Move-of-the-Week Discussion #14: Wish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #14: Wish

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #14: Wish

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. However, there are certain moves we don't normally see being used, heard about, or used in a meaningful manner. On the other hand, there are moves we see that are famous or used often. In this type of discussion, we shall discuss the ins-and-outs of the move of the topic, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. Every Saturday, a different move will be the centre of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (Move)
    Type: Normal (Status)
    Accuracy: --
    PP: 10

One turn after this move is used, the target's HP is restored by half the user's maximum HP.
    Wish is one of those moves that you will learn to appreciate if you know how to use it. Introduced in Generation 3, it provides a way to heal any Pokémon, even those without a recovery move in hand. I am sure when you are in a wounded condition, you would love to recieve healing to alleviate the suffering, hence this move's translation as "Pray" in some languages. In Generation 5, a drastic change occurred. Rather than heal half the maximum HP of the recipient, it now heals HP based on the user's HP, so this makes any Pokémon with a high HP brilliant users of this move.

Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Realistically, would there be any advantage or disadvantage associated with using this move? If yes, what kind of advantage/disadvantage would they have when they use it?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • What does the (non-event) users of this move have in common to be able to learn this move?
    • What kind of wish is usually made by the users?
    • Are trainers able to get the Pokémon with this move to grant their wishes/prayers/desires?
    • Generation 5 changed this move to heal HP based on the user's HP. Making sense out of this, What kind of advantage does a high HP Pokémon have to be able to recover more health than those with less HP?

Here are the current users of this move (Put in Spoiler tag since a lot of learners are listed):

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

For every five weeks, users get to vote for the next move to be the next Move-of-the-Week. However, you can't choose just any move. To narrow down the selection of potential moves, a criteria for the next move would be placed. If you want to vote, at least contribute to the topic in hand to give your post some substance (and also because this topic is about the current move, not about voting for the next move). If you posted just to vote, your vote won't be considered.

Criterion for next move: Ghost-type (Check here for the list)
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries
    Add Morru Magnum on Facebook

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #14: Wish

How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    I think Wish could be used in Pokémon Centers to help restore health to injured Pokémon. If this move has the same effect on people too (there is evidence in the animé that some moves affect people, i.e., Sweet Scent) then it can theoretically be used in hospitals as well.

Are trainers able to get the Pokémon with this move to grant their wishes/prayers/desires?
    I don't think the move will grant wishes. If that were true, then people in the Pokémon World could just abuse Wish-users to get anything they wanted. Team Rocket could just use, say, a Spinda, and wish for Pikachu. So yeah, I don't think the move grants actual wishes, though Jirachi might be an exception.

For the next Move-of-the-Week, I assume I just include it in this post? If so, I'd like to vote for Hex.
    Last edited by Morru Magnum; 20th October 2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: grammar
    winstein likes this.

BANNER BY Blue Dragon
    JOIN Pokémon URPG TODAY!
    | URPG Stats | Curator Log | Ref Log | Violet Gym |

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morru Magnum View Post
    For the next Move-of-the-Week, I assume I just include it in this post? If so, I'd like to vote for Hex.
    Yeah, you could post your vote in the same post (It is preferable that you do this). Anyway, you have some great answers!

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Arms... like... nooodles! The Togekiss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow The Togekiss on Tumblr

How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    They probably would make some sort of magical mental prayer towards the sky to heal themselves I guess.

Realistically, would there be any advantage or disadvantage associated with using this move? If yes, what kind of advantage/disadvantage would they have when they use it?
    A disadvantage could be that if they used wish, and they hadn't taken any damage, and the opponent just boosted stats or whatever the next turn, I guess the wish would go to waste.
    Another disadvantage could be if the user was at low health and used Wish, and the opponent KO'd the future receiver of the Wish in that turn, there's another way Wish would go to waste.

My deviantArt account... http://thetogekiss.deviantart.com/
    Claimed: Togekiss (yay!) ,Oblivious, Pokeradar,and Razor Fang! July 8th, 2012, Air Slash July 20th, 2012

Blog Entries

Visit Kira Akigari's Youtube Channel

It will be useful for Team member healing
    Next move of the week Destiney Bond
    Last edited by Kira Akigari; 23rd October 2012 at 04:01 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrai_Destroyer View Post
    It will be useful for Team member healing
    Next move of the week Substitute
    Your answers are too simple for the topic. Why not take your time with other questions?

By the way, Substitute is not a Ghost-type move. Please read the OP more carefully about a next week's move's criterion next time.

Thanks for reading.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Imo, Blissey doesn't need it as they already got softboiled in their hands.

This could actually help a lot in real life emergencies. If it happens to affect people, then they'd be used by firefighters or the like when they rescue a person running low on HP (you know what I mean). Using wish would help the rescuing in emergency situations

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

I'm not exactly sure how useful Wish would be for healing other Pokemon or people, since Heal Pulse works immediately which is what you want in first aid. I'm pretty sure the move can't grant an actual wish (only Jirachi can do that), but is more like a way of sharing energy.
    winstein likes this.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

It seems to me that Wish wouldn't work with any kind of wish other than healing. Like you wish for more health and it happens.

I don't really see much of a pattern in the Pokemon that can use this move other than a fairly large number of psychic types. Maybe it can be used by "spiritually in-tune" Pokemon. Although it's likely that they learn it because they're support Pokemon and Game Freak wanted to give them a more rounded movepool since most of them don't learn any other recovery moves.

Lock On
    Last edited by Enzap; 25th October 2012 at 12:33 PM.
    winstein likes this.

Berry Incinerator Heatmor C. Dawson's Avatar

I wouldn't bother with Wish, since your opponent could use TGU to Xyz into Utopia and...wait, I meant to post that on my Yu-gi-oh forum. Browser tabs strike again!

I might use it in Double/Triple Battles, but beyond that it just makes farming Audino for EXP that much easier. I almost feel sorry for them.

Lock-On
    Last edited by Heatmor C. Dawson; 25th October 2012 at 11:58 AM.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post

This could actually help a lot in real life emergencies. If it happens to affect people, then they'd be used by firefighters or the like when they rescue a person running low on HP (you know what I mean). Using wish would help the rescuing in emergency situations
    Blissey is THE best user of wish after Jirachi. Blissey's bulk allows it switch in and laugh at any special attack and heal as much as 300(!!) hp of iteself or any other Pokemon in gen 5. Wish + Protect is also a good combo and protect is useful for scouting especially if your opponent sends out a choice banded mon against Blissey. Chansey is in a similar boat.

Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    To be frank, the change in mechanics has made wish on mons like Xatu and Espeon more or less useless. Apart from the pink blobs, Jirachi and Vaporeon are probably the best users of wish.

My answer is: any mon with 400+ hp and decent bulk and typing can make good use of wish. Snorlax, Lapras, etc come to the mind, although neither would work in OU.

In the anime, the move wish literally does grant wishes. Alteast Max got(stole) the candies he wanted. If I lost something, I wish for it to come back and voila!

@wintein; : The move I choose will be spite.
    Last edited by Lord Clowncrete; 27th October 2012 at 03:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clowncrete View Post

Blissey is THE best user of wish after Jirachi. Blissey's bulk allows it switch in and laugh at any special attack and heal as much as 300(!!) hp of iteself or any other Pokemon in gen 5. Wish + Protect is also a good combo and protect is useful for scouting especially if your opponent sends out a choice banded mon against Blissey. Chansey is in a similar boat.
    Which is why I don't like Blissey because Wish would make them too overpowered and hard to kill.

Confuse Ray
    Last edited by Yato; 25th October 2012 at 10:15 AM.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clowncrete View Post

Which is why I don't like Blissey because Wish would make them too overpowered and hard to kill.
    Physical attacks kill it easily. It is also vulnerable to entry hazards. I donot believe wish makes it OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

@The Togekiss; @Lord Clowncrete; @Enzap; @Dark Blueberry; @Heatmor C. Dawson;

Since you already responded, why not vote for the next move? There are only two people who voted, and Saturday is approaching. Just edit your post (and preferably bold) the move you want to see next week.

Thanks for reading.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

@Enzap @Heatmor C. Dawson

Hey guys, next week's move will have to be of the Ghost type, so Lock-On isn't an option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast