• 2 Post By Infinity Mk-II
  • 1 Post By Enzap
  • 1 Post By Yato

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #15: Hex

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #15: Hex

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. However, there are certain moves we don't normally see being used, heard about, or used in a meaningful manner. On the other hand, there are moves we see that are famous or used often. In this type of discussion, we shall discuss the ins-and-outs of the move of the topic, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. Every Saturday, a different move will be the centre of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (Move)
    Type:Ghost (Special)
    Base Power: 50
    Accuracy: 100
    PP: 10

This relentless attack does massive damage to a target affected by status problems.
    Halloween is coming up, so this week we’ll be looking at a Ghost type move. Hex is a special Ghost move introduced in Gen V, and is notable for dealing double damage to foes suffering from a status condition. This means that when Hex is used against a statused enemy, it is the most powerful special Ghost move in the game. Something else to note is the move’s Japanese Name: Evil Eye, which is a well known symbol of bad luck in many different cultures around the world.

Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Realistically, would there be any advantage or disadvantage associated with using this move? If yes, what kind of advantage/disadvantage would they have when they use it?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • What do the Pokemon that are capable of learning this move have in common?
    • Why does Hex deal more damage to foes with statuses?
    • Would the move bring bad luck to a person if used on them?

Here are the current users of this move (put in Spoiler tags since a lot of users are listed):

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:
    Zeb and winstein like this.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #15: Hex

This move works great for Jellicent as it can use it and Scald to screw up Physical sweepers. I imagine Hex as a weaker/powerful version of Psychic, in which the user will glow their eyes when performing the move at the opponent.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Most of the Pokemon that learn it seem to be associated with darkness, dark magic, or bad luck. The ones that kind of confuse me are Dunsparce and Castform. Anyone got any ideas about them?

I don't think just any ghost type could learn it, because not all are shown to be evil or dark. A Pokemon like Golurk was created to be useful, so it doesn't make sense for them to be able to manipulate dark energy in this way.
    Winterdaze and winstein like this.

Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

Would the move bring bad luck to a person if used on them?

Its an attack, so it damages. I think it only damages. (opinion)

URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    I imagine Hex as a weaker/powerful version of Psychic, in which the user will glow their eyes when performing the move at the opponent.
    Probably the most boring way a move called Evil Eye could be done. Even Mean Look is better than that.

Personally I think the move should look how it first did when it was shown in the Anime:

A giant eye pulsating with evil power. Seems a lot more like it.

Generally I think this move could be used in two ways. The first is a warning. If you see the move, leave or don't enter. Ghost types could use the move to have a mark at the border of their habitats. The second is similar to how the Deatheaters would cast the Dark Mark in Harry Potter; a way to induce fear, panic and terror. This could be done by trainers ordering their Pokémon to use the move.

I don't think any additional Pokémon need to learn this move, but I do think Absol should have it in its natural learnset as opposed to breeding. It's a symbol of bad luck for the Pokémon that annouces bad luck and catasphrope.

In-game this move isn't that useful unless you can guarantee your opponents will have a status condition. Cauing a status turn 1 and then using Hex turn 2 allows you to be KO'd in turn 1 when you could have just used Shadow Ball and done more damage. That and two Shadow Balls does more damage than one Hex. Toxic Spikes eliminates needing to use turn 1 to status the opponent, but not every Pokémon is subject to Toxic Spikes, so the move really is hard to get the best use out of with its second effect.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

These hexes and the deal of "giving the evil eye" to someone obviously deal with spiritism and popular sorcery. Though not so much as a warning as a cause, it wishes for something bad to happen to the victim.

I am honestly surprised this move causes direct damage though, as I'd figure bad luck and the subtlety of the concept would be more fitting for an status move, or perhaps something similar to Foresight. I guess the ghost type makes it take a more direct approach.

For battling, the move I guess it's good if you rely heavily on status conditions, particularly burns and paralysis. I guess it has an added bonus of hitting sleep-talk users, but many of these are Normal types and it's an unfrequent thing. Most of its users have better attacking options and things to do anyways.

[/overexposition]

Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Leopard View Post
    In-game this move isn't that useful unless you can guarantee your opponents will have a status condition. Cauing a status turn 1 and then using Hex turn 2 allows you to be KO'd in turn 1 when you could have just used Shadow Ball and done more damage. That and two Shadow Balls does more damage than one Hex. Toxic Spikes eliminates needing to use turn 1 to status the opponent, but not every Pokémon is subject to Toxic Spikes, so the move really is hard to get the best use out of with its second effect.
    I actually have used a team that primarily revolves around Toxic Spikes and a few of my Pokemon know Hex. It's definitely hit-and-miss, but when it works, it can make a clear difference over Shadow Ball, especially since you have that poison damage going. I also should add that it's helpful to have at least one other status-inducing move on your team in case Toxic Spikes doesn't work out.

Without Toxic Spikes, I have to agree with you that you might as well just use Shadow Ball.
    winstein likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Chandelure is certainly the best user of the move. Not only does it already have high Sp. Atk, it also has access to various fire-type moves that would burn the opponent. Once that comes in check, Hex will almost KO anybody with the burn. Too bad it doesn't work with Normal-types.

Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    Chandelure is certainly the best user of the move. Not only does it already have high Sp. Atk, it also has access to various fire-type moves that would burn the opponent. Once that comes in check, Hex will almost KO anybody with the burn. Too bad it doesn't work with Normal-types.
    I have to disagree with you and say that Gengar is the best user. It is significantly faster, plus it can also burn or poison with Will-o-Wisp and Toxic. And its special attack is also extremely high (130) which is only a bit less than Chandelure's (145.) Basically the speed makes up for it.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Enzap View Post
    Most of the Pokemon that learn it seem to be associated with darkness, dark magic, or bad luck. The ones that kind of confuse me are Dunsparce and Castform. Anyone got any ideas about them?
    Dunsparce could be found in Dark Cave, so its probably associated with darkness.

I don't have really any ideas why Castform can learn it as well...but one suggestion could be that it can be affected by rainy days and thunderstorms - which are dark as well. Also, in XD, Castform has an additional type change when the weather is Shadow-ed, so maybe that might have some relation?

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I think that in the Japanese description of this move, it states that the move is basically putting a lot of questions in the mind of the user, kind of like interrogation. I don't remember where it's found, but I thought it might have existed on the 'pedia at one time. That's an interesting way of attacking, because when the opponent is statused, they won't be able to handle their mind as effectively as before. It would seem that certain Psychics could use this move too, but this isn't the case. Anyway, because of this, I don't believe it brings bad luck to humans. It's more that they are tormented for being interrogated in their mind, which would disturb their souls. In this case, I can see why it's very effective against Ghosts and Psychics: they are more "mind" than other types, and being interrogated in this manner is much more effective at disrupting them. Languages that support this is German (burden) and French (punishment).

However, since this move is called "Imminent Misfortune" in Chinese and similar meanings in other languages, it could also mean that the user is preying on the state of misfortune (in this case, being inflicted by status) of others. Perhaps in this fashion, the way this move works as an attack is by making the foe fall for own bad luck, thereby hurting them in the process.

One of the oddest users, if you ask me, is Snorunt. For Froslass, it's not odd, but it is on a Glalie, because something with a menacing appearance would denote brute strength rather than evil thoughts. Other than that though, I agree that most of the users are essentially signs of malevolence, dark magic and bad luck. In the case of Castform, bad weather could also be a sign of misfortune, which would explain its ability to learn this move. After all, not all weather charms bring good luck, from what I had seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzap View Post
    I actually have used a team that primarily revolves around Toxic Spikes and a few of my Pokemon know Hex. It's definitely hit-and-miss, but when it works, it can make a clear difference over Shadow Ball, especially since you have that poison damage going. I also should add that it's helpful to have at least one other status-inducing move on your team in case Toxic Spikes doesn't work out.
    This is an interesting idea for a team. I am glad you mentioned this because I wondered if a team revolving around Hex and Venoshock works.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Hex? I just thought for a moment this had something to do with hex values XD Why, it should deal damage depending on the Pokemon's hex value. That should be an attack for Porygon, but now the name Hex is already used >< Nonetheless, the attack itself is quite useful, if you burn the opponent or something before you attack. There are lots of good attacks that give the enemy bad conditions.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?