Move-of-the-Week Discussion #20: Lucky Chant

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #20: Lucky Chant

Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #20: Lucky Chant

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. However, there are certain moves we don't normally see being used, heard about, or used in a meaningful manner. On the other hand, there are moves we see that are famous or used often. In this type of discussion, we shall discuss the ins-and-outs of the move of the topic, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. Every Saturday, a different move will be the centre of discussion.

(Click picture to go to the Bulbapedia page)

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (BW)
    Type: Normal (Status)
    Accuracy: --
    PP: 30

The user chants an incantation toward the sky, preventing opposing Pokémon from landing critical hits.
    Previously, users were asked to vote for a move, and Lucky Chant managed to get a fair share of votes. So, Lucky Chant. Generation 4 gave us another way to prevent critical hits, which is certainly unlucky if you are on the other end of that attack. It's little wonder this move is meant to make the user "lucky". Unfortunately, this effect only lasts for five turns. Not only that, you don't know if the move used within the time frame are critical hits or not, so it's certainly a gamble to utilise this move.

Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Realistically, would there be any advantage or disadvantage associated with using this move? If yes, what kind of advantage/disadvantage would the user have when they use it?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • How is this move's effect physically represented?
    • You might notice that certain bird Pokémon learns this move. How do they chant? What use could this move possibly have for them?
    • Should this move have more effects that increases the luck of the user (such as improving critical hit ratios)?
    • Why is it that Shaymin cannot learn this move anymore?

Here are the current users of this move (Put in Spoiler tag since a lot of learners are listed):

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:
    “Detachment does not consist in setting fire to one's house, or becoming bankrupt or throwing one's fortune out of the window, or even giving away all of one's possessions. Detachment consists in refraining from letting our possessions possess us.”

Bonus article: Ice-type Reviews - Generation 2 (Selected TCG Art) (01/12/2014)

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #20: Lucky Chant

I guess it could be used in lotteries?

I never used it, never will and I don't think higly of it, seems awfully specific.

He's literally Chen! VoltChen Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow VoltChen Magneton On Twitter Add VoltChen Magneton on Facebook

How is this move's effect physically represented?
    The user glows, and weird special effects swirl around the user. Simply like the animations in the games

Music is Fun! Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

I find it strange that Victini does not learn this move, seeing as it's supposed to bring you victory, which is a lucky thing to happen. It seems a lot of Pokemon that use this move are either fairy-like (magical avoiding crits perhaps?) or Psychic (maybe seeing the future to avoid critical hits.) As for the birds, maybe it's referring to how birds sing repetitive notes, which I guess is a bit like a chant. It's a pity that this move doesn't do more for the user or last for the whole battle. Since critical hits are impossible to predict there's really not much of a way to use it effectively. There's no way to know if it actually helped or if your opponent just didn't get any critical hits.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Togepi had always been like a bundle of magic full of happiness, and lucky chant seems like a good move it would use. I don't understand why it needs to learn it by breeding. I used to think Lucky Chant was what those little baby wizards would use when practicing their first magic, so baby pokemon that evolve by happiness, or young Psychic pokemons should be able to learn it as critical hits would kill them in one turn.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Harv13 View Post
    How is this move's effect physically represented?
    The user glows, and weird special effects swirl around the user. Simply like the animations in the games
    Well, this description is lacking in imagination, wouldn't you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Serperior View Post
    I guess it could be used in lotteries?

I never used it, never will and I don't think higly of it, seems awfully specific.
    It is rather specific, yes, but what else do you think it should be able to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Enzap View Post
    I find it strange that Victini does not learn this move, seeing as it's supposed to bring you victory, which is a lucky thing to happen. It seems a lot of Pokemon that use this move are either fairy-like (magical avoiding crits perhaps?) or Psychic (maybe seeing the future to avoid critical hits.) As for the birds, maybe it's referring to how birds sing repetitive notes, which I guess is a bit like a chant. It's a pity that this move doesn't do more for the user or last for the whole battle. Since critical hits are impossible to predict there's really not much of a way to use it effectively. There's no way to know if it actually helped or if your opponent just didn't get any critical hits.
    I agree that it is too bad this move doesn't do much, since you won't know if you will benefit from its effect, as I have mentioned in the Original Post. I would love to see this move not only avoid critical hits, but also increase your critical hit ratio. As an added bonus, this move should last more than five turns, since it would make the prevention more worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    Togepi had always been like a bundle of magic full of happiness, and lucky chant seems like a good move it would use. I don't understand why it needs to learn it by breeding. I used to think Lucky Chant was what those little baby wizards would use when practicing their first magic, so baby pokemon that evolve by happiness, or young Psychic pokemons should be able to learn it as critical hits would kill them in one turn.
    I guess there are some young wizards who has some inherent skills that protect them from harm. This is a valid point that intrigues me. What inspired you to come up with this theory?

Thanks for reading.
    “Detachment does not consist in setting fire to one's house, or becoming bankrupt or throwing one's fortune out of the window, or even giving away all of one's possessions. Detachment consists in refraining from letting our possessions possess us.”

Bonus article: Ice-type Reviews - Generation 2 (Selected TCG Art) (01/12/2014)

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    I guess there are some young wizards who has some inherent skills that protect them from harm. This is a valid point that intrigues me. What inspired you to come up with this theory?

Thanks for reading.
    In some depiction on wizards, they have to say the spell out loud for it to work. Young wizards who probably aren't experienced would have to repeat as many times as possible to get it right. Or, in some cases, the spell is strengthened depending on how many times it's recited. It's Lucky Chant - you'd have to repeatedly say the magic words (or "lucky" words) to get the effects. Unlike Round, you don't actually need to use Lucky Chant multiple times in a row for it to strengthen. Though, many things can happen within the turn you use the move. For instance, I imagine that when a Kirlia is using Lucky Chant, she's chanting spells very quickly to set up something that'll block critical hits.

Admin Iteru's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'm gonna be a bit of a downer here; the "chanting" speculation just doesn't add up to the move. The translation is Good Luck Charm (heavy focus on the "Charm" part there). I think what happens here is that the Pokémon focus their power into an aspect of their body which acts as the charm. If it was a chant then it seems like so many other notable sound-based Pokémon would be there in my opinion.