Move-of-the-Week Discussion #12: Smack Down

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By winstein

Thread: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #12: Smack Down

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Move-of-the-Week Discussion #12: Smack Down

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. However, there are certain moves we don't normally see being used, heard about, or used in a meaningful manner. On the other hand, there are moves we see that are famous or used often. In this type of discussion, we shall discuss the ins-and-outs of the move of the topic, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. Every Saturday, a different move will be the centre of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by In-game Description (Move)
    Type: Rock (Physical)
    Base Power: 50
    Accuracy: 100
    PP: 15

The user throws a stone or projectile to attack an opponent. A flying Pokémon will fall to the ground when it's hit.
    Smack Down is introduced in Generation 5, and is that Generation's Technical Machine. This is a Rock-type attack that not only inflicts damage, but also makes anything that flies vulnerable to ground attacks, whether it's an ordinary Flying-type, one exposed to Magnet Rise or those with Levitate. This effect even works on charging attacks that make the user go into the air, like Fly and Bounce, which will cancel the effect. However, Sky Drop's effect won't be cancelled, despite being able to hit either the carrier or the one being carried. The way this move is used is said to be through throwing a projectile to the target, similar to Rock Throw, but objectively, this move proves to be more useful due to having an effect, in addition to being fully accurate. The main learners are Rock-types and Fighting-types, along with some interesting candidates, like Sigilyph.

Here are the usual possible questions about this move (though you could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
    • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move?
    • What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
    • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
    • Realistically, would there be any advantage or disadvantage associated with using this move? If yes, what kind of advantage/disadvantage would they have when they use it?
    • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
    • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions:
    • If Smack Down is essentially like Rock Throw, why is it perfectly accurate, unlike Rock Throw? (For your reference, Rock Throw's accuracy is 90%)
    • Why couldn't the grounded Pokémon fly back up (like those with Levitate, for instance) when they are hit with this move?

Here are the current users of this move (Put in Spoiler tag since a lot of learners are listed):

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The Pokémon World Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:
    Last edited by winstein; 12th October 2012 at 10:24 PM.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Default Re: Move-of-the-Week Discussion #12: Smack Down

This is an interesting and useful move. It's hard to know exactly how it works. It seems to be projectile based and work in such a way that it cripples the opponent from flying/levitating. I'm assuming the target is too damaged to be able to fly/rise again,If we're assuming the projectile is really fast/ hard. Perhaps it'sa very large stone/rock that is hurtled at the enemy very fast and does a lot of damage.

The Pokemon that uses it seems to be capable of great strength and is able to trow things really fast and hard at an enemy. Psychic Pokemon such as Mew and Sigyliph would use psychic powers. In the Pokemon World, I'd see it being very useful for knocking things down if need be for demolition and such.

Blog Entries

Visit Kira Akigari's Youtube Channel

I think its useful
    It can leave Eelektross in a trouble
    Also useful for taking down Thunder/Flying types

I adore this move even though it has really limited use. If you want to hit something that walls your EQ's and certain other ground based attacks you'd most likely carry stone edge anyway. Besides all that stuff I really don't think that there is anything more satisfying in competetive Pokémon than to hit a Bronzong with this move on switch-in and EQ the living hell out of it right after. :D

Ehhhhr, I should stop fangasming over Smack Down and talk a bit about other questions!

I do think Aquanova pretty much nailed the part on 'how' certain Pokémon use this attack. The biggest question for me is why the Pokémon that was hit does not simply fly up again... My best guess is that it's just really dizzy because it fell a few meters down to earth. Most birds, after crashing, need a bit of time before flying again, so that may or may not translate into the Pokémon world. Even though that would not explain why something like Bronzong wouldn't just start levitating again... Mh.
    Last edited by Johan; 6th October 2012 at 06:16 AM.
    They will make pigs of you all and they will bury their snouts into your ribs and they will eat your hearts.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I can easily imagine Rhyperior using Smack Down by using those holes on his hands, which is also how uses Rock Blast.

Unfortunately, I can't really imagine much of the move's use for several reasons:

- It's BP is low, so it's outclassed by Rock Slide and Stone Edge, unless one of its users has Technician
    - The opponent can easily switch out his Flying type/Levitater on the next turn after getting hit (assuming Stealth Rock isn't on the field)
    - The move seems to work best only in Double/Triple battles
    - This comic

In terms of competitive use I'd say that Gravity is a better option as the only real user is Landorus.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

For some reason, the animation and sound effects for Smack Down always make me laugh. It just seems like something out of a cartoon.

As for why the hit Pokemon can't just fly again straight away, I always imagined the rock as striking the other Pokemon on the noggin, making too dizzy to fly. If you've ever seen a bird crash into a window and have to rest for while before attempting to fly again, you'll know what I mean. Flight places intense demands on optical flow processing and proprioception, trying to fly with any these faculties compromised is really difficult.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

It looks like a damage-dealing Gravity to me. But why does it only have 50 base power, though?

Blog Entries

One thing I can imagine this move being used in a profession is to knock down fruits from trees, or things stuck on a tree without the need to climb to get it. It might also be used by poachers to knock down anything that flies without harming their own flight-based Pokemon, like Sigilyph.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    It looks like a damage-dealing Gravity to me. But why does it only have 50 base power, though?
    Maybe it's because Rock Throw also has 50 BP, in which both moves have a similar execution. Only exception is that Smack Down is 100% accurate, for some reason. Why do you think Smack Down is 100% accurate, compared to Rock Throw's 90%?

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Arms... like... nooodles! The Togekiss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow The Togekiss on Tumblr

My only reason I can come up with about why Smack Down is more accurate than rock throw is that either...
    A:The stone is bigger
    B:The stone is thrown so fast that the floating/flying Pokemon wouldn't have time to dodge.

My other thoughts is...
    How the hell is is a physical move if "The user throws a stone or projectile to attack an opponent."
    Does that still make is physical?

That's my thoughts on Smack Down for now, so thanks for reading.

My deviantArt account... http://thetogekiss.deviantart.com/
    Claimed: Togekiss (yay!) ,Oblivious, Pokeradar,and Razor Fang! July 8th, 2012, Air Slash July 20th, 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Togekiss View Post
    My only reason I can come up with about why Smack Down is more accurate than rock throw is that either...
    A:The stone is bigger
    B:The stone is thrown so fast that the floating/flying Pokemon wouldn't have time to dodge.

My other thoughts is...
    How the hell is is a physical move if "The user throws a stone or projectile to attack an opponent."
    Does that still make is physical?

That's my thoughts on Smack Down for now, so thanks for reading.
    It would likely be B, because if the stone is bigger, it would have more BP than Rock Throw because the bigger mass would hurt more.

Also, throwing stuff can still be Physical. Physical, in a sense, is materialistic. In this case, throwing a projectile is physical because the stone thrown is tangible. On the other hand, something Special is more towards being intangible, so you can't really touch a Giga Drain or Bug Buzz. Do note that not all Physical attacks make contact, which must be where your confusion come from. Some other Physical attacks that don't make contact are Bullet Seed, Stone Edge and Icicle Spear.

Thanks for reading.
    Enzap likes this.

Blog Entries

It is an interesting move, but I would like it more if it had a higher base power, something whiting 75 and 90 bp or if at least one Pokémon with technician were able to learn it.

Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

Whereas the animation for Rock Slide shows multiple rocks falling on the opponent, the animation for Smack Down only has one rock. This indicates that the Smack Down rock is more accurate because it's thrown at the opponent, rather than dropped without thought, giving the foe a chance to avoid them, but it's less powerful because only one rock hits the enemy instead of many.

As for how it fares in gameplay, I kinda like it. Rock-type moves are among the best offensive types, it's nice to have a physical Rock move with 100% accuracy, and being able to send a flier onto the ground is interesting, but the low power puts me off it. It seems like a waste making a flier vulnerable to Earthquake when the alternative Stone Edge could potentially cause more damage in one turn.

Who is this git?