• 1 Post By Winterdaze
  • 1 Post By Enzap
  • 1 Post By Infinity Mk-II
  • 1 Post By Zeb

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #13: Teleport

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #13: Teleport

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. However, there are certain moves we don't normally see being used, heard about, or used in a meaningful manner. On the other hand, there are moves we see that are famous or used often. In this type of discussion, we shall discuss the ins-and-outs of the move of the topic, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. Every Saturday, a different move will be the centre of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (Move)
    Type: Psychic (Status)
    Accuracy: --
    PP: 20

Use it to flee from any wild Pokémon. It can also warp to the last Pokémon Center visited.
    Teleport is a long-time move. Generation 1 players looking to catch an Abra might be troubled by Abra's use of this move, since it will always use it to flee if it survived or isn't caught yet, and it usually will since Abra's a fast Pokémon. Besides that, it was a TM in Generation 1, meaning a slew of Pokémon learned it, besides the Abra family. Unfortunately, it is also confined by the limitations of being trapped by trapping moves and abilities, which is to say that teleportation will fail in a wild battle if trapping is in effect. This is a very useful utility move to get back to a certain spot quickly, and in speedruns, said move is great for going back to a desired spot in no time. Unfortunately, it has no effect in a trainer's battle, making this move as good as Splash in that regard.

Here are the usual possible questions about this move (though you could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Realistically, would there be any advantage or disadvantage associated with using this move? If yes, what kind of advantage/disadvantage would they have when they use it?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically? (Note: The video game aspect of this question is purposely omitted due to not having any effect in trainer battles.)

Other questions:
    • Does the teleporter knows where they will be teleported? If they overlap with something on a place they are attempting to travel too, what will happen?
    • Would it be a good idea if the player is allowed to choose where to teleport to?
    • Why isn't it possible for this move to work when a trapping move (Whirlpool, Mean Look, Shadow Tag, etc.) or ability is in effect?
    • Should this move gain any effect in battling so that it will become useful? Remember that Roar and Whirlwind too ended wild battles when used in Generation 1, except they gained a useful effect later on.

Here are the current users of this move (Put in Spoiler tag since a lot of learners are listed):

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:
    Last edited by winstein; 20th October 2012 at 12:03 AM.
    "True loss is for him whose days have been spent in utter ignorance of his self."

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Arms... like... nooodles! The Togekiss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow The Togekiss on Tumblr

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #13: Teleport

(first post yay)
    How could this move be used realisticly in trainer battles?
    I bet this move could be incredibly useful. It would be a quicker way to dodge an attack. And it could be used as a way to sneak up behind an opponent and strike.
    That's all I can think of at the moment...

My deviantArt account... http://thetogekiss.deviantart.com/
    Claimed: Togekiss (yay!) ,Oblivious, Pokeradar,and Razor Fang! July 8th, 2012, Air Slash July 20th, 2012

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Useless in trainer battles and running has the same effect in wild battles. Put it short, the move is just a waste of time and actually gives Splash a run for its money as far as crappy moves go...
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Blog Entries

As far as moves go, this is the first move to not have an effect in video game battling, so it is encouraged that future posters use their imagination instead of speaking in the perspective of video games. Look at the questions in the OP to start off (no need to answer every question).

Quote Originally Posted by Gengarzilla View Post
    Useless in trainer battles and running has the same effect in wild battles. Put it short, the move is just a waste of time and actually gives Splash a run for its money as far as crappy moves go...
    It's obvious that it is useless in trainer battles, as I have stated in the OP. Why not discuss some other aspects of the move instead, like suggesting an effect change so that it is at least usable?

Thanks for reading.
    "True loss is for him whose days have been spent in utter ignorance of his self."

Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

I'll always remember you~
    Blog Entries

In the Pokemon World, you could use this move to teleport out of a difficult situation (say you're about to be attacked by a tough opponent or something). But I like to think that the user doesn't know where they will be teleported to, so the move is purely about getting out of tight spots, not about sneaking up on an opponent or anything (maybe this is why it's useless in battle). In my opinion, the chances of landing on something else if you're teleported to a random spot every time are very slim.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

If the move should have additional effects, then why not add a feature similar to Baton Pass? Not running away, but more like switching out while retaining the stat changes?

The difference between it and Baton Pass would be that it would not pass on status problems like paralysis.

Just my idea.

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Oh, fine then. A good way to improve it for trainer battles would be to let the Pokemon switch out, regardless of trapping effects and abilities like Wrap and Shadow Tag. This could help Alakazam get away from trappers like Dugtrio and Magnezone.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Well provided the user can choose where it teleports could make it useful, then not only could you get out of a tight spot but you could go somewere to hide and such where you wouldnt be confronted again, or you could choose to sneak up and attack an opponent, again, this is provided you can choose where to teleport, it would make your moves unpredictable, they wouldnt know when you were going to teleport or where to, giving you the element of surprise.
    winstein likes this.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Given that using Teleport in the field can only return you to the nearest Pokemon centre, I'd say that Teleport probably has some kind of limited range. Perhaps it is a very taxing effort for the Pokemon using it, or teleporting over long distances is dangerous or less precise (say, you might end up inside a wall).

In battle I've always thought that Teleport should function like a Protect variant, letting you dodge an attack completely.

You discovered a piece of parchment with this riddle.

Last edited by Mintaka; 29th November 2012 at 09:25 PM.
    winstein likes this.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

It seems that pretty much every Pokemon that can use it is somehow affiliated with the psychic type (hence why it's a psychic move.) I have a feeling they made it specifically for Abra's family (since they have the whole "disappearing" and "reappearing" magic theme) and then ended up making it a TM since it's fairly useful outside of battle.

The Pokemon that kind of confuse me are Magneton and Electrode. I can't really think of how they would be associated with psychic abilities or teleporting, unless Electrode can just move fast enough to appear like it's teleporting.
    winstein likes this.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I envision it it warping to the last closest immediate safest location in mind.

In the wild, it means to the pokémon's nest or lair. When under a trainer's orders, the last immediate safest location is obviously the last visited center, or a similarly safe place.

I think that's literally all the move is capable of doing. Any other, more precise teleportation is under the rest of the pokémon's abilities and probably is more complicated than the move.
    Basically, it is an "emergency exit" thing.
    winstein likes this.

[/overexposition]

my magikarp knows teleport
    WHITE 2: 2624-0822-5515
    I' lov'in this sig ^.^

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by magikarp ftw View Post
    Magikarp doesn't naturally learn this move, unless it is hacked. This does not seem relevant to the discussion in hand, unless you can prove to me otherwise. What I am discouraging here is half-hearted responses.

Thanks for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by magikarp ftw View Post
    Magikarp doesn't naturally learn this move, unless it is hacked. This does not seem relevant to the discussion in hand, unless you can prove to me otherwise. What I am discouraging here is half-hearted responses.

Thanks for reading.
    okay i though it was a funny joke sorry
    WHITE 2: 2624-0822-5515
    I' lov'in this sig ^.^

Zeb
    five times in the mirror Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

This seems like such a useful move in the Pokemon World. Teleporting is a pretty neat subject. If it works within any range the trainer could just zip around the regions in a flash. I guess it would detract from the "adventure" of travelling though. It would be useful for getting sick and/or injured pokemon to the pokemon center quickly though. Also if you wake up late for something

An added effect for in battle could be that it works similar to protect (maybe without increased priority because it just seems really unrealistic for a slow pokemon to be able to teleport before a fast pokemon attacks, idk) and stops the opponents move from damaging you.

Or maybe it could work like Mind Reader and guarantee a hit on the next turn (Teleport close to the opponent and then strike).
    winstein likes this.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!