In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. However, there are certain moves we don't normally see being used, heard about, or used in a meaningful manner. On the other hand, there are moves we see that are famous or used often. In this type of discussion, we shall discuss the ins-and-outs of the move of the topic, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. Every Saturday, a different move will be the centre of discussion.
(Click picture to go to the Bulbapedia page)
In Generation 4, a slew of moves that go first are introduced, and Ice Shard is among them. Being an Ice attack, this means that Ice-types are the usual receivers. What's interesting about it is the Japanese name. It is called "Ice Throwing Stone", like as if it is a variation of Rock Throw. Besides that, it is a simple attack that finds use in any form of battling.Originally Posted by In-game Description (Move)
Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
- How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
- What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
- How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
- Realistically, would there be any advantage or disadvantage associated with using this move? If yes, what kind of advantage/disadvantage would the user have when they use it?
- Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
- How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?
Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
- Since the name doesn't suggest any kind of swiftness, how is it possible that this attack go first?
- How do any of the learners create an ice shard for the purpose of this attack?
Here are the current users of this move:
- Seel & Dewgong
- Shellder & Cloyster
- Sneasel & Weavile
- Swinub, Piloswine & Mamoswine
- Delibird (Breeding)
- Phanpy & Donphan (Breeding)
- Snorunt, Glalie & Froslass
- Snover & Abomasnow
- Vanillite, Vanillish & Vanilluxe (Breeding)
Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!
~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff