChen Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow VoltChen Magneton On Twitter Add VoltChen Magneton on Facebook

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #21: Pay Day

If this move is true in real life, this is the number one accomplice by money counterfeiters.

Blog Entries

Visit Kira Akigari's Youtube Channel

If Pay Day is real then there is no more corruption in the world

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

I think the result of Pay Day isn't getting actual money, but something that can be taken as payment all the same. In the real world, there are banks for not only money, but also golds and other jewels - and some shops accept gold as a payment method, so while gold isn't money, it can be used like money.

Same with Pay Day. This is probably some sort of mini-alchemy done by those kitties. So maybe what we're picking up after battle is gold or something like that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Harv13 View Post
    If this move is true in real life, this is the number one accomplice by money counterfeiters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kira Akigari View Post
    Could you two explain why whatever you said would happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    I think the result of Pay Day isn't getting actual money, but something that can be taken as payment all the same. In the real world, there are banks for not only money, but also golds and other jewels - and some shops accept gold as a payment method, so while gold isn't money, it can be used like money.

Same with Pay Day. This is probably some sort of mini-alchemy done by those kitties. So maybe what we're picking up after battle is gold or something like that.
    It's interesting you said that, because that would mean that whatever those Pokémon generate from thin-air is valuable. This is also interesting because it implies that an ordinary cat Pokémon carries the secrets to making gold. Speaking of gold, do you think Cofagrigus should be able to learn Pay Day, since it is a gold-plated sarcophagus?

Do you think it's possible that Meowth (or any other Pokémon) could also be calling the gold to come to it, since those cat-o-luck statues (the basis of this move) are supposed to beckon for wealth? I meant in a similar way Rock Slide summons rocks from thin-air.

Thanks for reading.
    “Detachment does not consist in setting fire to one's house, or becoming bankrupt or throwing one's fortune out of the window, or even giving away all of one's possessions. Detachment consists in refraining from letting our possessions possess us.”

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post

I think thats a criminals number one action to be done immediately. But i think more of the gold making theory.

Admin Iteru's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

This move could be used by any Pokémon with feline attributes in my opinion. Shinx, Weavile, etc. Anything that can somehow be tied to a (big) cat.

That does make me wonder though the logic that was used in Gen I for who could learn the move by TM. Mankey, Slowbro, Nidoking, etc. Those are weird. Mew seem to have a somewhat feline shape, and Seel/Dewgong have the as-a-stretch sealion thing going on but its still weird. Maybe as one of the few money making efforts in that Gen, they pulled out names from a hat as to who got it? xD

Blog Entries

I think thats a criminals number one action to be done immediately. But i think more of the gold making theory.
    Well, that is considering the money made looks similar to the real ones, which is not a certainty. Would you say this is something Team Rocket and Team Plasma would do? Also, I don't quite get when you said "gold making theory". What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Leopard View Post
    This move could be used by any Pokémon with feline attributes in my opinion. Shinx, Weavile, etc. Anything that can somehow be tied to a (big) cat.

That does make me wonder though the logic that was used in Gen I for who could learn the move by TM. Mankey, Slowbro, Nidoking, etc. Those are weird. Mew seem to have a somewhat feline shape, and Seel/Dewgong have the as-a-stretch sealion thing going on but its still weird. Maybe as one of the few money making efforts in that Gen, they pulled out names from a hat as to who got it? xD
    Ah, so it's similar to Assist, another cat-related move! The funny thing is, Drowzee is able to learn this move through breeding, and also get Pay Day from Gen 1 TM. That's a strange one. I have to agree with you that a lot of learners are rather random, since some of them are indeed strange choices, such as Hoppip. I suppose Hoppip was chosen at one point for its cat ears, but still, it's funny that Hoppip was chosen to learn this move through breeding.

Thanks for reading.

Blog Entries

Visit Kira Akigari's Youtube Channel

Well then people just use pay day then voila money

needs a new avatar Shiny Staraptor's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like to think that Pay Day was in fact where the idea of currency originated in the Pokémon world. Think about it. Humans can hardly invent new moves in that world, so what if they actually have Persian/Meowth to thank for such a great invention?
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoflare
    star i have your eevee
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Yagami
    IF YOU EVER WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN, COME TO ... AVENUE
    Y Friend Code: 2578-3150-3027

Blog Entries

Well, that is considering the money made looks similar to the real ones, which is not a certainty. Would you say this is something Team Rocket and Team Plasma would do? Also, I don't quite get when you said "gold making theory". What is it?
    ...And yes, teams like Rocket and Plasma would do that, if their primary goal is to be rich.

Gold-making theory: making gold out of nowhere. I think I heard this somewhere in this discussion.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Kira Akigari View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post

It's interesting you said that, because that would mean that whatever those Pokémon generate from thin-air is valuable. This is also interesting because it implies that an ordinary cat Pokémon carries the secrets to making gold. Speaking of gold, do you think Cofagrigus should be able to learn Pay Day, since it is a gold-plated sarcophagus?

Do you think it's possible that Meowth (or any other Pokémon) could also be calling the gold to come to it, since those cat-o-luck statues (the basis of this move) are supposed to beckon for wealth? I meant in a similar way Rock Slide summons rocks from thin-air.

Thanks for reading.
    The fact that the kitties can learn Pay Day is most likely connected to the Maneki-Neko - bringing good luck and good fortune. As to why some un-kitty creatures can learn it is beyond me, but I found some theory based on the occurance of gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    1. Because the Earth was molten when it was just formed, almost all of the gold present on Earth sank into the core. Most of the gold that is present today in the Earth's crust and mantle was delivered to Earth by asteroid impacts during the late heavy bombardment.
    2. Recent research suggests that microbes can sometimes play an important role in forming gold deposits, transporting and precipitating gold to form grains and nuggets that collect in alluvial deposits.
    1. So, looking at the list of pokemon who can learn it even by TM (most being Gen1 pokemon), They are either part Ground-type, are known to deliver 'Heavy bombardment' or both. I don't know about Jumpluff, though... However, this is based on the first creation of gold, and the pokemons aren't probably capable of doing that. Just mentioned it because I tried to fit some of the pokemons being able to learn it.

2. The second theory is what I'm more leaned on. Like in the real world, there must be microbes in the Pokemon World as well. Some specific microbes can survive when only certain conditions are met (i.e. warm temperature, high salinity, extreme pressure applied, abundant water, a host to parasite on, etc). I'm guessing the gold-creating microbes are very picky on where they live as gold is rare enough to be called valuable. Maybe in the pokemon world, they can survive within the kitties and gather gold elements bit by bit, storing it inside the kitties. And somehow the kitties found a way to utilize those microbes' abillities to their survival - like, by providing gold they would have a much higher survival rate due to humans protecting the cats for their valuable move. So the kitties evolved to have access to 'Pay Day', be it by breeding or level up.

Cofagrigus... Maybe. But I doubt microbes would be able to live off ghosts. For microbes to live and do something, they need nutrients from the host but a ghost barely has any... do they? Of course, Cofagrigus could scratch off some of its plate and throw it as an attack. That could work.

I always imagined Rock Slide to be something like transporting rocks from another place. The pokemons probably remember their habitat - or have a faint idea of their origins even if they were bred (Mewtwo from the movie had dreams of an oceanic place where Mew flew around). They probably concentrate really hard and bring the rocks from their original homes to use for attacks. Probably a little different from Pay Day.

Pay Day is a viable move now thanks to Meowth and Persian's Technician ability that increases the damage of that move since its power is under 60. The added bonus of funds is great. Even now in Black/White 2 who can't use extra easy money? While hitting up the Casteliacones is viable it's annoying selling them one at a time.