Mispronounced Pokemon names that annoy you - Page 10
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Mispronounced Pokemon names that annoy you

Trophies

Default Re: Mispronounced Pokemon names that annoy you

I always end up skipping the "u" from Quilava and Masquerain :s

Pooch-y-en-a and Might-y-en-a. Should be Pooch-y-ee-na and Might-y-ee-na. Seeing as they get their names from the animal Hyena, Hy-ee-na.
    Robot Wars fan.

Razer Rotom - Electric/Steel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snowlioness87 View Post
    I was playing Pokemon Stadium recently, and one thing that stood out was the announcer pronouncing Ekans as "Eekans", similar to the word "eat." I am not one to make such a fuss over mispronunciations, but this was particularly grating to hear. It's funny, because I think the announcer also did voice work in the anime (the first voice of James) and pronounced the word Ekans like it should of been pronounced. It's just.. odd.
    The announcer. Oh god that announcer. It's like that for all those games. In Battle Revolution about half of the names are mispronounced in some way and the option to turn the guy off couldn't be more welcome.

I am Turkish and the turkish dub of the anime was pronouncing almost everything wrong. Here are some:

Gengar as jen-jar (like in Jenny) or even jin-jar. Also they were pronouncing mew and mewtwo with a v, instead of a. And I am not sure but Ivysaur was something like "I-was-ar". Shouldn't it be like ivy and saur ( as in dinosaur)

Going to second what Jimlaad43, I hate it when people cannot pronounce the 'yena names.
    I'm burning up with my hatred for you, runt!

Claims: Pyroar and Overheat

Blog Entries

I don't really know what the proper pronunciation for Arceus is, as in Britain we call Arceus 'arc-ee-us' instead of 'arse-ee-us' but in Arceus and the jewel of life it was pronounced 'Arse-ee-us' and I could not help but jeer 'The god of butts is descending from the heavens!' whenever Arceus appears.
    But it does make me cringe a little whenever I hear what I presume is the correct American way of saying its name... *giggles*

FC: 4725-8143-3936 Y: Serenade AS: Lys
    Claims: Mega Gyarados, Noble Roar, Stance Change, King's Rock, Reshiram Doll

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer BlackButterfree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow BlackButterfree On Twitter Add BlackButterfree on Facebook Add BlackButterfree on MySpace
    Follow BlackButterfree on Tumblr Visit BlackButterfree's Youtube Channel

To this day, I still hear "nye-do-ran" instead of "nee-do-ran". And to this day, I'm kind of self-conscious about being wrong (but I can't be. They have to sound similar to "needle" since their entire design is poison based)

I used to think Suicune was a play on the word "Suicide" so I pronounced it Soo-ee-soon. I'm really sorry for being dumb when I was younger.

Also, the one that gets me the most is Kyogre. I pronounce is Ky-ogre but a lot of people pronounce it Kai-ogre.. I'm not sure which one is right anymore.

Too bad I'm too impatient.

I feel that Pokémon can be correctly pronounced two ways. the first is based off of the japanese pronuciacion /pokemon/ with the o representing a long "o" sound and the e representing the long "a" sound. The second is based of the original english words "pocket monsters" /pɒkɪt mɒnstɚz/ which would tun into /pɒkɪmɒn/ with the ɒ representing the o in "pot" and the ɪ representing the i in "pit".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shokyoku View Post
    Also, the one that gets me the most is Kyogre. I pronounce is Ky-ogre but a lot of people pronounce it Kai-ogre.. I'm not sure which one is right anymore.
    I've always said it like "Kai-ogre". I think that's how they say it over in Japan, and it makes more sense... doesn't "kai" mean "sea" in Japanese?

Anyways, I get irritated whenever someone mispronounces any Pokemon name, and the main offenders usually have no idea what they're even talking about. Ever since I learned that an accent-E meant it made an "eh" noise, I've gotten annoyed by people saying "Po-KEE-mon" instead of "Po-kuh-mon". Come to think of it, it should be said like "Paw-keh-mon", like pocket monsters, the franchise's real name.. the more you know, the stranger the world becomes.
    3DS Friend Code: 3136-7234-1327
    Y: Black
    Alpha Sapphire: Marik

Claimer of the Keyblade, the Wabbajack, some Phoenix Down, Lucina, the Silver Bow, and Roxas.

Raikou
    Suicune
    Kyogre
    Arceus

There are more than this for sure xD

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOsprey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shokyoku View Post
    I've always said it like "Kai-ogre". I think that's how they say it over in Japan, and it makes more sense... doesn't "kai" mean "sea" in Japanese?
    Ah, I see. I get it now XD

Quote Originally Posted by xXMelanie_HimeXx View Post
    Raikou
    Suicune
    Kyogre
    Arceus

There are more than this for sure xD
    I used to pronounce Arceus as Arse-E-us.. Oh my goodness.

Too bad I'm too impatient.

Blog Entries

Personally, it f***s me off that the "correct" pronounciation of Arceus is Ark-key-us (or whatever it is) because I don't see a K in the word Arceus, do you?
    Bulbagarden Battle league Fairy Gym Leader (THIS IMPLIES NOTHING!!!)

Claims: Zorua, Night daze, Stance change, Yami (Okami), Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles), the Monado (Xenoblade Chronicles), the Celestial Brush (Okami), the Godbird's Soulstone (Dragon Quest: Journey of the Cursed King), the Stealth Claws (Kid Icarus: Uprising) and the songs Don't Ever Forget (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky) and Rising Sun (Okami).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssGardevoir View Post
    Personally, it f***s me off that the "correct" pronounciation of Arceus is Ark-key-us (or whatever it is) because I don't see a K in the word Arceus, do you?
    ARE-see-us was how it was said first and it's what most people go by, so I firmly stand by that as the correct version. That's also how it was said in Battle Revolution. I personally have never heard ARE-key-us outside of the movie and Pokedex 3D Pro.

Arceus at times, I admit it's Annoying, and Villion, for some Reason, Anime has Ignored the "L's" so I go with there Logic and say NO L's

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast